squeaks on wide right turns

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was driving my mom's car today.

When the steering wheel is turned to make a wide right turn such getting onto a ramp to merge onto a highway I hear squeaks/squealing.
What could be causing this?
It does not happen when making wide left turns.

Probably a front wheel bearing. If you jack up one front tire at a time and grab the tire at 12 and 6, then 3 and 9 and try to rock it, you will feel the loose bearing.

Last edited:
Could be a number of things. Squeaks and squeals sounds like brakes, which should self-adjust after a while. If it's wheel bearings, it's typically more of a grumble or groan noise. Depending on the type of car, it could also be a power steering problem.

With luck, it's a power steering belt slipping. Bearings in my experience don't squeal. It's more of a low frequency grinding sound. Some pad wear indicators make a sort of squealing sound, too, but that probably wouldn't happen so rarely.

A CV joint can also make noise in turns, but not typically a squeak. More like a clicking when turning.

I agree it is probably the brake pad wear indicator, when you make the turn there is the slightest amount of distortion in the suspension that allows that little tab to contact the rotor and make the squeaking noise.

As any good neighborhood mechanic will tell you:

• It's a very tricky and difficult repair
  • Nobody else in town will do it, but I have a lot of experience with this
  • There may be some special parts I'll have to order
  • I'm up to here in work, so just leave it and I'll call you

:cool:

A CV joint can also make noise in turns, but not typically a squeak. More like a clicking when turning.

I agree it is probably the brake pad wear indicator, when you make the turn there is the slightest amount of distortion in the suspension that allows that little tab to contact the rotor and make the squeaking noise.

It is hard to describe the noise.
Definitely not clicking.

And it is not very loud, so if the radio is on, you wouldn't hear it.

It is hard to describe the noise.
Definitely not clicking.

And it is not very loud, so if the radio is on, you wouldn't hear it.
I'm going with wheel bearing as Travelover said.
In fact I'm going with the left front wheel bearing!

Well it's probably not the starter this time... :LOL::LOL::LOL: Wait, that's from another thread.

First thing I'd check (with the engine off and cool) is the power steering fluid levels and then the power steering belt for tension and/or wear. Next I'd check the steering control arms and front suspension for excessive play. Why, because they can all be checked in less than 5 minutes total and all can make such noises.

Then I'd probably pull the front wheels and check the wheel bearings for damage, wear and lack of grease. Check both left and right. While possible, brake pads would not be my first guess since brake problems usually make such noises when applying the brakes, unless a pad is not releasing (stuck piston).

You didn't say what kind of car it is or how many miles it has on it, but if it's a front wheel drive car it could be a lot of "other things". Various joints, belts, etc....

Last edited:
If it's the worn-brake "detector", you should probably be able to see it up against the rotor when you pull the wheel. It's been a long time, but IIRC I had this happen on a rental (and they wouldn't deal with it) so I bent the thing away from the rotor. No more noise - of course, I'm sure the rotor was trashed 2000 miles later.:facepalm:

Sometimes you get a squeak from a brake pad/rotor if one or more of the caliper pins is sticking or the rotor is slightly warped. That squeak would cycle in proportion to the speed that the wheel (the one on the road, not the steering wheel) is turning.

Back
Top Bottom