Sully retires

When so many actions done by people are called heroic, when in fact they may not be and the word is being used exaggeratively, then the word becomes useless in the extreme connotative sense. We then struggle to find another word to express what we really mean - hence the discussion in this thread. It's sad as there are truly some good words that have lost their ability to influence due to the mis-application of them to more routine instances.
The other day I found myself saying "But this was when the Bronze Star actually meant something"...

Was his co-pilot a hero? I doubt he just set there and watched! Most likely called things like air speed, altitude, and maned the radios and coordinated with the rest of the crew. How about the rest of the crew? The prepared the cabin, and got everyone off after the landing, no simple task in itself, however, they are not on the media's 'hero watch'. Sully did what he was paid to do, and in the process of saving his life he brought the rest of them along for the ride. In my book, a good pilot, not necessarily a hero.

So it was just a "bad day at work", and Sully just calmly put a plane down in the Hudson, and then went and had a couple drinks? Gotcha............:)

Yep, that's how I see it! I hit a bird at over 500 mph and less than 500 ft. It ripped the front radar cpver off the aircraft and rolled it up over the front. We recovered the aircraft and landed. Went to the bar that night and had a drink with the co-pilot.

A stock car racer blows a tire and steers the car away from the grand stands, saves hundreds. Hero?

A doctor catches a bleeder and saves the patients life, Hero?

This could go on forever. Sully had no other choice but to do what he had trained all his life to do. Lucky for the passengers on board.

Yep, that's how I see it! I hit a bird at over 500 mph and less than 500 ft. It ripped the front radar cpver off the aircraft and rolled it up over the front. We recovered the aircraft and landed. Went to the bar that night and had a drink with the co-pilot.

A stock car racer blows a tire and steers the car away from the grand stands, saves hundreds. Hero?

A doctor catches a bleeder and saves the patients life, Hero?

This could go on forever. Sully had no other choice but to do what he had trained all his life to do. Lucky for the passengers on board.

I think a person's frame of reference is what defines a hero to me. Along with my dad, my grandfather was my hero. Imagine my surprise when I found out at his funeral that not only did he fight in World War I, he was awarded the Silver Star. He never mentioned it to me so I never knew about it until his funeral, when some local vets from the American Legion and VFW showed up......

He NEVER would have allowed anyone to call him a hero. My dad doesn't even know the whole story.............grandpa would have just said he was "doing what needed to be done".........;)

He was a hero to me, but then again, that's MY frame of reference........:)

Yep, that's how I see it! I hit a bird at over 500 mph and less than 500 ft. It ripped the front radar cpver off the aircraft and rolled it up over the front.

Hey, I remember seeing an incredible photo of an F-111 or FB-111 with damage like that, I think it was on the back cover of TAC's safety magazine from about 1980-1983. The fiberglass strands from the radome were completely unwound and streaming back over the airframe of the 'vaark, it looked like a giant cartoon exploding cigar. Very impressive. Was this possibly your jet?

It was the vark. F-111. I did not see the safety magazine, and I was in Europe as a Forward Air Controller in the 80-83 time frame. It was around 76 or 77 when we took out the buzzard. Never saw it coming. Just doing what we were paid to do. Saved the tax payers about $17,000,000 not counting the cleaning of the flight suit.

Flying is a lot more dramatic to non pilots than pilots. I have yet to talk to another pilot that thinks Sully is a hero. Most of the non pilots do.

...grandpa would have just said he was "doing what needed to be done".........;)

He was a hero to me, but then again, that's MY frame of reference........:)
He decided to keep it to himself because he could. Sully did not have that choice. He would have if he could have.

Flying is a lot more dramatic to non pilots than pilots. I have yet to talk to another pilot that thinks Sully is a hero. Most of the non pilots do.
I'd guess that, to most pilots, being complimented for an outstanding piece of flying is just as welcome as being called a hero. I think anyone would give Sully an A+ for airmanship. He'd clearly thought about the "what if's" well in advance, which all aviators are trained to do, but getting everything right at the moment of truth is what counts.

If safety investigators, with the luxury of hours of time and an A320 simulator, had determined that he could have made it to Teterboro instead of ditching in the Hudson, Sully would be a goat.

It helps that he's a solid, humble, and genuinely nice guy. He checked that everyone was off the jet, grabbed the maintenance log book (the flight's not over 'till the paperwork is done! ) and went out on the wing with everyone else. And I've never heard him speak that he didn't share the credit with every member of the crew, which is right. A class act, and so much different from the idols served up by Hollywood.

If safety investigators, with the luxury of hours of time and an A320 simulator, had determined that he could have made it to Teterboro instead of ditching in the Hudson, Sully would be a goat.

It helps that he's a solid, humble, and genuinely nice guy. He checked that everyone was off the jet, grabbed the maintenance log book (the flight's not over 'till the paperwork is done! ) and went out on the wing with everyone else. And I've never heard him speak that he didn't share the credit with every member of the crew, which is right. A class act, and so much different from the idols served up by Hollywood.

I liked that next week he called the local library to find out about paying for the lost library book. It was in the cargo hull, the library waived the fine..
I also understand that when they crew and many passengers held a reunion a year latter they put up several items related to the flight on ebay and donated the money to Haiti relief.

Sully is a class act for sure. And a great aviator. Far better than me.

I am a year older than Sully and I keep asking my wife, "do I look that old?."

The other day I found myself saying "But this was when the Bronze Star actually meant something"...

Nords, I know what you mean.

Attachments

• free nobel prize.jpg
    free nobel prize.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom