Something I never noticed before

HaHa said:
This is truly a fractured metaphor. If you are all on the same base, all but one are out.

Ha
:LOL: good point.

HaHa said:
This is truly a fractured metaphor. If you are all on the same base, all but one are out.

Ha
Unless it is home base after a home run :LOL:

While we're on the topic of sports cliches and pet peeves, could I vent about a couple more?

1. Why are sportscasters always hypothesizing about being someone else? Seriously! How many times do you hear them say things like, "If I'm Mike Holmgren I've got to be thinking about plays for Wallace." Well, you're NOT Mike, so why don't you just say, "Holmgren has got to be thinking..." Even more rediculous, they say such things as, "If I'm the Seahawks right now, I'm going to be worried...." Now you think you could be the whole team?!?! ARGGGH!

2. This one has been irking me for years. It mostly happens in the post-game interviews. "How important was it to win this game?" "How worried were you when Hasselbeck when out?" "How good does it feel to know Alexander is going to be coming back next week?" In my opinion, these questions all ask the listener to quantify "how much" of something. When I hear them I shout back at the reporter, "7!" "132!" "1.414."

Am I the only freak who thinks about grammar when watching football??

Sheryl said:

Absolutely not!! There are definitely other freaks who think about grammar when watching footbll.

The rest of us just sit around in old, worn out sweat suits drinking beer and vegitating.

youbet said:
The rest of us just sit around in old, worn out sweat suits drinking beer and vegitating.

I think that's "vegetating." ;)

Sheryl said:
I don't watch football, but I've read grammar books...

I think the sportscasters have to work with a fixed amount of time and a very limited vocabulary (grunting & exclamations don't count). So if they're doing their jobs properly, their sentences are going to be verbose yet short on substance. Stretched-out sound-bite deadline journalism...

Sheryl said:
I think that's "vegetating." ;)

Not after I've been drinking beer and watching football. :LOL:

BTW, how 'bout dem Bears, huh? :D They are on their bye week, so really had to get creative about reasons to lounge around and drink beer today.

When they played last Monday night Sheryl, I thought the announcers were really bad. Eventually, I turned down the volume on the tv and turned on coverage from the local radio station and it was a big improvement.

Those radio guys must have paid attention in grammar class! And they would probably make fewer typos if they were posting on this board! ;)

Don't wanna hear nuttin' 'bout no stinkin' bears. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And I don't need to hear anything from Minnesota either! :'(

I try to watch tv and listen to the radio during baseball season, but the time delay on the tv makes it really difficult.

Sheryl said:
I try to watch tv and listen to the radio during baseball season, but the time delay on the tv makes it really difficult.

It continues to sound like you're not drinking enough beer during these games Sheryl! Lip movement vs. sound coordination is not relevent once you have an appropriate beer buzz going! :D

youbet said:
It continues to sound like you're not drinking enough beer during these games Sheryl! Lip movement vs. sound coordination is not relevent once you have an appropriate beer buzz going! :D

Spoken from a true professional.

youbet said:

I obviously have not perfected my skills, oh great master. I will practice diligently tonight during game 3. I have at least three more tries to get it right this season.

Sheryl said:
I will practice diligently tonight during game 3. I have at least three more tries to get it right this season.

Enjoy!

As a Cubs fan, savoring a pint or two during a World Series game is about the only enjoymentavailable for me. Our Cubbies........ The Doormats of the National League! :'(

youbet said:
Enjoy!

As a Cubs fan, savoring a pint or two during a World Series game is about the only enjoymentavailable for me. Our Cubbies........ The Doormats of the National League! :'(

That should all change now that you have Sweet Lou on board. I miss Lou! No one could throw first base further than him!

Sheryl said:
That should all change now that you have Sweet Lou on board. I miss Lou! No one could throw first base further than him!

Yeah! I saw that on a newsclip the other day! Should be interesting.......

He did not have a lot of communication skills but he knew how to coach a baseball team. His basic reply to any question from the press was, "We just have to go out there and win baseball games."

Mr._johngalt said:
About as insightful as Nords' financial advice. :)

JG

Hey JG, as long as we're totally off topic, where can I get a 9.9 Marineer fixed in northern Illinois? I had it tilted up out of the water and it got forced down bending the cam followers that hold in the tilt positions.

Mr._johngalt said:
About as insightful as Nords' financial advice. :)
How would you recognize insightful financial advice before it bit you on the assets?

Nords said:
How would you recognize insightful financial advice before it bit you on the assets?
I have two words for you . . . Junk bonds. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

youbet said:
Hey JG, as long as we're totally off topic, where can I get a 9.9 Marineer fixed in northern Illinois? I had it tilted up out of the water and it got forced down bending the cam followers that hold in the tilt positions.

Even Keel Marine in Rockford 815-963-1105
Celletti's Sportland in Rock Falls 815-625-1506

If you have the time to wait, I also have a "shade tree" guy
(very sharp). PM me if you want that info.

JG

Back
Top Bottom