The SUV Full size Pick Up issue..

I'll only do it if VMMXX invests at least 30% of assets in bacon.

Hold on while I use the morningstar x-ray feature to determine the allocation to this crucial asset class...

Deleted by me

Last edited:
Hmm, my kid is in the bottom 5% by weight for children his age.

Nonetheless, I think what I need (just to be sure) is TWO of those International SUV/pickups strapped together, with a boat on the back, four engines total just to meet the prospective power demand, two hoover scooper/shredders to vacuum up baby seals and prius's for extra energy on demand, an automated bacon cheeseburger maker with a live backup unit in the event of failure, and "9/11" stamped in gigantic letters on both sides and the top.

And I'd like to have a special dispensation that lets me pay $5 a gallon for gas right now. I dont want to wait.

I certainly hope those cheeseburgers come in non-recyclable styrofoam containers!

CAFE stimulated the demand for SUVs because they were initially exempt and then phased in with less stringent standards.

But now the people that fund the people who hate what we are doing in the middle east get over 100 a barrel. And americans complain.

Sorry, sell your suv and buy a honda fit or civic or yaris and get 40+ mpg. But then again how will they carry all their STUFF?? like their fat overweight CHILDREN??:D

Sorry to tell you this, but there a several middlemen in the process of drilling and refining oil and each take a bit of profit. The countries where it is pumped do not receive $100/barrel.

As we know most people on this board are hyper-consumers, so we must have all of our stuff. To suggest we leave it behind is asking for trouble.

Wasn't there a thread on here last year or the year before about how it is not the fault of overweight people that they are overweight. So now you are looking down on people who for all intents and purposes are ill. That's not vary caring of you.:rolleyes:

I certainly hope those cheeseburgers come in non-recyclable styrofoam containers!

Nah, styrofoam is too inert. I loved the study that showed the huge negative implications of all the cardboard food containers vs the styrofoam ones. The styrofoam took forever to break down but it was otherwise fine to bury 8 brazillion tons of it and just leave it there. The cardboard produced all sorts of bacteria, molds and fungi, a lot of which were moderately dangerous. Go figure.

What I think I'll use is a packaging that can be lit on fire and thrown out the window, and its combustion will produce more cfc's than 100 old fashioned hair spray cans. That'd be good.

I think we are sometimes a little to hard on New Guy. From reading his posts he tends to see the US as he wishes it would be not as it is. I think we as a nation have become overweight both physically and by our desire to consume and acquire stuff.

Some hard adjustments are coming in the years ahead for many people who have chosen to live beyond their means. We are already well into the housing bust with more to come. Maybe we will see some new TV reality shows on living frugally.

My comments are not aimed at ER posters who get it but to the millions of Joe and Jill Sixpacks who don't.

Just some ramblings from a over sixty geezer.

2soon2tell

I think we are sometimes a little to hard on New Guy. From reading his posts he tends to see the US as he wishes it would be not as it is. I think we as a nation have become overweight both physically and by our desire to consume and acquire stuff.

Some hard adjustments are coming in the years ahead for many people who have chosen to live beyond their means. We are already well into the housing bust with more to come. Maybe we will see some new TV reality shows on living frugally.

My comments are not aimed at ER posters who get it but to the millions of Joe and Jill Sixpacks who don't.

Just some ramblings from a over sixty geezer.

Thank you.

As I wish to see our country, yes.

Maybe I am missing something but sitting on those gasoline lines back in the 70s well su(ked. Never got into a wasteful vehicle after that time. Still drive 4 cyl econo boxes. Still alive, never killed in the accident that all suv drivers say would happen and I drove many many miles a year.

Bought only things that we could afford, not that we wanted for much, but if I knew I couldn't pay for it in cash over a short period of time it was not purchased. I look at those 50 inch TVs today and just shake my head 3000 dollars for a TV! What are you really going to tell me any american NEEDS one? Nope but they are marketed to have one. You know the drill super bowl sunday gotta have the TV . Then when did Children have to have EVERY last electronic gadget made ?? Read a book! Go out and play a game or just throw rocks into the pond, go fishing etc. Nope the parents of today coddle and make play dates. They even hover over them while they attend COLLEGE!!!

Something is very wrong with the karma of the country.

newguy888 said:
Bought only things that we could afford, not that we wanted for much, but if I knew I couldn't pay for it in cash over a short period of time it was not purchased. I look at those 50 inch TVs today and just shake my head 3000 dollars for a TV! What are you really going to tell me any american NEEDS one? Nope but they are marketed to have one. You know the drill super bowl sunday gotta have the TV . Then when did Children have to have EVERY last electronic gadget made ?? Read a book! Go out and play a game or just throw rocks into the pond, go fishing etc. Nope the parents of today coddle and make play dates. They even hover over them while they attend COLLEGE!!!

You make great points, and I retract my above statement about you hating the USA and offer my apology........

It's those marketeers. For an elective I took a class in marketing once. It was an eye-opener. All about making people want stuff they didn't know they wanted. Platitudes of "adding value" via packaging and other nonsense. People spend their entire careers studying ways to make people want stuff, the proper way to light it up in stores, etc.

This is one of the results of our capitalistic society. To make money you have to sell something. My all-time favorite is $4 Pet Rocks. Now THAT is marketing!

No, I didn't buy one. But I laughed at those who did.

CAFE stimulated the demand for SUVs because they were initially exempt and then phased in with less stringent standards.

Not only do SUVs and trucks not have to meet CAFE standards, they are exempt from many safety rules. Their not following the standardized bumper height rule causes 2000 excess deaths per year due to bumper height mismatches with vehicles that are required to meet the bumper height standard. In a collision with an SUV, the SUV rides up over the smaller vehicle maiming the individuals in the smaller car who would not have been injured or killed had the bumper heights matched.

Yea, the automobile industry discovered the SUV was a great way to get around rules and regulations designed not only to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, but save lives. 2000 lives a year, to be exact. In other words, we loose the same number of lives due to bumper height mismatches every two years as US military deaths during the entire Iraq conflict.

You make great points, and I retract my above statement about you hating the USA and offer my apology........

FinanceDude, it's easy to get angry with someone who disagrees with you and say things that, in retrospect, might not have been a great idea. It's much harder to admit you shouldn't have said it and apologize. You're a good man.

Not only do SUVs and trucks not have to meet CAFE standards, they are exempt from many safety rules. Their not following the standardized bumper height rule causes 2000 excess deaths per year due to bumper height mismatches with vehicles that are required to meet the bumper height standard. In a collision with an SUV, the SUV rides up over the smaller vehicle maiming the individuals in the smaller car who would not have been injured or killed had the bumper heights matched.

Yea, the automobile industry discovered the SUV was a great way to get around rules and regulations designed not only to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, but save lives.

The automobile industry only sells what people are willing to pay for.

I showed my wife the International CXT. The results were predictable...

"I want one!"

Keep in mind, she's always wanted to go get a CDL. I don't think I could grow enough biodiesel for one of those, though.

FinanceDude, it's easy to get angry with someone who disagrees with you and say things that, in retrospect, might not have been a great idea. It's much harder to admit you shouldn't have said it and apologize. You're a good man.

Financedude is good people. We have our differences in print but I believe we are closer in ideas than he/she thinks.

Financedude is good people. We have our differences in print but I believe we are closer in ideas than he/she thinks.

You are probably not far off... and I do bet both of you 'care' for the good ole USA... but just have different ideas on the best course of action...

And I think you are more passionate on some of you 'stranger' ideas...

BTW... there still are a group that think energy independence can happen a lot easier if we built a LOT of nuclear plants to take care of electricity... and also recycled the uranium so we did not throw away 'good' fuel...

How much oil & gas would we free up if we had 70% nuclear?

BTW... there still are a group that think energy independence can happen a lot easier if we built a LOT of nuclear plants to take care of electricity... and also recycled the uranium so we did not throw away 'good' fuel...

Ask France..........;)

... there still are a group that think energy independence can happen a lot easier if we built a LOT of nuclear plants to take care of electricity... and also recycled the uranium so we did not throw away 'good' fuel...

I think a the "problems" of nuclear energy are more political than scientific. Yes, nuclear reactors do make radioactive waste products, but dealing with that waste is a political hot potato, not a scientific one. Much of the waste is only mildly radioactive, a lot of it can be re-processed and recycled into new reactor fuel, and the last of it can be stored in ceramic cartridges and stored in an old salt mine, never to see the light of day or leak into our water supply until our sun becomes a red dwarf and engulfs the planet anyway.

The one thing I would like to see is a move to reactors that use "safe" technologies that, should the reactor loose coolant and overheat, the excessive heat causes the fuel elements inside to expand, increasing the distance between the fuel elements and slowing the reaction. Such reactors are called "inherently safe" reactors because, unlike reactors that require human intervention in the form of the insertion of control rods to slow the reaction to safe levels, inherently safe reactors are built in such a way that fundamental laws of nature, which require no human action at all, prevent a Three Mile Island or Chernobyl style incident from ever happening.

To my mind the implementation of safe nuclear reactor technologies, an Apollo-type-program to research and deploy renewable energy (wind, solar, tidal, biofuel) resources, a move to alternative fuel vehicles and conservation are the way to go to keep America strong, free, and a great and independent nation.

What obviously doesn't work is to continue to sell our country to the middle east in exchange for crude oil or continue to pump greenhouse gasses into an increasingly warmer sky.

The one thing I would like to see is a move to reactors that use "safe" technologies that, should the reactor loose coolant and overheat, the excessive heat causes the fuel elements inside to expand, increasing the distance between the fuel elements and slowing the reaction. Such reactors are called "inherently safe" reactors because, unlike reactors that require human intervention in the form of the insertion of control rods to slow the reaction to safe levels, inherently safe reactors are built in such a way that fundamental laws of nature, which require no human action at all, prevent a Three Mile Island or Chernobyl style incident from ever happening.

You mean like a pebble bed reactor?

Pebble bed reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends on if GM ever gives us the Volt :bat:

... or if I can get International to build an electric CXT powered by a pebble bed reactor in the back.

I showed my wife the International CXT. The results were predictable...

"I want one!"

The reaction here was different - she just rolled her eyes at my statement "I want one!" All the eco-conservatives can relax though, I can't afford a set of tires for something like that. If I was willing to live in a trailer I guess I could but I don't want it that bad.

I just like big machinery and it's fun to dream.

To my mind the implementation of safe nuclear reactor technologies, an Apollo-type-program to research and deploy renewable energy (wind, solar, tidal, biofuel) resources, a move to alternative fuel vehicles and conservation are the way to go to keep America strong, free, and a great and independent nation.
Yeah...it sure would be nice to have an energy policy. This is what I thought would happen naturally in response to the oil-embargo days....here we are 35 yrs later and probably worse off than ever.

Back
Top Bottom