Spyware

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi

I am tangomonster's DH and have a question about spyware. I am currently running SpyBot Search and Destroy, AdAware (free version), and Window's Defender. These are all free programs. Is this enough or are there other free or paid Spyware programs that would give me additional protection against spyware/malware. I feel there are things lurking on the computer that aren't caught by these programs but maybe if they aren't caught they aren't really a concern.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the full suite of McAfee protection, but I also use AVG Free anti-spyware (Khan gave you the link) and it consistently finds things that McAfee does not find. So I use both of them and run AVG once a day. So far only one high risk item found so far but many medium risk items have been identified and deleted.

CCleaner

CCleaner -http://www.ccleaner.com

Formerly called Crap Cleaner.

On the Mac side...

People might be interested in this:

Little Snitch

It detects any outgoing activity, and you configure it to allow only what you want.

From the reviews, I have yet to see anyone claim there was any spyware detected on their Mac. But people seem to be upset that their purchased programs are 'phoning home'. I would think most of these are just checking for updates.

At any rate, if some form of spyware were to get into your Mac (still no existence of any in the real world AFAIK), this should catch it if it tried to send out passwords or anything.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom