Run, unclemick! (unclemick checks in on page 8!!!)

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Looks like Katrina is headed straight for NOLA and may be a category 4 :eek: storm when it hits. Time to batten the hatches! Stay safe, uncle. You know the drill, and you will be in my thoughts.

[Edited title to update that unclemick is safe and checked-in. -BMJ]

Re: Run, unclemick!

Bet he is stuck on I-10. Hope all goes well but it looks pretty ugly :-\

This is really scary. Katrina is now a category 5 storm headed straight toward NOLA. After tomorrow there might not be a New Orleans any more. I sincerely hope uncle has headed for the high ground. I don't think this is going to be pretty.

Unclemick- I hope you are safe on higher ground, or will be soon. Take care...we'll all be thinking about you on this board.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Let's pray the forces of Nature will be kind to you and NOLA.

Unclemick,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and sound. Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

unclemick- - -if you end up in central Texas I've got some of my world famous brisket for you as well as a pair of dry socks.
Socks:confused:  Oh, well never mind  about the socks. ;)
Good Luck

Same goes for Dog51 but he may be further inland. MS could get blasted as well.

wildcat said:
Same goes for Dog51 but he may be further inland.  MS could get blasted as well. 
I'm about 200 miles from the MS coast so hopefully we won't get hit too hard. Ivan caused some damage however. I just got back from Destin, FL and the drive through Mobile was not bad at all. We were not on the interstate very long as we used a 2 lane highway coming home.  Amazing how high the waves were this morning in Destin.  I was there for a company golf/fishing trip(SandDestin Beach resort). A beautiful resort you should try if you are ever in the area. I also want to wish Unclemick the best.

Used to live in Patterson La. sent my family away every time a hurricane was in the gulf. My wifes family is evacuating from Slidell now. We are on edge thinking about the loss of life that will occur. If you can get out, do so! This is not something to fight.

Unclemick, we are thinking about you. Stay safe! The overhead pictures of this monster are really frightening! :-\

Unclemick, I hope you are a long way from the shores of Lake Pontchatrain by now, 'cause headlines like this make a chill run up my spine:

Hurricane Could Leave 1 Million Homeless

We're anxious to hear from you, so give us a post when you get a chance.

REW

Zipper said:
I guess unclemick's chickens are coming home to roost after his comments on my "never build on a floodplain" post from a couple of months back! :'(

Nothing conveys concern and well-wishes to a guy running for his life better than "I told you so"... :p

REW

REWahoo! said:
Nothing conveys concern and well-wishes to a guy running for his life better than "I told you so"... :p

REW

REW: That's the kind of empathy I've come to expect from this particular poster. He's Canadian, and most of his posts are complaining about the U.S. (Unless of course, he can take a "cheap shot" at somebody.)

Unclemick will be fine. He has a stack of old coveralls to put on top of his 15 year old ford pickup truck that will keep him over the flood line.

I *do* have this story about an ex girlfriend that lives in the area named, of all things, Katrina. I sent her an email congratulating her on the escalation to a cat 5 storm. Theres a joke in here somewhere, I just cant find it. Perhaps I can count on my more jocular friends like Al, or John (if he had enough chardonnay with his filet mignon) to locate the pun?

I used to live in Baton Rouge. I think the storm surge could back the Mississippi all the way to BR. If they open the Atchafalaya floodgates, Morgan City could be washed away, too.

Bad rice, man. Gonna be a lot of water moccasins in closets by the end of the week.

Gypsy

I guess unclemick's chickens are coming home to roost after his comments on my "never build on a floodplain" post from a couple of months back!

Get a life loser

Last major storm unclemick headed for North Central Texas early enough to beat the rush. As his house is on stilts over the water I'm sure he's not toughing it out there.

I haven't seen storm damage assessments yet, but the satellite photos from this morning looks like NO got hit the the storm just NW of the eye...not as bad as NE of the eye but still devestating I'm sure.

I have been suprised how oblivious my co-workers have been about this storm. I used to live on the gulf coast and know how scary and dangerous this is. I hope uncle mick got out in time. My family evacuated early enough. These storms are nothing to mess with!

I am glad to hear that Unclemick is smart enough to leave before the hurricane. I hope the rest of his family and friends were as wise. As soon as I heard about the hurricane, I told my DH that I sure hope that Unclemick is OK and his response was who is Unclemick? After being married for almost 33 yrs, I am sure he is not looking forward to any new relatives!!! Good luck with everything Unclemick. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know that you are safe whenever you get the chance.

Dreamer

I was born and raised in New Orleans. Familiar with the hurricanes. My in-laws called Saturday to inform they were leaving New Orleans. Just talked to my SIL, who's in Shreveport; got the last room. She had spent the day looking for motel rooms and gasoline. Supposed to be coming here, but since she's got her grandkid and daughter, mebbe not. They probably should, since it appears that the water and elec will be contaminated and/or missing for weeks(s).

Here's betting that UncleMick is in north Louisiana or Texas. Just guessing. If he isn't, he better know how to swim. You can have a hurricane party, but not in a cat-5 storm.

Does anyone know where on Lake Pontchartrain his house is (hopefully still there)?

Attachments

• LakePontchartrain.jpg
    LakePontchartrain.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 133
  • LakePontchartrain.jpg_thumb
    39.4 KB · Views: 0

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=72.msg2953#msg2953

Slidell is the nearest dry ground - technically we're in the city and parish of New Orleans - the area has several names - Fort Pike/Rigolets/Lake Catherine/Salt Bayou/Pirates Harbor - the parish line is maybe a mile out in the water from our back deck.

I've never had any problems in New Orleans in 25 years but I agree it can be a rough town.

Anyone know anything about this area?

Edit: According to this report, the Slidell area looks like it was hit pretty bad:
http://tinyurl.com/b3jm3

Back
Top Bottom