Tiny Bathrooms

Shameful imo and frankly a heath and sanitation issue. Just a few days ago I was on a flight with one of these sitting in the front of the plane close the bathroom.

One of the passengers became sick - not sure if it was flu or food poisoning or something else but spewage ensued. This person could not fit in the bathroom with the door closed. In order to face the toilet and bend over (usual position when retching) the door had to be open. We all watched and listened and as awful as I thought that was, it was surely much worse for the sick person.

Perhaps we need some regulation here to ensure basic services if airlines aren't willing to self regulate?

Last edited:
I've read at least a couple of articles about the flight crews complaining about the tiny bathrooms; it's not just the passengers.

Until the public votes with their dollars and stops buying the absolutely cheapest airfare regardless of plane conditions, it won't stop.

Until the public votes with their dollars and stops buying the absolutely cheapest airfare regardless of plane conditions, it won't stop.

Maybe ... but for many routes, there is only one option. You either fly the equipment the airline provides or you don't fly.

On my international trip, I could always find one accessible loo. I suppose they are only on the wide body planes.

The front bathroom (next to the cockpit) on a 737 is ridiculous. The hull has a lot of curve in it that far forward so I cannot stand facing the toilet (I am 6'2") without bending backwards. I have gotten to really dislike flying.

I don’t think the more expensive seats on US airlines come with better bathrooms.

The front bathroom (next to the cockpit) on a 737 is ridiculous. The hull has a lot of curve in it that far forward so I cannot stand facing the toilet (I am 6'2") without bending backwards. I have gotten to really dislike flying.
Have a seat.

Are you saying the first class bathroom is large ? or are you saying certain aircraft have large bathrooms.

Problem is to fly Chicago to NY, the airline does not let ME chose the plane used.

I truly dislike flying but oddly enough, my favorite part of it is the bathroom! I just like all the tiny fixtures and the compactness of it all.

I had to fly to Denver last month and on one of the flights we were very close to the front. At one point the flight attendants restricted access to the front lav. The pilot came out of the cockpit and a flight attendant entered the cockpit. The pilot used the lav and then went back into the cockpit and the co-pilot came out and used the lav. Finally, he returned to the cockpit and the flight attendant came out. All while another flight attendant blocked any passenger access.

I'm sure this happens on plenty of flights, I've just never sat close enough to notice it happening.

They don't want passengers too close when pilots are using the loo because the average pilot consumes way too many bean burritos. It would probably turn you off that airline forever. :D

I can’t remember what kind of plane it was, it was an international flight, but all the bathrooms where downstairs under the main cabin. You walked down a flight of stairs in the middle of the plane into a foyer like area with doors to 4 bathrooms. Best bathroom setup I have ever seen on a plane.

Have a seat.
I was in a lav, standing midstream when violent turbulence hit. The lav was big enough I couldn't brace myself with one hand. Yeah, sitting is a good idea![emoji12]

I can’t remember what kind of plane it was, it was an international flight, but all the bathrooms where downstairs under the main cabin. You walked down a flight of stairs in the middle of the plane into a foyer like area with doors to 4 bathrooms. Best bathroom setup I have ever seen on a plane.

I was on an L-1011 sometime back in the dark ages, about 1985 or so. What I distinctly remember was in the back there was this "lobby" with a ring of 5 bathrooms around it. Roomy and nice. No lines up the isles. Vapors away from the seating.

I flew back to NYC on the Concorde from Orly in France in the late 1970's. I remember the bathroom was so small I could not stand up straight in it and I am 5' 11" tall. But it was one hell of a flight and a spectacular meal was served.

This is the head on a submarine. Once you become accustomed to it, no other toilet will ever distress you.

You operate it as follows: 1) the large black lever on the right is connected to a big ball valve at the bottom of the bowl. You make sure it is shut; 2) then you fill the bowl with a tiny bit of water, using the green valve handle on the left; 3) then you turn around, sit down and do your business; 4) then you stand up, turn around and, facing the fruits of your labors, you open the ball valve with the big lever while simultaneously admitting a little water to assist with the flush; 5) you then shut the fill valve (green handle) and the ball valve in turn.

The waste flows directly into what is called a sanitary tank. Periodically, it gets full and you need to blow it overboard. To do that, you pressurize the tank with 700 psi air and open the outboard valve. If someone should open the ball valve while the tank is pressurized, the waste will blow up through the ball valve instead of going overboard. Much disgust ensues. That's why they hang a tag on the ball valve handle (as is shown in the photo) when they are blowing the sanitary tank

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I flew back to NYC on the Concorde from Orly in France in the late 1970's. I remember the bathroom was so small I could not stand up straight in it and I am 5' 11" tall. But it was one hell of a flight and a spectacular meal was served.

I thought those things were so fast, you wouldn't even need a toilet ;)

Those of you who get most exercised about this topic should take a ride in an Air Force cargo plane sometime. :LOL:

Restroom Facilities on a USAF C-130

This is the head on a submarine. Once you become accustomed to it, no other toilet will ever distress you.

Of course in both these cases you are being paid rather than being asked to pay for the privilege.

On the new 787s I find the doors to the bathrooms so flimsy and hinged so poorly that I can't imagine that they are going to be very durable.

I thought those things were so fast, you wouldn't even need a toilet ;)

The wine is flowing as soon as you got on the plane. And they keep it coming...three hours to NYC and one trip to the head. :D

For what those flights cost back then, you have to eat and drink a lot to feel like you got your money's worth. :cool:

Got it. So now I understand we civilians are all headed toward military service standards? :)

Seriously, thank you for your service and sacrifice. We seem to be getting just a tiny, tiny, tiny touch of understanding of the many sacrifices you all had to make.

You've never used a squatty-potty in a moving train in India, have you?:D

In answer to the question on whether the lavs in Business Class are bigger- not that I've ever noticed on the long hauls I've taken on BA and the major US airlines. There IS a higher ratio of lavs to passengers, though, and the seats/pods are roomy enough that you can get to the lav from a Window seat without requiring your seatmate to get up or becoming unnecessarily intimate with them. Both are major advantages.

Frequent flyer back when I was working.... fly only occasionally last 7 years while retired. On my last flight the head was very small... while I could turn around in it I know several people who could not.

Back
Top Bottom