Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
How far past closing are you on this house. I would be making some loud complaints to realtor. Also, if there was a house inspection done to be able to complete the close, I would be screaming like mad (diplomatically, that is) to the inspector!

A "coil" of D/W discharge hose on the bottom of cabinet does not sound like any half-way competent install I ever heard of---whether done by a big-box store install contractor or by a plumber.
Close was 12/15. Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed by the abandoned paint, all the trash left in the crawlspace under the front steps, and in drawers and shelves in the garage. Sadly this is california, we waived everything but the financing contingency to be competitive. So this is risk I accepted. :P Well, not the abandoned chemicals, that's literally illegal.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by the install quality on basically anything, the renovation was obviously done as cheaply as possible. But I set aside a couple hundred k for any repairs and upgrades, and we haven't moved out of our rental yet, so as long as I can get everything fixed up in the next 4 weeks, it is all good. Have to move into the house by mid march since our current landlord wants to sell the house we are renting.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
Didn't take a picture, temp fix was connecting the dishwasher directly to the inlet on the garbage disposal which works fine. DW measured the hose and determined that it didn't meet code in width either, so she ordered a new wider one and more hose clamps in case the existing ones are too small to slip over it. This is more work than I wanted to put into a dishwasher. :P hopefully the laundry machine has fewer issues.
My other recommendation is copper line (not plastic) for water supply to dishwashers and refrigerators.

I use copper line for both and have never had a leak in the 25+ years I've lived in my current home.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
My other recommendation is copper line (not plastic) for water supply to dishwashers and refrigerators.

I use copper line for both and have never had a leak in the 25+ years I've lived in my current home.
It depends on the water. One of my friends house uses well water which is slightly acidic. She lived in that house for over 40yrs and had to replace large section with pex because of the tiny holes of the original copper ones caused the peak.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
It depends on the water. One of my friends house uses well water which is slightly acidic. She lived in that house for over 40yrs and had to replace large section with pex because of the tiny holes of the original copper ones caused the peak.
True, water in some areas can cause pinhole leaks in copper but not here...it's much more likely to see plastic lines fail, often due to age (splitting/cracking)

I've also seen the plastic connectors crack due to age & then pop off...a neighbor who rented had to replace the entire ground floor when that happened to the fridge water line in-between tenants.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, homeownership, plumbing