Something I never noticed before

Martha said:
I also cannot stand the word "pro-active."

I know someone who always says, "don't be re-active, be pro-active." Huh?

Another abomination: "incentivize", and its butt-ugly cousin "incent". It disturbs me that they are appearing in dictionaries; I know language is evolutionary, but really....
End of old phart rant.

Bobot said:
Another abomination: "incentivize", and its butt-ugly cousin "incent". It disturbs me that they are appearing in dictionaries; I know language is evolutionary, but really....
End of old phart rant.

The same guy I know that says proactive also uses "incentivize." Yucky yucky yuck.

donheff said:
What schools youbet? I went to Sutherland Grammar School and Morgan Park HS.

Don

Don...... Oriole Park Grammar School and Taft High. Wife went to Schurz and her brothers went to Lane Tech. Grew up around 7600W and 5400N.

Martha said:
The same guy I know that says proactive also uses "incentivize." Yucky yucky yuck.

Oh, do NOT get me started on corporate, dilbert-speak. I've has my fill of words used in the incorrect context. Things such as: "reach out", "radar", "great call out". There's more, but I don't want to remember :p. I'm still detoxifying from voluntary termination from a six year stint at mega corp.

Martha said:

Nice to find others feel as I do about "proactive". I wince every time I hear
it.

JG

I think my grammer and spelling is pretty good considering English is my second language. When I figure out what my first language is I'll be all set! :D

cube_rat said:
Oh, do NOT get me started on corporate, dilbert-speak. I've has my fill of words used in the incorrect context. Things such as: "reach out", "radar", "great call out". There's more, but I don't want to remember :p. I'm still detoxifying from voluntary termination from a six year stint at mega corp.

It must be empowering to have pulled the trigger and be moving forward and taking the next steps towards using your core competencies. At the end of the day, we are on the same page.

Martha said:
It must be empowering to have pulled the trigger and be moving forward and taking the next steps towards using your core competencies. At the end of the day, we are on the same page.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: SCREAAAAAMMMM :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Martha said:

It's a strange feeling. Sometimes the universe works in odd ways in terms of timing. My other job, at a much smaller, privately held company doesn't start for a few weeks. I feel like the detoxification from previous employer will allow me to start anew without having to "turn down the intensity volume" during the ramp up phase with my new employer. I think mega corp turns one into a zombie on some level and at the same time (with me), turns one into a intense freak monkey in order to get noticed by executive management. Does that make sense? Sorry, I tried to articulate my feelings the best I possibly could here.

My Dream: Sorry for the highjack ;) Carry on, folks...

cube_rat said:

http://www.bull****bingo.net/cards/bull****/

edited to fix link

hmmm. don't know what the problem is. JUst google "bull**** bingo"

Well, that didn't work either. Am I being censored?

consider the following, re the play "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?".
1) last night i attended "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?".
2) have you seen "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"?
3) the best play ever was "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"!
while all three sentences look a bit odd, they are indeed correct.

cube_rat said:
It's a strange feeling. Sometimes the universe works in odd ways in terms of timing. My other job, at a much smaller, privately held company doesn't start for a few weeks. I feel like the detoxification from previous employer will allow me to start anew without having to "turn down the intensity volume" during the ramp up phase with my new employer. I think mega corp turns one into a zombie on some level and at the same time (with me), turns one into a intense freak monkey in order to get noticed by executive management. Does that make sense? Sorry, I tried to articulate my feelings the best I possibly could here.

Cubie, just reach out to us, Hon'. We're here for you. :)

I learned "reach out" from NYPD Blue. I like the term; it helped me to open myself up and ask for help when I needed it. Most of those others words stink, but maybe "reach out" is in different category? To me it expresses feelings that are not otherwise easily expressed. One might say, "Ask for help", but this is too explicit, and doesn't fully convey the feeling of seeking human contact in a time of difficulty or stress.

BTW, I agree with you about work in a big hierarchy. It's like a high-low hit in football. Cuts you in half.

Ha

some time ago i received an e-mail from London which used a word i had never seen before ... as i read it, my immediate response was "why can't they just speak English!" ... the word was not to be found in any American dictionary but was, as one would fully expect, contained in the Oxford English Dictionary.

my most hated corporate phrase is "value proposition" ... which i think means "the deception used to get someone to overpay"

cube_rat said:

My Dream: Sorry for the highjack ;) Carry on, folks...

One thing I have really learned from this forum is that I am very glad I never took a job with a big corporation.

d said:
....my most hated corporate phrase is "value proposition" ... which i think means "the deception used to get someone to overpay"
I think that might be the definition from the cynics dictionary. Or maybe Dilbert has a dictionary now? IMHO value proposition is corporate-speak invented to ensure that sales organizations continue to focus on customer value rather than product features. So my reaction to it is somewhat more positive.

OTOH there are many example of corporate-speak that do offend...

Martha said:
Synergistically or paradigmatically?

Bobot said:
hmmm. don't know what the problem is. JUst google "bull**** bingo"
Well, that didn't work either. Am I being censored?
Yes. The software has a "Censored Words" feature that replaces some words with socially-acceptable asterisks (or other words).

Martha said:
One thing I have really learned from this forum is that I am very glad I never took a job with a big corporation.

Over the last 30 years, working in a big US corportion has become a sucker's game. I believe that the scientific term is "meatware."

jeff2006 said:
Over the last 30 years, working in a big US corportion has become a sucker's game. I believe that the scientific term is "meatware."

Or the other term I like to use for mega corps: "Whorehouses"

jeff2006 said:

And the more loyal the employee is to the corporation, the more of a sucker he is.

Martha said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

One of my partners and I have finally laid down a "no more bad cliche's" rule. The other partner spews them like spit every time he talks. Especially the bad sports references.

"At the end of the day, we have to make sure we're all on the the same base. " We're really going to hit a home run with this one. It was a slam dunk.

Sheryl said:
One of my partners and I have finally laid down a "no more bad cliche's" rule. The other partner spews them like spit every time he talks. Especially the bad sports references.
Sounds like it's time for cliché bingo during meetings...

It's 24-7 FUD with a dog & pony show in big bidness these days...no wonder we wanna retire early.

Sheryl said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"At the end of the day, we have to make sure we're all on the the same base. "

This is truly a fractured metaphor. If you are all on the same base, all but one are out.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom