Role of luck in life success

Sorry, I try not to be "that guy", but D Day at Normandy was 6 June , 1944.

Great story though. I was suppose to be on a small plane and got bumped. Took greyhound instead. Plane crashed killing my whole town council. Had a few other close calls being a military guy. My mom passed over the I35 bridge in Minneapolis 15 minutes before it collapsed.

My good friend was 3 cars away from being on the bridge. I was out of town but a stressful few days as they recovered all the cadavers. Aint no way that bridge will ever fall again they built the new one earthquake proof.

After we get to the starting line of born in USA, white male, two educated parents, healthy, etc... that's where my questions begin regarding luck. I know plenty of white males with educated parents who were encouraged to go to college, had no abuse issues in the home and still somehow totally failed at life. I would think that all those starting at that relative leveraged starting point should/would do generally ok in life. Obviously not talking about a health issue or getting hit by a train. I'm talking about life choices I guess. I had some hiccups, parents divorced when I was 10, sister died of cancer when I was 23. Could I have done better? Of course. I haven't done too bad though. More than happy to be where I am and to have accomplished all of the things I have done. Don't think this arguement/discussion will ever be finalized. Luck plays A role. How much? Who knows.

I can't speak for others on the blog, but when your fraternal twin inherits a debilitating disease (that finally resulted in him being bed-bound for 3 years before death), you would be a fool not to recognize the huge role that luck plays.

(Yes, I also worked hard and went to grad school.)

I'm happily (recently) retired with my DW. Since we're financially secure for the rest of our lives; I guess we're successful. My CV - white, 2 non-divorced parents; neither went to college. They weren't well off but we were loved and felt secure growing up. I went to college but didn't graduate. I attribute my 'success' to an optomistic philosophy. No matter how poor i was or felt, I made my own fun, I always smiled and had a PMA. I think people around me who were able to make a difference in my life picked up on it and wanted to give me a leg up.

I'm sure I was lucky, I feel lucky

One aspect to consider is that some times what might be deemed as "bad luck" is actually beneficial, and what is deemed as "good luck" might turn out worse than "bad luck".

Some might think it "bad luck" that I grew up in the U.S as a minority at a time of tremendous prejudice and racism (and in fact, people being people, some level of prejudice and racism will always exist). However, I was taught by my parents (and perhaps that is where the "luck" comes in) to not worry about this "bad' luck, but to see it as a challenge to overcome. So all through school I worked for good grades and knowledge to show I was just as good - or better - than others. I had a personal goal of always trying to finish in the top 10% of any class or test that I took. This "bad luck" is what motivated me.

Perhaps, had I not been a minority, I would not have felt the need to motivate myself, to excel - and be content with just skating along, doing only as much as I needed to.

So, in some instances, perhaps "bad luck" or "good luck" does not matter - it can be what one attempts do regardless of their circumstances.

"The results of this elucidating simulation, which dovetail with a growing number of studies based on real-world data, strongly suggest that luck and opportunity play an underappreciated role in determining the final level of individual success. As the researchers point out, since rewards and resources are usually given to those who are already highly rewarded, this often causes a lack of opportunities for those who are most talented (i.e., have the greatest potential to actually benefit from the resources), and it doesn't take into account the important role of luck, which can emerge spontaneously throughout the creative process. "

Article also gets into effective funding strategies.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...ter-than-we-realized?utm_source=pocket-newtab

omni

Luck, who you know, what you know, and your family background all play a part in achieving success.

....Just because you have a toolbox, doesn't make you a master tech.:cool:

+1
Luck plays a role and has an effect on a person's life, but the ability to recognize a lucky opportunity, and capitalize on it turns some random event into a success.

Then there are the totally out of your control events that may happen and others classify as good or bad luck.

If anybody thinks luck is the sole determinant of success, then there is no need for any education, don't even need to know how to read or write.

I was lucky for the born poor parents I had. They worked their tails off & saved & kicked my butt. I observed. Has stood me well.

One aspect to consider is that some times what might be deemed as "bad luck" is actually beneficial, and what is deemed as "good luck" might turn out worse than "bad luck".

Some might think it "bad luck" that I grew up in the U.S as a minority at a time of tremendous prejudice and racism (and in fact, people being people, some level of prejudice and racism will always exist). However, I was taught by my parents (and perhaps that is where the "luck" comes in) to not worry about this "bad' luck, but to see it as a challenge to overcome. So all through school I worked for good grades and knowledge to show I was just as good - or better - than others. I had a personal goal of always trying to finish in the top 10% of any class or test that I took. This "bad luck" is what motivated me.

Perhaps, had I not been a minority, I would not have felt the need to motivate myself, to excel - and be content with just skating along, doing only as much as I needed to.

So, in some instances, perhaps "bad luck" or "good luck" does not matter - it can be what one attempts do regardless of their circumstances.

Tiger mom Amy Chua also wrote a book with her Jewish husband which suggests a combo of family chip on the shoulder sense of superiority combined with being part of a minority group is a formula for outlier success.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Triple_Package

Those two are insufferable in the way only Yale Law School professors can truly be.

I think some people make their own luck, even if they are unaware of it.

"Luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures." (Ron Swanson, Parks and Rec, 9th January 2014)
:)

I have alway felt that I was lucky in life, worked for a great company for 37 years and retired early because of that. However we have worked our butts off all along the way. We used to have a sign on out fridge that said "the harder I work, the luckier I get." no idea who said that but it always seemed to be true. Although as someone here said, I always considered it blessed more than luck.

Many of my friends say I am lucky to have a nice paid off farm, a beautiful RV/tow rig, happy kids, 31 years of marriage, a big 401K, still alive/thriving after everything I listed in post #86, and a waiting pension....they are correct, I am lucky, but there was sacrifice, and hard choices along the way. It wasn't all given to me, I had to earn all of that, and have discipline.....something many folks don't have these days.

Well, I was born in America (1:20), white (1:3?), male (1:2), into a doctor's family that appreciated education and could support my BA (1:5?). So basically before I had pooped in a diaper I had won the lottery. Buffett refers to this as "the ovarian lottery."

As a white male I don't see how I have gotten any advantage. I think being born into a family that is at least solid middle-class is a huge advantage over a poor family like mine. The other big advantage is genetics. If you are born with the genetics that make you likely to complete college that is huge. I had neither and have struggled thru life. I have seen no advantage at all for being male. The only sex discrimination I have seen in the workplace in 20+ years of working was a minor issue that was in favor of females. I do think there is a small disadvantage to being black in the US unless you are born into a wealthy family.

Say you own a small business and just starting out.A friend of yours knows someone who brings a great account to you.You are lucky for the initial opportunity but you have to be good at what you do to keep the account.That happened to me and I kept that account for 23 years until I retired and it was almost half my business.I was very lucky initially.

I’ve been “lucky.” That includes my youthful indiscretions like driving VERY fast. It also is true of my time in the infantry in Vietnam on my two year enlistment. (I wasn’t a draftee.). Most of my buddies were wounded and I had only cuts from the razor grass, well that and the malaria (but that was also lucky, as I missed a really bad mission.). And in the bigger picture, I got more than my share of intelligence, plus analytical ability and a quirky ability to remember things (both other forms of intelligence).

However, I also worked very hard. I sought out challenging positions in my career. I went back to grad school & I paid for 100% of my all education expenses - with some help from GI Bill and student loans, now long repaid. There was no parental contribution as they simply didn’t have it.

I also survived the cancer that was statistically related to Agent Orange. Was that “lucky?” I’d say “No,” the lucky course, was not getting cancer at all.

I grew up as a poor kid and didn’t want that to be my future. Some will say that was also “lucky,” cause it made or kept me ‘hungry,’ but given a choice, I’d take a different option on that.

So I’d say it’s a mix. If I’m assigning percentages, I’d make it 50/50. That extra dose of brains was certainly a huge help, but then I did cultivate it in my education and career.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s being argued that anyone is just lucky, and that their fate/status has nothing to do with hard work, discipline, determination, etc.

Louis Pasteur said "Luck favors the prepared mind" I've used that quote as my tag line for several years. I used to say an angel has been sitting on my shoulder to anyone who asked about the very successful business I started with 2 business partners. People would ask how I came to start the business and that was my stock response. One day DH looked at me and said "Stop giving credit to the angels. You've worked so hard for so many years. It is not luck or some higher power that made your business a success."

I stopped using the angel expression that day, but I do know that luck placed me at the right place at the right time, the day my partners and I jumped off a cliff and started a new business that took advantage of disruption in the telecom world. Had I not been at that place at that time, I probably would have found another opportunity along the way, perhaps not as lucrative.

Last Friday our kid was assigned to watch duty (later in the day) at the front desk of Building 633, NAS Pensacola.

Since he was assigned to stand watch that day he did not have to report for morning muster @0645...he was still home, off-base when the attack occurred.

His USNA classmate who was standing watch at the time was one of the three killed by the shooter.

RIP Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, USNA Class of 2019.

Last edited:
Last Friday our kid was assigned to watch duty (later in the day) at the front desk of Building 633, NAS Pensacola.

Since he was assigned to stand watch that day he did not have to report for morning muster @0645...he was still home, off-base when the attack occurred.

His USNA classmate who was standing watch at the time was one of the three killed by the shooter.

RIP...

I'm so sad to hear that, Bill. Ensign Watson will be remembered in Memorial Hall as long as USNA stands, although I know that will be scant solace to his family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom