Selling family "heirlooms" - ok or regret or ??

One of DW's passions is going to garage/estate sales on weekends to look for "antiques" and "fine china" that she thinks are undervalued. It started innocently enough---a little sculpture here, a little painting there---but gradually these things accumulated over the years, to the point that we now have hundreds of this stuff all over the house---in the garage, under the beds, in the cabinets.

I think that's fairly common. I have a neighbor whose husband did exactly that. He died ten years ago and she still has 90% of it. Her son came about two years ago and cleared out enough of the large 2-car garage to let her squeeze her little car into it, but it's still basically stuffed, along with most of the rooms in her house. It just doesn't bother her, so she hasn't done anything about it.

I see neat things in thrift stores, but I rarely buy anything. I was in Ironbridge at this big antique shop that had decent prices, and it was like any other museum but I could check things out better. There were some tools and a military spotting scope with all the kit and folding tripod for ~$75, but I realized I could get a modern set with probably better optics for a similar price.
There were some military fry and cooking pans that you simply cannot buy in that weight and quality, but the thought of packing them in luggage sent *me* packing.

Based on the comments thus far, (and my own philosophy):
1. Keep anything you want, can use, or has sentimental value.
2. Give away everything else, starting with asking family members and ending with thrift stores for your fav charities.
3. Do not hold any guilt with anything you gave away.

I have found you might have to re-process step 1. items again in 5 years or so.........

it is an evolution for sure. My poor DSIL is stuck with placing some intrinsic value on things based on the people that once held them dear, and she is functionally paralyzed by it.
What a sad waste of her and DB's times.

Excatly my suggestion, and what I am finally doing now, after all the parents have died.
If it is family, GIVE IT. That means so much more than $40 or $400 or $4000.
I'm now selling more buyable items at a consignment store.
But so much more just got given away. I think of that the same way as I think of donating money to charities. If they can make use or make money, then that's a good deed. If I think something was "worth $$ value" and feel an itch of greed, I remind myself: it's ok, I've donated that value, just as if I gave away money to charity.
Good luck, the emotions are the landmines.

Are your parents still alive? If so, you should probably keep the heirlooms until they pass, to prevent any hard feelings.

If not, feel free to get rid of things you don’t want. Since it sounds like the money value of any of the items is relatively low, my first move would be to contact cousins/ other family members to ask if they want any of the treasures (given not sold).

If anything is left I would them sell or donate, depending on the return of $ for effort of selling

That's a good idea. We have included the list of heirloom items on a schedule for our living trust, but all the same, I fear that they will still get lost in the shuffle because there will be a lot of other junks for our kids to sort through.
Give the stuff to them to hold now. Letting them know the value of the pieces.

Myself, I had the garage sale bug, and finally stopped attending them to cure myself. I've sold some of the stuff but in the end the rest will be tossed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom