Tell us a few little things you do to save money

I refill water bottles at our sink every morning. We bought a Culligan bar faucet and filter system a few years ago at Lowes. I change the filter twice a year.

Once a month we get new bottles. It's a big day at our house.

No suggestions here. I've reached the point in life where I'm not all that concerned about how hard I can squeeze a nickel. I figure I've already won that game.

I also think that I've also already won the game, but don't see it as squeezing a nickel...I see it as making smart choices so that my hard earned money can be better used for the things that I enjoy.

No suggestions here. I've reached the point in life where I'm not all that concerned about how hard I can squeeze a nickel. I figure I've already won that game.

+1

Note, these are things I do that save $ but I don't do them to save $. I do these things because that's how I like things done. Big difference.

+1

Like you, I have some money saving habits just because that's how I like things done. Some of the things I like to do, that I didn't mention in my prior post on this thread:

(1) Hair: Like the Jeffersons, I'm "movin' on up".... specifically, I used to cut my own hair but now I have it cut at Supercuts twice a year. I get a dollar off because of the senior rate. I cut it for many years while saving for retirement, but I was never very good at it and despite my curls, it looked a little wild. I never colored my hair, and do not go to a hairdresser. I use Suave shampoo because I like it, not because it is cheap. Total yearly hair expense: $31.90 for two trips to Supercuts plus a few bucks for shampoo.

(3) I don't drink, either at home or out. The reasons are many, including family history, weight loss difficulties, the fact that I don't actually like alcoholic drinks much, and the cost. There is one exception: a tsp of sherry floated on top of a cup of turtle soup. But turtle soup is getting harder to find at restaurants here than it once was, and no way am I cooking a turtle so it's been probably 5-10 years since I have had that most divine of soups.

(4) I don't travel or entertain. Don't like either one.

(5) I never have more than one light on at a time, right where I am in the house. I automatically shut the lights out when I leave a room. I doubt I could do otherwise after all these years. My brain would probably short circuit. ;)

I refill water bottles at our sink every morning. We bought a Culligan bar faucet and filter system a few years ago at Lowes. I change the filter twice a year.

Hah. We do this as well--but no filtering system, and we only get new Dasani bottles when one breaks--and they last a long time....

I didn't think of this as a cost saver, but I guess it is.

We do caution guests about the situation though!

Hah. We do this as well--but no filtering system, and we only get new Dasani bottles when one breaks--and they last a long time....

We keep a few "Virgins" in the fridge for guests.

Enough nickels can add up to tens of thousands of dollars a year, which in turn can add up to millions of dollars over decades of retirement.

This is REALLY little but it's an example of how frugal I can get. Two years ago when DH and I moved, we signed on with a trash collector who issued us a giant trash can and charged $3/month rent on it. I recently realized that after 2 years they'd undoubtedly recovered the cost of the can and then some! I bought a much smaller one and told them to take the giant one away. I'll break even in 6 months.

I also get the AAA rate on hotels when I stay overnight on road trips.

Water where we live in Oregon is kinda feh - but really good at one of the rentals in a nearby town. We drive by that rental to fill gallon jugs. My gal shifted from constant diet Dr. Pepper to fizzy water. We buy a few cases of Perrier (from Costco) a year to keep the bottles looking presentable, I've rigged about 20 bottle caps with metal tire valves, and bought pressure regulators and 20# CO2 tanks for north and south homes. Have maybe $200 into the rigs and figure a 15oz bottle of fizzy water runs us a couple cents. Figure we made back what we spent in about 100 days - and have CO2 for a year or more.

This is REALLY little but it's an example of how frugal I can get. Two years ago when DH and I moved, we signed on with a trash collector who issued us a giant trash can and charged $3/month rent on it. I recently realized that after 2 years they'd undoubtedly recovered the cost of the can and then some! I bought a much smaller one and told them to take the giant one away. I'll break even in 6 months.

I also get the AAA rate on hotels when I stay overnight on road trips.

Our trash company picks up garbage weekly - or once/month. We pay for the 1x/month service - it is plenty as we don't generate much garbage and do recycle.

Work my a$$ off doing major projects so I don't have to pay someone else. I have the time.

There is a local free outdoor concert thing that goes on during the summer. They sell 12 ounce "pints" of beer for $6.00. I used to buy it, feeling guilty about hearing good music for free. Started thinking of the huge property taxes I pay to (partially) fund the free music, stopped being a sucker and lost the guilt trip, now I have a few of my own brewskis at home before attending. No more $6.00 12 ounce "pints" for me. Cost savings in the hundreds of dollars per year.

When you get to "use both sides of the TP" I think you've carried things too far.

When I was punching the clock, I trained my body to take care of business when I was in the office. Used their TP, their water, and they cleaned the bathrooms.

I was at the factory one day, and was not fully versed in how the bargaining unit managed their time. I was in a bathroom near the assembly line during the scheduled morning break (9:00 to 9:15) completing a major transaction. One of the line workers saw a closed stall door and yelled "Who the he** is in here sh***ing on their own time?!!".

When I was punching the clock, I trained my body to take care of business when I was in the office. Used their TP, their water, and they cleaned the bathrooms.

I was at the factory one day, and was not fully versed in how the bargaining unit managed their time. I was in a bathroom near the assembly line during the scheduled morning break (9:00 to 9:15) completing a major transaction. One of the line workers saw a closed stall door and yelled "Who the he** is in here sh***ing on their own time?!!".

OK, I was going to post this before , but since you opened up the door on this ill follow suit:D. When guys were buying their own homes, I noticed these same ones would start to come to work early, shave and shower at the police station. I finally asked them why you come to work so early now that you bought a house in Long Island? answer "Because I cant afford the hot water" hahaha

[emoji23]
We also refill water bottles, but try to keep a few unopened ones in the fridge for guests. Good friends are happy to use the recycled ones.

Another small thing- the electric company offered me a free Nest thermostat and an annual credit of $50 if I agreed to let them cycle my A/C on and off during peak demand periods. I love having a thermostat I can control from a smartphone, especially when I travel. I can keep the house at a safe but uncomfortable temperature when I'm gone and reset an hour or so before I return.

Another small thing- the electric company offered me a free Nest thermostat and an annual credit of $50 if I agreed to let them cycle my A/C on and off during peak demand periods. I love having a thermostat I can control from a smartphone, especially when I travel. I can keep the house at a safe but uncomfortable temperature when I'm gone and reset an hour or so before I return.

I have a thermostat that can be controlled with my smart phone...I love being able to adjust the temperature when I'm not home. But, I'd never give someone else control over it.

What I did today....

Cancelled DirecTV at $119/mo, started DirecTvNow at $35/mo (will probably cost another $5/mo when they start the Streaming DVR which I will add.

Changed from AT&T for 3 lines, unlimited Text and 15GB Data at $178/mo, starting TING at planned average of $75/mo

Total monthly planned change of $187/mo or $2,244/year!

Several years ago, in my past business life, I was working with the VP Retail of a large integrated oil and gas company.

Gas prices were up. His comment was that people complain so much when the price of gas increases yet in their retail stores bottled water actually sells for more money than the gasoline. And his margin is much higher. Yet they never have a complaint about the price of water in their service stations.

I have a thermostat that can be controlled with my smart phone...I love being able to adjust the temperature when I'm not home. But, I'd never give someone else control over it.

+1

One last thing...while I change my blade once every six months, I only shave every 4 or 5 days and I store the blade in my office (dry place) vs. in the bathroom (humid place). That's probably a lot more than you wanted to know about razors and shaving, but every 4 or 5 days, I go through the same 5 minute routine and it works for me.
I dry the blade in my towel, and if the weather is humid, I soak it in olive oil. Seems to last indefinitely. Don't tell Warren!

Save money? guess that is different than making money from credit card bonus offers. Just got done combining Chase reward points from four cards onto one. These are cards gal and I have had for under ten months and we've already used points and perks on two trips flying to Calgary and Portland. The combined card now has over 360,000 points, worth $3600 in cash or $5400 in travel. This while only spending on normal stuff.

I mean, I also use my razor for over a month, but in terms of monetary difference in our lives?...

We wash out plastic baggies...
Eat lots of Ramen Noodles
& Beans and Rice...with a little Bush Meat from time to time to add some mystery.....
Do not do anything for entertainment ~10 months of the year....

But only because we are in 3rd world country working....

to stack up the bucks until we FIRE in about 2 years.....

Back
Top Bottom