The old CRV is still alive and. Kicking

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The old 2005 CRV is closing on 150,000 it is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have to laugh at 120,000 miles the generator went $800. The Honda people said most people would not fix it. 30,000 miles later I’m sure glad we did. The good people of this forum convinced me to hang onto the car... Thanks all.

For the last 9 months it sat a good deal along with our other 2 cars. This past Thursday Cool Hand and I checked and topped off the fluids in preparation for his Friday departure for college.

We got a call an hour ago “the check engine light came on” he was planning a trip to visit some friends at another campus. After a few questions about “did you put the gas cap on snuggly?” I did some poking on the internet and the likely candidate is the O2 sensor. 150k miles so I’m not surprised..

“No you can’t drive an hour to see friends” He would have with that light on if I didn’t say that would be a bad idea. His mom and I are cautious people - this guys a risk taker.. all I can say is yikes

Last edited:
Honda's are known for lasting a long time.

Tell me - was his visit to friends going to involve social distance? Hopefully he won't be part of the covid statistics of returning college students.

Tell me - was his visit to friends going to involve social distance? Hopefully he won't be part of the covid statistics of returning college students.

In truth I didn’t want him going anywhere but he’s 21 I can make suggestions but I don’t issue mandates. We have chatted about the disease, the danger to his mom and I I think he’s being careful. I suspect If a 20 year old coed bats her eyes at him caution will be thrown to the wind.

Sounds like a very good car - especially for the college experience.

8 years ago, bought a 1998 Mercedes ML350 for 17 yo DD to drive and then take to college.

It is now my Home Depot/dump truck and has 202,000 miles. Not exactly a peach to look at, but is safe, reliable and mechanically sound.

I am shooting for 238,000 miles (which is the distance from earth to moon - a "moon unit" of distance).

I have an older 2006 Honda Element. I had to get a reconditioned starter motor a year ago. Other than that zero problems. They discontinued it a couple years ago , but then came to their senses and brought it back this year.

IMHO, do not confuse past Honda reliability, with their "new" cars. Honda's quality has gone down considerably. Especially, their Odyssey van.

Do the 2 sensors together and at some point change something call ELD/ electrical load detector. It controls the power to all the emission components and the charging system.
Honda 38255-S5A-003

Back
Top Bottom