Thanksgiving Dinner for two

cathy63

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We usually go to a friends party for at least 20 people, but that's obviously not happening this year, so I've been scrounging around for interesting recipes that feel like it's a holiday but won't leave us with too many leftovers.

I'm going to try this Turkey Porchetta for the main course https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/turkey-porchetta-food-lab-recipe.html and this Apple Fritter Cake with Butterscotch Glaze for dessert https://www.latimes.com/recipe/apple-fritter-cake-with-butterscotch-glaze-recipe (might need to use an incognito or in-private window to see that one if it's behind the paywall). Haven't decided on side dishes yet, but probably mashed potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts.

What is everyone else making for this year's smaller Thanksgiving dinners (or if you're in Canada, what did you make)?

It's just the young wife and me this year. The menu will be an 8 lb. roasted stuffed chicken (she hasn't yet decided whether to put sausage in the stuffing); sauteed green beans with shallots and bacon; garlic mashed potatoes with gravy; sourdough bread with home churned butter; and pumpkin pie. All with a bottle of good Chardonnay. I expect we'll have plenty of leftovers, and we'll use the chicken carcass to make and can some chicken stock.

We care going to celebrate by ordering bento boxes from the fake Japanese food restaurant. Yum!
Even though our state allows indoor dining at 25% capacity this restaurant is still strictly takeout and delivery.

We have a bubble of 4 households... two married couples and two widows. We do a lot of activities together... 5 of us just went out to dinner for the first time in quite a while tonight.

We have an 11# bird on tap... not sure of the rest of the plan other than DW is in charge of the stuffing.. not my department. But we ofter have maple glazed baby carrots for thanksgiving.

Are you ready for some football?

Last year I smoked a turkey breast for us even though we later joined a group for a meal. It came out so great that I plan to do it again this year. I smoked another this summer, so I didn’t wait until Thanksgiving for a repeat.

I ordered two traditional dinners from a local deli/restaurant. A treat for me (no cooking) and supporting a local restaurant.

My son's MIL is frail and lives alone, I assume they are having her for dinner. DH & I are not cloistered so it is better (lest risky) if we stay home.

Last year I smoked a turkey breast for us even though we later joined a group for a meal. It came out so great that I plan to do it again this year. I smoked another this summer, so I didn’t wait until Thanksgiving for a repeat.
That sounds really good. Any tips for keeping it moist? Internal temp? What cooking temp and time?

I'm going to smoke some salmon as an appetizer for DM's rotisserie leg of lamb.

This is SO EASY.
Julia Child’s Leg of Lamb
Gigot a la Moutarde
(Herbal Mustard coating for roast lamb)

For a 6-lb. leg of lamb
½ c. Dijon-type prepared mustard
2 tb soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. thyme
¼ tsp powdered ginger
5 tb olive oil
Paint the lam with the mixture and set it on the rack of a roasting pan. Leave on for several hours before cooking
350 oven for 1-1/4 hrs. for medium and 1-1/2 hrs. for well done.

For two people, I've just got two words:

Cracker Barrel

Recipes from where I grew up that tastes exactly like what my grandmother cooked. We eat "dressing" in the south--never stuffing.

We love having leftovers from turkey/stuffing/potatoes. Our gathering will probably only be us, and the kids with their spouse (so 6 instead of 10). I think our parents will be staying home.

That sounds really good. Any tips for keeping it moist? Internal temp? What cooking temp and time?

I'm going to smoke some salmon as an appetizer for DM's rotisserie leg of lamb.
Brining! Essential for smoked poultry. Comes out super moist and no basting needed - super easy. I put some sage in the brine and tucked a few leaves under the skin. Really added.

Probably smoked for about 3 hours at 225? Then I turn up the heat to 325 to finish off. Depends on the size of course.

Picture in this post plus follow up discussion. I answer some questions. https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/restaurants-in-trouble-104925-7.html#post2466543

Last edited:
It has always been just the two of us and DS. Isn’t it interesting how we already have the whole menu planned out? I’m doing a traditional roast turkey, cooked after I cut it into parts, a bread and sausage dressing, mashed cauliflower, and green beans. Instead of pumpkin pie, it will be the filling of a chiffon pumpkin pie put into dessert glasses as a mousse.

It’s all low carb. I’ll use my low carb rolls instead of the bread, and a stevia based brown sugar substitute for the mousse. Also butternut squash instead of pumpkin. It’s a little tastier. Gravy will be thickened with xanthan gum instead of flour.

We usually play cards or a board game between an early dinner and a later dessert.

A couple of times we went to a local hotel feast instead of cooking. It was very festive.

My best holiday memories were Thanksgiving night.

My grandmother would make four big pans of yeast rolls cooked in butter, and we'd stuff rolls with the leftover turkey and ham .

My cousin and I would embarrass ourselves putting down so many rolls. And I still use her roll recipe that I make on holidays.

I will pick up a turkey breast only, instead of a whole bird. Still some decent leftovers (DH likes to make turkey sandwiches) and we'll do a rerun dinner with them probably on the weekend.

Cornish Game Hens
+1

We frequently prepare these. Spatchcock and sous vide for a while and finish on the grill. A single bird is perfect for us.

This year DW bought a prepared turkey breast roll with stuffing and cranberries.

My grandmother would make four big pans of yeast rolls cooked in butter, and we'd stuff rolls with the leftover turkey and ham .

My cousin and I would embarrass ourselves putting down so many rolls. And I still use her roll recipe that I make on holidays.

If you can, can you share your grama's roll recipe?

For two people, I've just got two words:

Cracker Barrel

Recipes from where I grew up that tastes exactly like what my grandmother cooked. We eat "dressing" in the south--never stuffing.

LOL, Cracker Barrel hasn't made it to coastal So Cal yet. I do like them when we're traveling though.

Well, it will just be DH and I, but I am making a large meal and will take servings over to DS and DD houses.
I already bought ingredients a few weeks ago, just a change in gathering plans.

Menu:
12 lb turkey
Sage and apple Dressing
Sweet potatoe
Mashed potatoe
Gravy
Apple salad
Pumpkin and Pecan pie

YUM! My Grandmas yeast rolls were the best, also!

We're still debating whether to simply cook a chicken & mashed potatoes, or make some beef stew in the 8 quart crock pot. An advantage of the stew is that it makes the whole house smell good for most of the day. And two gallons of beef stew will last us for a very long time.

Just the 2 of us this year also.
I have no idea what the wife is dreaming up but know it will be good.
Usually meet at my sisters with up to 35 people (yeah it's a lot but I have 5 brothers and sister, married, all with several kids) and have to cook (2) 25-30 lb turkeys.

Heritage breed, pasture raised turkey from a local farm. Just a 12 pounder and will be smoked/cooked on the rotisserie in the Big Green Egg. The other thing I always look forward to is DW's pumpkin pie; there is simply none better. Most likely supplemented with a pint of Graeter's ice cream, the best in the world.

Back
Top Bottom