This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, according to the temp map here, it's 109 F at 4:54 PM. :facepalm:

ERCOT is hanging on by its fingernails!

I have been following the data on ERCOT Web page, because it's so interesting. I was surprised to see Texas still burning so much nat gas and even coal. Yet, taking solar and wind power to a higher percentage means you will have that much more problem when the sun does not shine and the wind does not blow. It's very very tough.

I have done some simple calculations on what it takes for Texas to go completely green, and will open a thread to share what I computed.

Anyway, it has been below 105F here, and darn, it feels so cool compared to 115F! And the low in the early morning is the low 80s. How about that!

With the ACs not working as hard, my battery lasted until 3AM before the inverters shut off and my house went on grid power. Won't be long now until my house runs on solar 24/7.

Last edited:
I have been following the data on ERCOT Web page, because it's so interesting. I was surprised to see Texas still burning so much nat gas and even coal. Yet, taking solar and wind power to a higher percentage means you will have that much more problem when the sun does not shine and the wind does not blow. It's very very tough.

I have done some simple calculations on what it takes for Texas to go completely green, and will open a thread to share what I computed.

Anyway, it has been below 105F here, and darn, it feels so cool compared to 115F! And the low in the early morning is the low 80s. How about that!

With the ACs not working as hard, my battery lasted until 3AM before the inverters shut off and my house went on grid power. Won't be long now until my house runs on solar 24/7.

Great to hear you are cooling off. We are still being pounded. But there are severe thunderstorms in the area. Maybe we will get lucky tonight? I can't remember the last time it rained. All the yards here are gone to straw.

Today's high was only 93F in my suburb. No rain today, but we had some earlier in the week.

No hurricanes or tropical storms so far this summer, either. Life is pretty good in the "Big Easy" these days... :D

Our high today in DFW was 110. The third 110 for this summer. We are NOT a desert community... yet!

Heard a little thunder this evening after dark. Saw lightning lighting up clouds in the distance. Nothing by me.
At 11:20 PM, it's 91 degrees. We might actually drop out of the 90s by midnight - woo hoo! That would be different!
Forecast - Saturday and Sunday highs in the upper 90s. Monday low 90s. Tuesday through Friday, highs in the 80s and rain possible.

Last edited:
Compared to the torrential rain that people in Hong Kong and Shenzhen are just faced with, I will take the 115F heat, thank you.

And Greece and Bulgaria had the same problem with torrential rain.

Last edited:
Cooling off since 9/4. And highs forecast only in the upper 60's and 70's for the next several days. Rain maybe Monday and Tuesday.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 6.26.29 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 6.26.29 AM.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 21
Dang, and I thought 87 to 94 was too darn hot. This is PA.
Cant imagine 110 plus temperatures. I'd move into a burrow with some ground hogs.
We are getting a break, some rain and daytime temps of 70ies.

We had a line of very heavy lighting and rain storms move through a few hours ago. Good news is we finally got some much needed rain and it's cooled things off a little, bad news is it knock the power out aagin.

Dang, and I thought 87 to 94 was too darn hot. This is PA.
Cant imagine 110 plus temperatures. I'd move into a burrow with some ground hogs.
We are getting a break, some rain and daytime temps of 70ies.

But if it's dry heat as it is in the SW, you can survive without AC. You just have to spray yourself with water every so often to cool down via evaporation.

No water? Well, your goose is cooked!

There are places where I have seen a temperature of 99F, but with a relative humidity of 99%. This means water cannot evaporate at all.

Actually, if you maintain the ideal body temperature of 97F, with such humidity water will condense on your body instead of evaporating. You are steamed to death!

But if it's dry heat as it is in the SW, you can survive without AC. You just have to spray yourself with water every so often to cool down via evaporation.

No water? Well, your goose is cooked!

There are places where I have seen a temperature of 99F, but with a relative humidity of 99%. This means water cannot evaporate at all.

Actually, if you maintain the ideal body temperature of 97F, with such humidity water will condense on your body instead of evaporating. You are steamed to death!
Right you are about the humidity condensing on the body.
Reminds me when before covid I used the Y's workout area and sauna. Inevitibaly several idiots would dump a lot water on the sauna's heater to make it "good and hot". They failed to understand the concept and purpose of sweating.

I tried to explain a few times the bit about body at normal temerature and the now steam bath, thus condensing on skin making it seem hotter. Would have been more constructive to talk to the walls, at least I would have gotten an echo.
Practical solution: Work out at home and bought an enclosed trailer, ran some wiring to handle 50 amps, (a bit of overkill, but had the wire already) insulated it, put in a sauna heater. No more dealing with the Y. The only joker I have to deal with is me.

Last edited:
Y'all may be looking back with fond memories of the warm weather in a few more months.

Yet another long-range forecaster has stuck his neck way out there and predicted a cold and snowy winter for at least some of us. And naturally, we (DW and I) are smack dab in the middle between "Worst of winter" and "Huge snowstorms".:nonono:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/strong-el-ni-o-during-120000126.html

Attachments

• Winter_forecast.jpg
    Winter_forecast.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 23
^^^ The National Weather Service has a different forecast for the SW, Arizona in particular.

They say that there's equal chance of the temperature to be above or below normal. There's a slight chance that it is going to be wetter than average, but the chance of it being drier than average cannot be ruled out.

In short, they say that predictability for AZ winter weather is poor.

So far, the NWS has been accurate in forecasting a hotter and drier than normal 2023 summer.

The small storm that ran through here around 4:30 AM cooled things off. It's only 102 F outside now but the humidity is off the map.

Compared to the torrential rain that people in Hong Kong and Shenzhen are just faced with, I will take the 115F heat, thank you.

And Greece and Bulgaria had the same problem with torrential rain.

I guess most of us here have little to complain about by comparison. I think of the poor folks in Lahina and feel the same way. Thank God I have not experienced such tragic events in my life.

Y'all may be looking back with fond memories of the warm weather in a few more months.

Yet another long-range forecaster has stuck his neck way out there and predicted a cold and snowy winter for at least some of us. And naturally, we (DW and I) are smack dab in the middle between "Worst of winter" and "Huge snowstorms".:nonono:

Maybe I get to use my snowblower this winter.

Not sure what the difference between worst of winter and huge snowstorms.

Compared to the torrential rain that people in Hong Kong and Shenzhen are just faced with, I will take the 115F heat, thank you...

Well, I got what I asked for.

Temperature is currently 110F to 115F as reported by personal weather stations around me. It's also dry for what used to be the monsoon season; the dew point is 56F.

Well that's depressing. Only safe place is Oregon area. Although if I was going to travel 1000+ miles to get away from Wisconsin winter I would rather go to Florida even if more rain than normal rather than Oregon where it is 30's-50's all winter. I will probably just stay put and hope my furnace doesn't die.

We had a much welcome rain event Friday night, guess at least .5", and currently this morning the temp is 70. Compared to 108 on Friday, I am now living the dream.

This makes sense. Our bug guy says we are in for a rough winter. He says that he hasn't seen a certain kind of wasp for a while now. That means a rough winter is on its way.

Our daily high streak of 101F+ ended today at 65 consecutive days with a high of 98F. We averaged 10F above the historical highs for that time period. Small victory though as 98F is still 7F above the historical average high for September 11. The forecasts have us below normal later this week for the first time in over two months.

The "awful" weather that continues is the lack of rain. In terms of actual precipitation (vs historical), we had 0.09" (2.2") in July, 0.15" (2.65") in August, and ZERO (3.96") so far in September with a small chance of rain forecast in the next two weeks.

Last edited:
Well that's depressing. Only safe place is Oregon area. Although if I was going to travel 1000+ miles to get away from Wisconsin winter I would rather go to Florida even if more rain than normal rather than Oregon where it is 30's-50's all winter. I will probably just stay put and hope my furnace doesn't die.

I haven't heard much about Hawaii and it's right in the middle of the Pacific where much of the West coast's (and all of ours) comes from. I'm reasonably certain our temps will be fairly normal (lower 80s as a high) but night temps could drop a bit - I've seen that happen. Once the sun goes down, you need to break out a jacket if you want to go outside. Once in a while we close every window and throw on a blanket. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom