thermostat setting for winter.

70 above the 4 ft level, closer to 60 below the 4 ft level. This old RV is more than a bit drafty. It was -14 (I'm not talking wind chill) the other morning. I just got the furnace up and running a couple of weeks ago. The first time it has been turned on in probably about 20 years. I have been using a couple of small electric heaters. I am winterizing for the really cold nights to come. Insulated skirting, clear plastic over the windows and roof vents, insulation up under the front driver and passenger area. 68 is what I am shooting for when I get the drafts under control.

We keep it at 68 during the day and 65 during the night. Our house is from 1955 and poorly insulated if at all. We put in new windows and HVAC in the last few years which was a big improvement.

We like a cold bedroom with extra blankets. The living room is at the bottom of the open steps from upstairs and it has some cold spots so we keep throw blankets handy.

The 2 unused bedrooms upstairs are left unheated and the doors are closed. We keep the upstairs bathroom and the hallway heated.

The pipes to the upstairs bathroom are in the unheated eaves. When it gets below freezing we have to remember to drip the faucets to ensure that the pipes don't freeze.

What were they thinking in the 1950's?

Last edited:
I set my thermostat to 19 C, or 66 F throughout the day & night.

Central CT. 64 during day, 55 at night. I have a 'warm room' (12x13) that has everything I need, computer, TV, weights, stationary bike and a space heater to maintain at 73 when home.

We hate cold weather. Thermostat stays at 78 or slightly above all year round. When the house was built we paid for extra insulation so the bills aren't bad, comparable to the neighbors who didn't spring for the extra insulation.

And having natural gas heat helps. That was a major factor in deciding on this house.

Set at 70, but, I think the biggest thing is humidity management. That seems to make all the difference whether I feel warm or not.

-CC

No thermostat here (no central heating). If it gets cold enough, I bring out the electric oil-filled radiator... That happens only once or twice a year.

69 or 70 in the day and 68 or 69 at night. Our bills stay pretty low here in Texas with those settings.

We have a 2 zone furnace. Keep the upstairs (2nd floor bedrooms + 3rd floor office) at 71-72 degrees. Keep the downstairs (kitchen, family room, dining room, living room) at 71-72 degrees during the day/evening but lower to 60 degrees overnight when sleeping.

73 year 'round. DW Reynaud's, moi - old age and wear shorts.
Gas fireplace for romance, not heat. :cool:

My ventless natural gas fireplace with ceramic logs throws off a lot of heat. I had it installed by the builder when my home was under construction, and the cost 10 years ago was $3000.000 so it is not something that is purely ornamental. I live in a two-story home, and it does a very good job on the first floor (I am not trying to heat the whole house with it). As a matter of fact, I start to swelter after about a half an hour if I am in the small den off my kitchen where the fireplace is located and I frequently have to turn it off. I suppose I could set my thermostat on 62 and rely more on the fireplace and it would not be so overly warm.

I am curious. AFIK Ventless gas heaters dump a lot of moisture into the enclosure. From memory a gallon of nat gas burned creates roughly one gallon of water wapor.

How is the indoor humidity?

My 'stat' is set as follows:

morning 63

day 65

evening 70

night 55 (4 blankets needed!)

Just got a new oil fired boiler. Hoping to save a few gallons of oil.

Whenever on heat, our thermostat is set at:
  • 63F Mon-Fri 8a-5p (weekdays) - 27%,
  • 59F 8p-5a (nights) - 38%,
  • and 65F the rest of the time (breakfast, dinner & weekend days) - 35%.

I am curious. AFIK Ventless gas heaters dump a lot of moisture into the enclosure. From memory a gallon of nat gas burned creates roughly one gallon of water wapor.

That humidity can be a big issue. In a newer "tight" home, it can show up in condensation on the glass, rot on the window frames, or the need to run the heat recovery ventilator more. In "leakier" homes sometimes the problem isn't apparent, but the moisture can be condensing on structural wood members in the walls or attic. And, in addition to the H2O there are other combustion products. Ventless gas heaters /fireplaces are illegal in a lot of countries, but allowed in most of the US.

Currently 25 degrees outside here. My thermostat is set at 71 during day and 67 while sleeping. I have natural gas heat and it is pretty cheap. I am in my house a lot during winter and I damn sure am not going to be cold to save a $1 a day by lowering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is, I don't know what my indoor humidity is, but there are certainly no signs of excess humidity in my home (mold, mildew) and my white walls are perfectly clean with no streaks. My fireplace is located between two windows and I use it in a very limited way (maybe a half an hour a couple of times a week when it is really cold). I know they are not meant to be a sole source of heat or to be run for hours on end. I also have the fireplace professionally checked/cleaned every October by the area's most reputable chimney and fireplace retailer. I have hard-wired smoke/CO-2 detectors throughout my house also.

Is, I don't know what my indoor humidity is, but there are certainly no signs of excess humidity in my home (mold, mildew) and my white walls are perfectly clean with no streaks. My fireplace is located between two windows and I use it in a very limited way (maybe a half an hour a couple of times a week when it is really cold). I know they are not meant to be a sole source of heat or to be run for hours on end. I also have the fireplace professionally checked/cleaned every October by the area's most reputable chimney and fireplace retailer. I have hard-wired smoke/CO-2 detectors throughout my house also.

Thanks for the answer. Might be useful to measure the humidity level, they are cheap enough at Wallyworld.

I think some of you would be good candidates for the polar bear club:D

Currently 25 degrees outside here. My thermostat is set at 71 during day and 67 while sleeping. I have natural gas heat and it is pretty cheap. I am in my house a lot during winter and I damn sure am not going to be cold to save a $1 a day by lowering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In Tx hill country using a heat pump. 72 heat all the time 78 cool. (It actually runs in this mode a few times in the winter if very sunny). Note that with a heat pump unless you have a special thermostat a change of more than 3 deg in the setting will turn the backup electric heat on. (Plus spend most of my time at home).

When we use the heater we set it to 68 during the day, and 60 at night. Night is defined as 9pm to 5am... (We're morning people and it's nice to warm up the house a bit before getting out of bed between 5:30 and 6am.)

That said - haven't turned it on yet this season. We had new windows put in for most of the house over the past 2 years (5 windows left to do in this DIY project). The new windows and added installation to any wall we've opened up have improved things. It was 43 degrees outside last night - but only dropped to 70 in the house.

Today's sunny - so we have windows open and fresh air blowing through.

I move into the master bedroom in the winter. I have electric baseboard heat so I can heat different areas to different temp. The master bedroom is set at 68 when i'm home-day or night. If I leave for at least 3 hours I turn it down to 60. If I leave overnight it goes down to 50. The rest of the condo is set at 50 all the time. The heat is on right now to keep it at 50. I have a bathroom that is right off the master bedroom and I just open that door occasionally to warm it up using the heat from the bedroom. I may turn the heat up to ~70 before and during a shower/getting dressed. I can save $100/mo in the winter by doing this. That is between 7-10% of my total monthly spending so it makes a real difference to me.

Thanks for the answer. Might be useful to measure the humidity level, they are cheap enough at Wallyworld.

Thanks! You have piqued my curiosity. I will visit Wal-mart and inquire what devices they have to measure indoor humidity. I should add that I have never noticed any kind of smell from my fireplace and the windows on either side of the fireplace stay very clean with no condensation at all.

Thanks! You have piqued my curiosity. I will visit Wal-mart and inquire what devices they have to measure indoor humidity. I should add that I have never noticed any kind of smell from my fireplace and the windows on either side of the fireplace stay very clean with no condensation at all.
You noted having a CO2 detector. A CO detector is more useful as that stuff is more harmful.

+1. Except 70 deg daytime, 68 at night. Natural gas heat, the house is fairly well insulated/sealed. I'm not going to be uncomfortable for the minimal savings to be had.

Back
Top Bottom