Shouldn't ac drainpipe face down?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our home has two heat pumps. The photos are of the rear one, with the attached drain. Shouldn't the pipe point down, not up as in the photo?

This unit has has problems with the drain line clogging, causing the unit to cut out. We call a technician who uses a shop vac to clean out the line. I asked the last one about the drain pipe; he just shrugged. The other unit's pipe points down.

Tried searching for the owner's manual (Goodman GSX160361FA), no luck. Before calling the manufacturer, thought I would ask the wise souls here.

Thanks,
Amethyst

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_070140327.jpg
    IMG_20200516_070140327.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20200516_070151588.jpg
    IMG_20200516_070151588.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20200516_070242685.jpg
    IMG_20200516_070242685.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 68
Yes, water runs down hill.

My HVAC condensate outdoor drain points straight up about 1". Not sure why but my guess is so that it isn't totally dry so bugs and other critters can't crawl up the pipe. By having a little bit of it up it acts like a plumbing p-trap.... trapping a bit of water at the level of the drain exit.

yes that's the outside drip. But in FL, even with a perfect setup, you will want to hose flush that line out from the inside unit usually at least once a year.

I've seen them point up or have a trap in the line to keep some amount of water in the line so mud daubers and other insects don't clog the line with a nest. At least that's the logic.

So, insect nest makes a clog or water and sludge make a clog. Either way it's clogged.

I know someone who is responsible for minor upkeep on a commercial property in order to obtain a reduced monthly rent. One of his tasks is to put bleach in each of the condensate lines once a quarter to kill/remove algae from the line. Seems to work for him.

Ours point up. Plumber pointed pot the water keeps bugs out, especially dirt dobbers from building nest open the pipe.

One of his tasks is to put bleach in each of the condensate lines once a quarter to kill/remove algae from the line. Seems to work for him.

That's what I do. My setup drains to a small pump and then it is pumped up to a drain. I was told to and I do put some bleach in the opening, which is built into the line, a couple times a year. I live in a northern climate so not as critical but if I don't, I do notice a musty smell from my furnace/air.

Putting bleach in drain line is a good idea. I saw one person who didn't do it, and mold plugged the line, resulting in A/C water spilling onto the floor, and creeping under the carpet.
It turned into a big carpet repair, due to not noticing the issue all summer long.

Condensation collecting in the exhaust is dripping onto the conduit below.
Why is there a brown stain along the length of exhaust pipe?
The situation needs more analysis and a permanent fix.

Here is one theory. If there is no P trap upstream of that pipe, cold air from the AC plenum can blow out the pipe. The pipe gets cool, water condenses on it and drips to the bottom and eventually off the low point where it hits the flexible conduit. Having the tip turned up like it is should create a trap at the end, though. :confused:

Just a guess, but the drain pipe may not even be glued at the elbow where stain starts. Could even be intentional, so you can pull the pipe and clean (unclog it) periodically.

Putting bleach in drain line is a good idea. I saw one person who didn't do it, and mold plugged the line, resulting in A/C water spilling onto the floor, and creeping under the carpet.
It turned into a big carpet repair, due to not noticing the issue all summer long.

We pour in vinegar.

Now I'm wondering if I should point mine upwards?? Would have never thought about it.......:facepalm:

My HVAC condensate outdoor drain points straight up about 1". Not sure why but my guess is so that it isn't totally dry so bugs and other critters can't crawl up the pipe. By having a little bit of it up it acts like a plumbing p-trap.... trapping a bit of water at the level of the drain exit.

Correct.

Now, in regions where you have cold winters, this presents a little problem - that if you don't drain the water out, when the water freezes it can break through the PVC pipe.

I learned this one summer when the A/C was on and we had a puddle/leaking from the ceiling in our garage (under where the A/C unit is located). When I went in the attic above the garage to check, I found what was done 20+ years earlier when it was installed. The installer fashioned a p-trap with the PVC - must have heated it up and bent it in to a U shape. However, at the bottom of the U, it was cracked from when the water froze so the water went right through.

All the ones I've seen point down.

I do about a cup of bleach once a year and rarely have a problem. Every AC I've seen here in Texas has a place to pour bleach into the condensate drain. It's easy to spot near the AC coils in the attic or wherever. Sometimes there is a cap on it (not glued). Sometimes not.

Also, most systems I've seen have a primary condensate drain that is tied into the house's plumbing system somewhere. Then there's a secondary drain, which gets used if the primary gets clogged. The secondary drain is always outside in an obvious place to alert the homeowner. At DMIL's house, it drips from the eave right outside her kitchen window. At DS's house, it drips on his patio.

If the secondary gets clogged, it's easy to clear it with a shop vac where it exits the house outside. If the primary gets clogged, it can be more problematic. At DMIL's house, the primary is plumbed into one of the sinks in her master bath just above the p-trap. When hers clogged, and would not clear with bleach, I had to remove the p-trap and shop-vac the line from there.

Our very old house has 3 AC systems, all of which have primary and secondary condensate drains. But I can't find where the primary drains tie into the house plumbing. It must be in a wall. So when they clog I have to shoot compressed air from the top where I pour the bleach. One note from experience: never try bleach first and then compressed air. :facepalm:

Good catch...
Appears the pipe is not completely sealed/glued into the joint allowing water to seep out and stain, plus creating an unwelcome issue of putting water onto wires.

Every A/C installation I've ever seen has the condensate line running downhill with no traps in it. That doesn't mean there's no reason not to have one though as others pointed out.

On the topic of cleaning out a condensate line, I found this neat little gadget that is elegant in it's simplicity. One end plugs into the condensate line and the other to your shop vac. Kind of pricey ($25) for three pieces of plastic glued together but since it's a one time purchase I bought one. Naturally there have been no clogs since then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYZ6REM?tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Attachments

• diyvac_.jpg
    diyvac_.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 21
While working I learned the Universal Laws of Plumbing Engineering:

1. Hot on the left.
2. Cold on the right.
3. Water flows downhill unless it's pumped.
4. Payday's on Friday.
5. The boss is a jerk.

I heard these same things, in that order, at jobs with at least five different employers.

A plumber taught me "lefty loosey, righty tighty" for unscrewing pipes, hoses, etc.

1. Hot on the left.
2. Cold on the right.
4. Payday's on Friday.
5. The boss is a jerk.

I heard these same things, in that order, at jobs with at least five different employers.

Yep, ours points upward slightly also, and I was told it is best to have it that way to prevent bugs from crawling up the pipe.

I know someone who is responsible for minor upkeep on a commercial property in order to obtain a reduced monthly rent. One of his tasks is to put bleach in each of the condensate lines once a quarter to kill/remove algae from the line. Seems to work for him.

I learned the hard way after moving into my South FL house that I need to service my A/C drain line once a month by adding either diluted bleach (1:10 in winter; 2:10 in summer) or distilled white vinegar to the line. Haven't had any drain line clogging problems since starting this routine. Good luck! :greetings10:

1. Hot on the left.
2. Cold on the right.
4. Payday's on Friday.
5. The boss is a jerk.

{edited}

6. lefty loosey
7. righty tighty

A few more-

8. I work harder than most other people here.
9. I could do most other people's jobs as good or better than them
10. Nobody (or few) could do my job as well as I do it.

Regarding rule #3- I had a technical rep try to sell me one time on using a valve- I asked for a flow characteristics chart- he said it would flow x gpm. I asked at what pressure- he responded- "At any pressure!" I did not go much further looking at that valve. It had some other issues, technically competent reps were just one of the problems.

Back
Top Bottom