Six Year POTUS Term?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
After doing some research I'm thinking that a single six year term may be a better way to provide the President with enough leeway to get the job done. It's one of the few things that we can learn from the Mexicans.

Many second terms are often a waste of time and energy, oh yea, and money.

Jefferson did that Louisiana purchase thing in term one. In term two he was just bizarre, even tried to dispose of the Navy. Andy Jackson's 2nd go round was error prone and economic disaster prevailed with the banks. Polk ran only to acquire Texas, then he split. Lincoln sorta lucked out when he had that mishap at Fords Theater that night. He would have had to deal with the reconstruction mess and that may have ruined his legacy.

Wilson did all of his reforming in term #1 and in #2 he repudiated his pledge to stay out of WWI and post war disaster. FDR did all of his New Dealing in his first term, but in his second go-round he fought often with the Supreme Court and got the recession to drag on. Lucky for him WWII came along during #3 and he was able to bail himself out.

Ike didn't do much but cruise along the first time and continued that course during tour #2. Nixon? First time out ended VN war, cranked up relations W/China, etc but Watergate ended it for him during #2. Reagan's first years were definitely the best as #two and all of that Iran/Contra mess broke it up. Clinton reved it up during #1, but Monica, cigars, and trouble with the truth did him in for #2. GWB probably would have had a better legacy if he were not around for round number two, what with those wars and that big financial problem.

If these guys would have avoided a second term and just had a single burst of six, things may have ended up better. That's all I'm saying.

I've thought this myself quite often. I'm sure there are pitfalls (lame duck from day 1), but it seems better than spending the first four years campaigning for a second term.

It could be a good idea, if it is combined with other reforms e.g. campaign and primary system - somehow it needs to be no more than 6 months from beginning of candidate's campaign to swearing in day. If not, then as Harley mentions the POTUS will be a lame duck from day one or at least the last year - so make it a 7 year term - get 6 good years out of the guy?

I like your points and the idea.

I think it might be a good idea too, but I also think there ain't an ice cube's
chance in hell of amending the Constitution to make it so, due to partisanship
and concern with the immediate effect. For example, suppose there was a
move to do it now. Does Obama get six years and he can't run in 2014 ? Does
he get a chance to repeat and that for a 6-year term ? Does he only get 4 years
if he's re-elected in 2012 but his Republican opponent would get 6 years ? You
can see the problem, I think; any solution would meet furious opposition from
one party or the other.

Is there any possible way that this thread has enough relevance to ER to avoid being Soapbox fodder?

I'm an amateur student of history at best, but I think all the presidential behaviors described in support of a six-year term are far too simplified and lacking in context to be able to afford a clear causation of the apparent correlation.

Is there any possible way that this thread has enough relevance to ER to avoid being Soapbox fodder?

I'm an amateur student of history at best, but I think all the presidential behaviors described in support of a six-year term are far too simplified and lacking in context to be able to afford a clear causation of the apparent correlation.

There weren't that many that fulfilled two full terms only 13
WikiAnswers - How many US Presidents served two terms

It appears it was proposed before.
Limit presidents to one six-year term - Roanoke.com

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/11/26/specials/schlesinger-6year.html

You can already vote for term limits--never vote for an incumbent, ever, no matter what. That's what I'm doing.

Interesting that as soon as Obama became President the talk of "longer terms" and even "unlimited terms" has resurfaced...........

As far as the soapbox argument goes, I tried that one on the War on Drugs thread. It appears that as long as the thread is in the Other forum and is not partisan and confrontational it is allowed for general discussion. Since this one is a exercise in theory I think it will be allowed. Unless we start calling each other names, you hoser! :flowers:

I think Im heading to that not vote at all camp :angel:

edit

oh and hoser. I love it!

Interesting that as soon as Obama became President the talk of "longer terms" and even "unlimited terms" has resurfaced...........

Actually, I think a single 6 year term is a (potentially) shorter term. :cool:

It would take a Constitutional Amendment - today's chances of one of those happening are ZERO (on this subject). If they made effective in about 50 years from enactment, maybe they could get a positive vote (takes a lot more than a simple majority (as I remember).

It appears that as long as the thread is in the Other forum and is not partisan and confrontational it is allowed for general discussion. Since this one is a exercise in theory I think it will be allowed. Unless we start calling each other names, you hoser! :flowers:
The moderator team gives this post "Two Thumbs Up". :)

Back
Top Bottom