Steaming Veggies in the Microwave

DW bought a gadget about 10 years ago and it's still in use today. Plastic unit about 10" in diameter, bottom pan about 1" deep, main dish about 4" deep with many holes in the bottom, top lid has a slot for steam to escape. 1/2 " of water in the bottom steams veggies and taters perfectly. Have never seen another one since we purchased this unit. Sort of like a rice cooker but better. Think she got it on Home Shopping.

I steam veggies in the microwave but don't use plastic wrap and don't buy special bags.... I am waaay too cheap and fundamentally suspicious of super heated plastic.

I put washed veggies (or frozen) in a ceramic bowl like a cereal bowl or large soup bowl add a small amount of water and cover with a salad plate or saucer. The plate sits on the bowl right side up and any steam collects on the underside of plate and drips back into bowl. The slight slope of the underside of the plate makes this work well. If you invert the plate, steam escapes and veggies boil dry. When veggies are done, the plate covering them can become the serving dish or if a bowl is a better service choice, just leave as is. Why use plastic, when there's no need?

Taters... I start in microwave and finish in the oven if I have time. They just taste better. :)

Ditto. Unless I am doing something very special with my veggies, this is how we always cook them in my household (except green beans, they get carmelized in butter in the iron skillet).

Ditto. Unless I am doing something very special with my veggies, this is how we always cook them in my household (except green beans, they get carmelized in butter in the iron skillet).

This reminded me of this tip on cooking frozen corn. (Yeah, I snickered when I first heard about it but, oh, how delicious the corn turned out to be.) I have tried it in other dishes since watching the video and can highly recommend this process.

America's Test Kitchen TV OnDemand
(And then click on "Quesadillas" on the left.)

We cook fresh corn on the cob in its own husk in the microwave. Comes out fantastic!

Audrey

The trick to cooking great potatoes in the microwave is to nuke them for 3-5 minutes, or until you can stick a fork in them, then wrap them in aluminum foil for at least 5-10 min.

This works great with squash, too. Cut it up, remove seeds, brush with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, nuke until it's "fork-soft", wrap in foil and let it sit.

Many of you see cooking as a form of entertainment. I see cooking at home as mostly refueling-- the frugal acquisition of essential nutrients that's one step healthier than having McDonald's delivered daily.

Jamie Oliver: 'Eat your chips,' just not every day - CNN.com

When celebrity chef Jamie Oliver sat down for an interview with CNN -- just after giving a speech in which he railed against America's unhealthy food system -- he remarked that he was tired and wished he had a beer.

That's the charm of Oliver -- the dynamic cook who grew up working in his dad's pub in Essex, England, and went on to become "The Naked Chef." He doesn't seem particularly interested in food rules. He just wants people to be healthier. And to be healthier, he says, we need to learn where our food comes from and to know how to cook it.

Be sure to also watch the "$100,000 and One Wish" video (left side mid-page).

For Mr. Oliver's TED speech go to:

Jamie Oliver's TED Prize wish: Teach every child about food | Video on TED.com

I'm not sure what you're telling me, but I can see that post may have given the impression that we're eating poorly.

We eat so damn healthily, and with so few processed ingredients or convenience foods, that I can hardly stand it. My point is that we don't spend one more minute or erg of effort on our diet than seems necessary, and if we invested any less effort then we'd have to have the food delivered. We even have our kid doing most of the grocery shopping these days, which she's young enough to think is fun and exciting.

I've noticed that we eat more salad if we buy the bagged stuff than if we depend on one of us to start tearing & slicing...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're telling me, ...

Actually, I meant nothing by it. Certainly, nothing personal. I was merely pointing out the importance of "honoring the kitchen gods" during the preparation process.

Back
Top Bottom