The ‘spendy’ time of the year

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The spendie time of the year.

There was a frying pan in the kitchen that the Mrs like to remind me I ruined by putting it into cold water before it properly cooled. Having adopted the ‘never admit to anything mantra’ long ago I simply ignored the accusation and went about my business. Tactical denial is a husband thing (like the stealth purge), Well ok maybe a spouse thing. Then the standoff ensued -It needed to be replaced but doing so was king of an admission - almost a kind of victory for the Mrs. The trouble was that this, just the right size pan, no longer sat level on the stove hence it rocked and heated unevenly. I discovered if I Stuck a can or something under the handle and the rocking was somewhat abated. A decade passed (yeah crazy I know) and a A few weeks ago I informed the Mrs we were going to replace it. Thankfully only minor mention was made of responsibility. So after a little research, coupon in hand, off we went to Bed Bath and Beyond We bought this beautiful, deeply discounted, black All- Clad frying pan with glass lid $80. Ive tried it out for a few weeks now and it is the ‘bees knees’. It cooks evenly, the bacon comes out to perfection and nothing sticks. - and the oh those omelets are a delight. The old frying pan that probably dated from my bachelor days was quietly dispatched forgotten but only by me.

I tell you this story not because we are eccentrics its just simply we are not spenders. Good enough is often good enough for far too long. There are two exceptions Christmas and travel. But even in Christmas there is a pragmatism in our holiday gift giving. At this very moment in the living room sits a box containing my Christmas Gift - a fancy, deeply discounted (of course), Breville toaster. The house we rented in Virginia Beach had one and I tried it out and fell in love it. The old toaster will be moved to our Poconos to replace the fire hazard that we presently have there. Nothing gets wasted. This pragmatism comes from my wife’s family.. where I remember Mountainous piles of gifts for the kids included jars of Jelly.

Does you follow a pragmatic holiday season?

The kitchen is one area where we tend to spend more (for us). DW, DS, and I all enjoy cooking.

We just added a Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven to replace old toaster oven. Our kitchen isn't big, so any appliance that multi-tasks is a win for us. DW and DS like the newer non-stick pans. I like the original - cast iron.

Other than a few breakfasts at a local diner, we seldom eat out. Even when travelling, we'll often stay where preparing meals remains an option.

My son inherited our "noodle pot". A cheap, Wearever I think?, aluminum pot with a heavy glass lid that almost fits but leaks enough heat to prevent boilovers. Works perfect for noodles, none of that fancy pasta stuff but perfectly done noodles. Ugly as can be. We've got other nicer pots but none that are the same size or cook noodles as well as that old pot. He just got married so I'm hoping we'll maybe get it gifted back to us this Christmas.

The kitchen is one area where we tend to spend more (for us). DW, DS, and I all enjoy cooking.

We just added a Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven to replace old toaster oven. Our kitchen isn't big, so any appliance that multi-tasks is a win for us. DW and DS like the newer non-stick pans. I like the original - cast iron.

Other than a few breakfasts at a local diner, we seldom eat out. Even when travelling, we'll often stay where preparing meals remains an option.

+1

DW & I both come from backgrounds in the Culinary arts early on in our working lives and have continued cooking together at home throughout our 40+ year marriage. We find that spending the extra $$ for quality cookware, knives and food prep equipment more than pays for itself over the long haul.

The spendie time of the year.

..snip..

Does you follow a pragmatic holiday season?

We surprised each other this year. I bought her 4 new tires and an oil change. She bought me 4 new tires too.

Does that count?

I stealth-purged some tattered, stained, droopy old sweatshirts and pants of Mr. A's, and replaced them with expensive, stylish new ones that were on sale.

Also: Last year I dithered and dithered over a gorgeous, hand-made exotic wood jewelry box by an American wood artist. It was too expensive, too big, a burglar would steal the box over the jewelry, I didn't need it, etc....

This year I went back to the artist's web site, determined to order a box...and he's dead.

So buy what you want when you want it, for one day it may be gone.

Also: Last year I dithered and dithered over a gorgeous, hand-made exotic wood jewelry box by an American wood artist. It was too expensive, too big, a burglar would steal the box over the jewelry, I didn't need it, etc....

This year I went back to the artist's web site, determined to order a box...and he's dead.

So buy what you want when you want it, for one day it may be gone.

Good example!

Some things like that - unique craft piece that you would enjoy owning - that falls out of the "don't really need it" category.

Sorry for your loss!!!

$400 bucks for Wagyu and $300 for Cognac so far. Me thinks a few hundred for Caviar will be in order.

$400 bucks for Wagyu and $300 for Cognac so far. Me thinks a few hundred for Caviar will be in order.

After paying hunt club dues, out of state deer tags, and other associated costs, my venison is at the same price as Wagyu beef. :(

As i read this, I am taking a rest from bringing the Xmas decoration boxes down from the attic. I am also watching Ohio State kick the heck out of Michigan! :facepalm:

Anyway, today I convinced DW that about 1/2 the attic stash of Xmas decorations are not used anymore and need to be gone. Well, we compromised on about 1/4 of them for the trash can. Even the kids don't' want this stuff anymore (last year I tried to pawn some off on them without success).

I am becoming a minimalist and DW is following suit, although slowly.

As far as Xmas spending, we still spend on the kids/grandkids. but it's getting less each year. We have everything we need at our ages (70's) and giving each other a meaningful gift is getting harder and harder.

I did buy DW a set of new tires for her SUV last week! I guess that will count as her (early) Xmas gift? Right?? :D

After paying hunt club dues, out of state deer tags, and other associated costs, my venison is at the same price as Wagyu beef. :(

Yeah. I'mma gonna get me another boat soon and that "free" fish will be more expensive than lobster.

We deer hunt near where we live, on some land we own, so the price of venison for us was not too bad (we got two deer this Fall). But.........I just bought $1000 worth of grass-fed beef and lamb from a local farmer, so I managed to blow some dough there.:rolleyes:

I love pragmatic gifts. They are the best.
I also pay for conveniences like grocery delivery, live in au pair, and house cleaners.
We also spend $ on hotels. We have a family of 6 and stay in AirBnBs pretty much exclusively. Average price is probably $180-300/night, but always memorable: looking over the Christmas markets in Prague, staying in a half-timber house on the canals in Colmar, huge house on Lake Bled.....all amazing memories.
No extravagant gifts otherwise. We have 2006 vehicles, I’m short so economy airline seats are just fine, and I buy clothes from Goodwill.

Then you would like mine. Very dark, with dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, pecans, and home-candied citrus peel. Takes three days to do everything involved.
I personally like fruit cakes especially dark ones with lots of fruit.

First, I am very impressed by Ray's tenacity. :LOL:

Second, I am very odd about gifts. If it is practical, it will not be accepted from DH, as a Gift. A pan would be considered a kitchen appliance for the home.

BTW, that does not mean it has to be expensive, for me it is really is the thought that counts. A handwritten letter is my favorite gift. Perfume is acceptable, but DH is required to go to the store and smell the perfume to make sure that HE likes it. (After all, I'm not wearing it to repulse DH.)

We do give the kiddos practical gifts. Good hiking boots for example. This year the married kiddos got highly rated (deeply discounted of course) rice cookers.

DH varies about what he wants and does accept practical gifts.

DH and I don’t buy each other Xmas or birthday gifts.

We spontaneously buy each other things during the year, but they aren’t wrapped.

DW is buying me two dental implants. Very festive. I plan to buy her high end lens for her cataract surgery. Not entirely sure what they are or how much they cost. Aging process.

Plus two pair of prescription glasses for me. Not to mention the new ipad, cell phone, camera, some Xmas toys for the grandchildren and birthday gift for DW.

Son comes home to visit from graduate school so there will be a cheque to help him out financially.

That is before we get to Xmas gifts for each of our son and daughter.

I don't want or need any gifts. I tell them all simply to make a donation to the food bank. Easy for them, good for me. Humbug!

Last edited:
I like Santa Claus presents for little kids and a wrapped gift for Christmas morning for the not so littles. We give enough $ to DH’s farming community home town for a low-income kid to go Christmas shopping (run by the school nurses and volunteers) and that takes care of the Christmas spirit for me.

Back
Top Bottom