Spending on pets? Cat in the ER

I'm with Dave Ramsey, if one of my pets needs expensive surgery. Sorry, Fluffy ain't gonna make it.

I didn’t share with others how devastated I felt when I had the emergency vet euthanize my beloved cat. I thought no one would really understand the pain, because he wasn’t human. But it’s comforting to know there’s a whole community here who very much understand how you feel about the loss of your cat. I can recall the day after, I went to his empty bed and whispered his name. He always answered me back with a soft “Mrrrrup!” But the silence that answered me back that evening was deafening, and I finally accepted that he was really gone. My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved cat, badatmath.

Our pets are our constant companions and provide so much love and entertainment. They are family members. It’s the reason I carry pet insurance so I don’t need to make hard decisions based on just finances. I think in retirement they become even more important because we are home more without going to work.

I lost a cat and later had a dream. In the dream the cat showed up outside the glass door. A friend of mine was there and said, "Oh, look who is here." I replied, "I know, it's too bad we can't let him in."

I lost a cat and later had a dream. In the dream the cat showed up outside the glass door. A friend of mine was there and said, "Oh, look who is here." I replied, "I know, it's too bad we can't let him in."

Awwww. I feel so good when waking up from a dream featuring one of my deceased cats. It puts a smile on my face for much of the day.

I didn’t share with others how devastated I felt when I had the emergency vet euthanize my beloved cat. I thought no one would really understand the pain, because he wasn’t human. But it’s comforting to know there’s a whole community here who very much understand how you feel about the loss of your cat.

I've encountered two people in my life who were not sympathetic to the loss of my pets, and their reactions stung. Neither had pets, nor liked animals. In my experience, those who have pets are empathetic. Not making a blanket statement about all pet owners ... just my experience.

Part of our routine was that he would wake me up for his breakfast and medicine. It feels so weird to have nothing to get up for.

We rescued a couple of tomcats 15 years ago. Had to put one down this past year and that was pretty tough. The other one is hanging on at (we think) 16+ years old, but now requires a lot more attention and vet work than he did when younger. I figure we owe it to him for all the good years. I have to say, though, that I don't think we'll be up for this kind of time commitment again after he's gone.

So sorry, badatmath. This hits close to home because I just got off the phone with my son, who is having a similar issue with his cat right now. He has been losing a lot of weight, but otherwise pretty good. Took him to the vet today, and they found a mass in his belly, and red blood count really low. I think he is opting to just managing his comfort. Vet expects his body to start shutting down in a matter of weeks. Always a hard decision, and my son has been very close to this cat, but it has had other health issues.
My son is having the worst Christmas ever. With the 12 yr old cat sick, he wanted to stay home so I drove down there and spent Christmas there. The cat is in his final days, will eat and drink a bit and waddles painfully to the litter box 5 feet away but mostly sleeps in his bed. Just a matter of time and he figures he'd be calling the vet Monday or Tuesday unless he rallies.

Then overnight his other 11 yr old cat was making distressful noises. Something around 2am, then again at 5am and we both came out and found him having a seizure in the living room, and bleeding from his mouth. At his vet visit a week ago the vet pointed out one bad tooth and son was going to schedule treatment for it. Maybe that is the problem. He's at the emergency vet now, while I stay home with the other cat, who so far doesn't seem any worse than yesterday.

RunningBum ... what a rough situation. Sorry for your son and the kitties. Hoping things get better.

I'm so sorry for your loss, badatmath. We recently went through the lab test shuffle with, ironically, our younger cat, just before Thanksgiving. Now we have the older one with more medical issues, but lucky for him he's too dumb to know he's supposed to be sick! He has Cushing's, which is supposed to be rare in cats, except that this is our second one. At least there's medication for it now, there wasn't when the first one had it 10+ years ago.

Thanks, TCA. RB, the only thing worse than having one sick cat would be having 2 at once. It is nice you are there to help.

Cat #2 is doing ok. Blood levels pretty normal. No clue on the seizure. We think he probably bit something in his mouth to make it bleed, because the tooth doesn't look too bad. So he came back home and scarfed down some food and roamed the house.

The clock is winding down on Cat #1. Likely that tomorrow is his last day. I offered to stay but my son wants time alone with him. This cat was his companion through some tough times so there's a true bond. I'm back home now. Gave my own cat a big hug.

Cat #2 is doing ok. Blood levels pretty normal. No clue on the seizure. We think he probably bit something in his mouth to make it bleed, because the tooth doesn't look too bad. So he came back home and scarfed down some food and roamed the house.

The clock is winding down on Cat #1. Likely that tomorrow is his last day. I offered to stay but my son wants time alone with him. This cat was his companion through some tough times so there's a true bond. I'm back home now. Gave my own cat a big hug.

Oh man...my deepest condolences RB. Pets are family and losing them can be excruciatingly painful.

Poor cat didn't even make it through the day. Hard to hear the hurt in my son's voice.

I lost my cat of 20 years earlier this year and my heart aches for everyone who has lost their loved companion. My sincere sympathies.

RB, sorry to hear. KK, sorry for your loss also. They are such good little friends.

Back
Top Bottom