Samsung icemaker repair

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our icemaker in our Samsung refrigerator stopped working a couple of weeks ago. To my surprise, they covered the repair as "one-time warranty repair". Apparently they have a class action suit on these, though not my particular model.

Happy about that. But the repair guy was interesting. Really young guy, appeared to be in his 20s. He had called me and I noticed it was a Florida number. Did not answer. He appeared at my door. I had forgotten we scheduled the repair on Christmas eve but hey no ice for about 3 weeks now.

Well, by way of a little banter, I found out the dude lives in Tennessee and is staying at a hotel in Baltimore (we are outside Washington DC). Further in the conversation, he said the reason he lives in Tennessee is "because of taxes". He said he used to work for Dish but the company he works for got the contract to repair these Samsungs. So now he works on these I guess.

He said, "As long as they pay my travel and hotel, I'm happy. And there's good money in it."

So I was impressed with his industry and attitude. I also hope the ice maker is fixed.

LG has a big warranty extension and lawsuit settlement I read about in Consumer report.

Deadline to apply is Jan 11, 2021

https://lgfridgesettlement.com/

"You may be eligible for a cash payment if your LG Refrigerator, manufactured between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2017, stopped cooling, and you experienced delayed or unsuccessful repairs, replaced your LG Refrigerator or experienced property loss (spoiled food, beverages, medicine, or other perishables, or damage to your property)."

Last edited:
^ As far as I know, Sammy & LG are two completely different companies & big competitors.

Samsung has a big warranty extension and lawsuit settlement I read about in Consumer report.

Deadline to apply is Jan 11, 2021

https://lgfridgesettlement.com/

"You may be eligible for a cash payment if your LG Refrigerator, manufactured between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2017, stopped cooling, and you experienced delayed or unsuccessful repairs, replaced your LG Refrigerator or experienced property loss (spoiled food, beverages, medicine, or other perishables, or damage to your property)."

^ As far as I know, Sammy & LG are two completely different companies & big competitors.

Yes, that is the LG class action settlement. I just had my LG repaired last week for that very issue - needed a new compressor. Thankfully it only went bad in a way that couldn’t keep the freezer cold enough so we still had basic refrigeration for the week it took to get someone out here. Also lucky that I was in the 5year window to have no out of pocket, though I think the settlement would have covered any out of pocket anyway.

Thanks .. !!

I fixed the post.
I was up at 6 am to put out the garbage due to super windy night, and then couldn't fall back asleep, but didn't have my coffee. :facepalm:

Good thing I don't have to w*rk. :)

My 10+ year old LG fridge stopped cooling this week, but it was built before 2010, so not part of the class action settlement.

We have a two year old Samsung frig and the ice maker stops working about every month now. We pull the ice maker out, put two cups of boiling water in its place two times and make sure all the ice is melted inside. Then DH puts it back in and voila, we have ice. Is it a pain, yes, but we are down for only a short time. Apparently, getting a new part does NOT solve the problem.

My 10+ year old LG fridge stopped cooling this week, but it was built before 2010, so not part of the class action settlement.

Ouch...
Our fridge is old, about 20 yrs old, so I fear it will die on us, yet all the recent reports of lousy prone to break fridge stories I've heard on this forum prevent me from buying a new fridge until I'm forced into it.

We have a Samsung and had the same issue would need to get all the ice off it and put it back and it would work for a week or two. Finally called and they said that Samsung had a new replacement that will fix it. So far about 6 months in with the new ice maker and all is good.

We have a two year old Samsung frig and the ice maker stops working about every month now. We pull the ice maker out, put two cups of boiling water in its place two times and make sure all the ice is melted inside. Then DH puts it back in and voila, we have ice. Is it a pain, yes, but we are down for only a short time. Apparently, getting a new part does NOT solve the problem.

I did that every few weeks for 2 years! Finally decided it wasn't worth it. Cost me $350 to fix it. It's a known problem. The bulletin and Youtube videos are out there telling what the replacement is and how to fix it, but I ended up having a friend that owns an appliance repair company take care of it.

Beats having to buy a new fridge which I did in 2015 because my 8 year old GE fridge completely froze up and was going to cost $800 to fix. I have another friend that's the buyer for a large appliance retail shop. He said that most appliances today aren't designed to last more than 10 years - on purpose. My late fathers 1958 GE refrigerator was going strong after 60 years when he past away.

We have a Samsung and had the same issue would need to get all the ice off it and put it back and it would work for a week or two. Finally called and they said that Samsung had a new replacement that will fix it. So far about 6 months in with the new ice maker and all is good.

Mine's been about a year and no problems yet. My appliance repair friend said the "kit" SHOULD take care of the problem - if installed correctly. I read the instructions to see if I wanted to tackle it myself, and decided not to. It was pretty detailed.

Those ice makers freezing up was I think the basis for the class action suit!

These icemakers always seem to be the weakest link in the fridge.

Our Samsung had the same issue, the replacement upgrade worked! It was 2 years old, so we then remodeled the kitchen and moved it to the garage without ice line feed so no more issues. The 1 year old Monogram built in had issues with ice. The 2yr mfg warranty covered the guy coming out and installing the tray in the right direction, my bad. However the hidden drain hole at the bottom was plugged and caused the entire bottom to freeze over. He fixed that too, and now I know how to take it all apart to get to the defrost drain.

My wife trolls Facebook Marketplace religiously.

She says she's never seen so many appliances for sale that are LG and Samsung.

Samsung and LG look better than their quality.

All I can say is good luck to those with Samsung fridges...the one at our extended family's mountain cabin was barely out of warranty before the sealed system failed.

Had it just been the electronics board I could have picked one up off eBay for under $200, but once the sealed system fails it's time for a new fridge.

I will never buy a Samsung or LG fridge.

We bought a Samsung several years ago through Costco and have had the ice maker problem. Costco was a great help in arranging to have it serviced. The service guy installed some new parts and implemented some other changes and it was okay for a couple of years. It's froze up again about 3 months ago and then again last week. We have decided to proactively once a month pull the drawer and check for ice build up and defrost as necessary. Other than this ice maker issue we love the refrigerator.

I have a LG and just had the compressor replaced, thankfully, under warranty. It's just under 5 years old, so no out of pocket. I understand that over 5 years up to 10, I'd have to pay labor. It's sad that refrigerators are now like used cars where you have to weigh the cost of a repair against getting a new one. Given that our fridge would be around $2,500 to replace, it's hard to see a time when a repair wouldn't be the most logical choice. If I'm at 10 years and the compressor fails, a $1,000 repair will still be better than a $2,500+ new machine. Of course that assumes that everything else is still working well. I wonder how long it is before they start leasing refrigerators. Kind of like a phone - $200/month with bi-annual upgrade to the newest model. What a racket/joke.

Speaking of icemakers, when we got our new Amana, I asked the installer to remove the icemaker so we could have more room for food. He said he could not, as it was wired in.

As soon as he left, I removed the two mounting screws and pulled out the plug. I have a separate icemaker in the garage the can make 20 pounds a day.

It is not just those two brands.

We had the misfortune to have a Fridgidaire Professional series fridge. Piece of junk. Ice maked clanged, banged, gave up the ghost. Finally the freon or whatever gas is inside gave way. It was a great excuse to it to the curb.

Back
Top Bottom