Run, unclemick! (unclemick checks in on page 8!!!)

Re: Run, unclemick!

Google Earth places his fish camp somewhere just east of where the Interstate crosses the eastern part of the lake.

Sounds like its about in this location. :eek:

Attachments

• Location.jpg
    Location.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Location.jpg_thumb
    42 KB · Views: 2

From The Times-Picayune:

Across Lake Pontchartrain and closer to the site of Katrina’s landfall, thousands of homes in Slidell flooded. From the Interstate 10 overpass at Slidell’s Old Spanish Trail, the only visible structure from the dense commercial intersection was a boat bobbing on the waves.

“This is Lake Pontchartrain,” said St. Tammany deputy sheriff Kenny Kreeger.

I suspect the fish camp is gone. Since uncle wisely did not have much of his sash invested in it, I think he'll be alright. I am curious to hear if he will be rebuilding or if he has had enough. I know it is awfully hard to leave a spot you like that you have lived at for years.

I feel awful about unclemick's home. I bet he does not have anything
to go back to ...... but he is a survivor and will be OK. Best wishes,
uncle ..... God be with you.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie, as always, just radiates class. WHat charlie said I expect goes for all of us.

I know that uncle's loss is just the tip of the iceberg. How many hundreds of thousands of people have had their homes destroyed? I can't imagine that this mess will be cleaned up for months/years.

I know he mentioned several times that the fish camp was uninsurable. However, he did say that it was on stilts due to recurrent flooding. So if it withstood the wind, it may be in okay shape. Let's hope.

I think Uncle also has a soft spot in his heart for Colorado and of course, his native Washington. I don't remember than he has a laptop, so maybe we will just have to wait a while to hear from him. Last hurricane threat they all took off; he probalby did the same this time too.

Ha

I think he got a laptop for Christmas, when he ditched web tv.

Hopefully "the women" made him take it, along with the dog and cat.

Laptop? We're lucky he ever got off the WebTV! I seem to recall last hurricane he checked in from a relative's computer, but I expect he's busy trying to assess damage (remotely) and figuring out where he might move next.

From his description I don't expect the place survived a head-on hit from a cat 4 hurricane, but I expect he has the wherewithall to find another place. I expect his biggest problem will be fighting the women over the cost of the new digs.

I'm sure we'll hear from him when he needs a break from the women. ;)

(Cross-posted with Martha...didn't know he bought a laptop...he had been asking about cheap old PCs.)

Watching the news tonight, it does not look good. My heart goes out to so many of those people. My spouse, daughter and myself went to southern WV a couple of years back and helped with flood clean-up with our church. I can see my spouse and I being Red Cross volunteers when we are retired, as long as our health stays good. So many places in the hurricane's path need volunteers badly. I will be glad when we hear from Unclemick.

Dreamer

Dreamer said:
Watching the news tonight, it does not look good. My heart goes out to so many of those people.... I will be glad when we hear from Unclemick.

Yep, just thinking the same thing.

Makes the snipping and sniping going on here look pretty pathetic by comparison.

REW

I'm sure the list of concerns on Unclemicks mind is mighty long, but maybe he'll find a library along the way and internet home.
I'd feel really bad if he was holed up somewhere in Texas 50 miles from the McMansion and I didn't know it. :(

I hope this doesn't screw him out of his shot to be Federal Reserve Chairman ;)

Wow, I just got my first solid reports of the aftermath today. It sounds like the news could get worse, too.

This link will probably stay well-updated for new information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

Whether or not the house is still there on its stilts (I doubt it) it sounds like the area may be unlivable for a few weeks at least.

I've been wondering about Unclemick all day - I hope if anyone gets word of his whereabouts they'll post some news. What a devastating tragedy for so many people.

Here is my first e-mail from a family in the area:

My family and I are fine in Baton Rouge, just got electricity back today at noon. I have not heard from .... or any others in New Orleans - hope they left in time. I have an Uncle in Gulfport that was 89 yrs old and lived one block from the beach. He refused to leave with my aunt and he is probably dead - they say that the first six blocks back to the rr tracks are gone.

Baton Rouge was so lucky, a band of extremely hot air from Texas reached us just as the storm was East of us and you could see on the radar that the red bands just turned yellow (dropped in strength) as they got straight North in their counter clockwise spin and the cold air of the storm hit the warm air. Seriously- God Bless Texas!

Saw several news reports from Slidell today. It does look bad. Kept watching the video looking for a donut shop.... :-\

REW

Meridian, MS(200 miles from MS Coast) slowly getting some power back. Most residential areas still without power and probably will be for a week or two. Trees all over houses although I was lucky. One house in my neighborhood was totally demolised by 3 pine trees. I'm here at work as we have power and a/c. Several employees plan to spend the night in our offices due to the heat. I'm not complaining though. Those poor people on the coast and in New Orleans are in tough shape.

Me too. It doesn't sound pleasant, but compared to the full range of possibilities I am sure you are happy.

ha

Does anyone know where Uncle Mick lives? Is it SE of Slidell, on the NW shore of Lake Pontchartrain? Or is he on the New Orleans side of the Lake?

HaHa said:
Does anyone know where Uncle Mick lives? Is it SE of Slidell, on the NW shore of Lake Pontchartrain? Or is he on the New Orleans side of the Lake?

Ha: I'm pretty sure he is (was) on the New Orleans side, as I remember him stating on a post that he could be watching the Saints in about 14 minutes from his house. That's a pretty good sized lake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom