New Weight Loss/Obesity Drugs Could Transform Economy

Here's the mother of all stories regarding "New Weight Loss/Obesity Drugs Could Transform Economy":

Weight-loss drugs could boost US GDP by 1% in coming years, Goldman says

Feb 22 (Reuters) - The widespread use of powerful new weight-loss drugs in the United States could boost gross domestic product by 1% in the coming years as lower obesity-related complications are likely to boost workplace efficiency, according to Goldman Sachs.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...dp-by-1-coming-years-goldman-says-2024-02-22/

I just read an article in LA Times stating that the cosmetic surgery industries (plastic surgeons, estheticians, etc) are seeing a huge boost in clients due to weight loss drugs.

Rapid weight loss leading to "ozempic face"--skin sagging from fat loss. Leads to folks getting face lifts, fat implant/transfers, and then on to tummy tucks/upper arm lifts after more weight is lost. The weight is lost so rapidly that the skin often does not have a chance to adjust as it may with slower weight loss, so folks don't like the look of their bodies.
Of course, this kind of stuff is primarily for those who have the money to pay for it.

Of course, this kind of stuff is primarily for those who have the money to pay for it.

Exactly. Once it truly (if ever) gets to "widespread" use - affordable, accessible, with little side effects tolerated by most of those who want it - that's when these fever dream economic impacts will really be felt.

Until then, it's a 1% story.

Exactly. Once it truly (if ever) gets to "widespread" use - affordable, accessible, with little side effects tolerated by most of those who want it - that's when these fever dream economic impacts will really be felt.

Until then, it's a 1% story.

There are 25,000 new prescriptions per WEEK written for Lilly's Zepbound weight loss drug in December. I imagine the same pace is happening with Novo Nordisk weight loss drug.

Does that sound like a one-percenter statistic?

I might agree that getting plastic surgery after losing weight on Zepbound is a one-percenter thing.

Reminds me of an interview with Fed Chairman Powell a while back. He was asked what kept him awake at night regarding the US economy. He said the opioid epidemic...because it could reduce the size and quality of the workforce if unchecked.

A healthy workforce has to be better than an unhealthy one. Even the military is projecting less able-bodied recruits, at their current fitness standards.

Here's the mother of all stories regarding "New Weight Loss/Obesity Drugs Could Transform Economy":

Feb 22 (Reuters) - The widespread use of powerful new weight-loss drugs in the United States could boost gross domestic product by 1% in the coming years as lower obesity-related complications are likely to boost workplace efficiency, according to Goldman Sachs.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...dp-by-1-coming-years-goldman-says-2024-02-22/

I just read an article in LA Times stating that the cosmetic surgery industries (plastic surgeons, estheticians, etc) are seeing a huge boost in clients due to weight loss drugs.

Rapid weight loss leading to "ozempic face"--skin sagging from fat loss. Leads to folks getting face lifts, fat implant/transfers, and then on to tummy tucks/upper arm lifts after more weight is lost. The weight is lost so rapidly that the skin often does not have a chance to adjust as it may with slower weight loss, so folks don't like the look of their bodies.

Healthier people, spending lots of money on looking better, sounds like win/win to me (for the economy and for the stock market at least.)

Healthier people, spending lots of money on looking better, sounds like win/win to me (for the economy and for the stock market at least.)

It sounds good on paper but I doubt that will be the reality. Most likely the people that will be taking the drug will eat the same crappy food (but less of it), and won't start exercising either. Ozempic also reduces muscle mass, so there will be people that:

- lose fat (good)
- lose muscle (bad)
- don't eat enough healthy food (bad)

Cosmetic surgery can be financed with a loan or credit cards. So a lot of folks who do not have the money can pay for it :).

Cosmetic surgery can be financed with a loan or credit cards. So a lot of folks who do not have the money can pay for it :).

Heh, heh, imagine a collection agency threatening to repossess your augmentation j*b! I think there was a movie about that (hearts and kidneys??):cool: YMMV

There are 25,000 new prescriptions per WEEK written for Lilly's Zepbound weight loss drug in December. I imagine the same pace is happening with Novo Nordisk weight loss drug.

I might agree that getting plastic surgery after losing weight on Zepbound is a one-percenter thing.

Well, mathematically, yes, 2.6m after a year would be about 1% of US adults. But either way, a sustained number of 5million or more folks taking it would perhaps start to have actual economic impacts? Less food, more clothing (all new wardrobe!).

A large economic impact I think of is for those who own the stock of these companies. Stock prices of companies with these new drugs has gone through the roof. It would seem this fact would affect the whole economy at some level.

Best scenario: Own lots of stock in such companies. Be naturally thin and not in need of the product. Thus, avoid new clothes and cosmetic surgery. Retire even Earlier than originally planned. Heh, heh, no such thing as too thin or too rich.:cool:

On Monday night, Oprah Winfrey hosted a one hour special about semaglutides on ABC. Although there was a small amount of time given to risks and side effects, it personally felt like an infomercial to me.

On Monday night, Oprah Winfrey hosted a one hour special about semaglutides on ABC. Although there was a small amount of time given to risks and side effects, it personally felt like an infomercial to me.
No surprise. I didn't see it. It doesn't appear to be available online unless you have a cable subscripton or Hulu. Definitely not something I need.

Last week Eli Lilly announced a partnership with Amazon to have Amazon deliver their weight loss drug, Zepbound. This will be done through Amazon's new pharmacy division.

Well, mathematically, yes, 2.6m after a year would be about 1% of US adults. But either way, a sustained number of 5million or more folks taking it would perhaps start to have actual economic impacts? Less food, more clothing (all new wardrobe!).

Well, Zepbound hit over 77,000 new prescriptions for the week ending March 8th. That's up over 300% in just a tad over 2 months. Projected to an annual level, 77,000 per week would be 4 million new prescriptions per year.

There are only about 1.6 million people (technically 1.6 million tax returns) out of all taxpayers that are in the upper 1% of earners in the U.S.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...iptions-surpass-wegovy-first-time-2024-03-15/

Last edited:
There’s been more information recently coming out about the sweetener Allulose. It’s not artificial. It is found in plants and has a slightly different chemical configuration than fructose. Therefore it is not metabolized by the liver. Table sugar is slightly sweeter than Allulose so you need to add 1.25 times Allulose to get the sweetness of sugar.
Benefits:
Tastes like sugar, no aftertaste
Granulated like table sugar so you can bake with it
Browns like table sugar
No calories, no glucose spike, no insulin response
GLP 1 agonist (like Ozempic) but shorter half life and natural as opposed to artificial
Suppresses appetite
Satisfies sweet tooth
Lowers base line insulin levels over time
Cons: can cause bloating/stomach upset in higher amounts (but so does other sweeteners)
Expensive
Look at Dr Richard Johnson’s website and also Dr David Perlmutter.
No, I’m not an Allulose representative and have little personal experience with it except to try it. it tastes just like sugar…no aftertaste. I just wanted to throw this out there for discussion.
Check out information online

Post retirement I dropped 40 plus lbs. Partly due from watching what I ate and drank. Most of it attrributable to a change in diet resulting from international travel.

About a year after retiring 12 or so years ago I had a physical/work-up. Spouse was after me for several years to get it done.

The MD at the time told me what could happen at my present speed and course if I kept on without change. I changed. Old dogs can learn new tricks if so inclined or motivated.

Had the next physical/work-up 12 years later ( a few months ago). Spouse was after me again. Had not seen a physician in the interim for anything.

Numbers across the board were all substantially better than 12 years ago. Most especially what the MD referred to as the critical numbers. No concerns.

The big plus is that I started to feel MUCH better almost immediately (this surprised me and gave me even more reason to change) and looked much better after a short time according to those who know me.

Physician attributes the improved numbers to change of course.... diet, lifestyle, and a little daily exercise.

No cost, all benefit.

Might even have been a cost saving based on what we cut out of our previously poor diets.

Last edited:
Post retirement I dropped 40 plus lbs. Partly due from watching what I ate and drank. Most of it attrributable to a change in diet resulting from international travel.

About a year after retiring 12 or so years ago I had a physical/work-up. Spouse was after me for several years to get it done.

The MD at the time told me what could happen at my present speed and course if I kept on without change. I changed. Old dogs can learn new tricks if so inclined or motivated.

Had the next physical/work-up 12 years later ( a few months ago). Spouse was after me again. Had not seen a physician in the interim for anything.

Numbers across the board were all substantially better than 12 years ago. Most especially what the MD referred to as the critical numbers. No concerns.

The big plus is that I started to feel MUCH better almost immediately (this surprised me and gave me even more reason to change) and looked much better after a short time according to those who know me.

Physician attributes the improved numbers to change of course.... diet, lifestyle, and a little daily exercise.

No cost, all benefit.

Might even have been a cost saving based on what we cut out of our previously poor diets.

Results sound great, but I'm curious why 12 years wait? Most folks of retirement age would have at least a yearly visit with a PCP which would include blood tests, etc. Lots of things out there trying to kill us, so regular check ups would seem more prudent - but YMMV.

No acceptable reason for delay other that I was feeling just fine thank you very much. Never ill. Even more so since my spouse spent her career in health care. She had given up 'reminding me'.

And even less since where we live we live medicare. All costs covered. And, while working I had access to annual executive health services by my employer.

Put it down to stupidity, stubborness, whatever.

I did however get the the colon cancer test mailed to me when I was 65, automatically like everyone else where we live. I did the test and submitted the sample. Clear. Same again at my physical.

Having said that one thing I have always kept up my vaccinations/shots via our health centres.

At my recent check up my physician made it quite clear to me that she expected me to be back in 12 months or so. I have committed to do so. I do not want to get fired as a patient. Besides the older I get the higher the risk. I have been lucky so far. No need to push that luck.

Last edited:
There’s been more information recently coming out about the sweetener Allulose. It’s not artificial. It is found in plants and has a slightly different chemical configuration than fructose. Therefore it is not metabolized by the liver. Table sugar is slightly sweeter than Allulose so you need to add 1.25 times Allulose to get the sweetness of sugar.
<snip>

Thank you for mentioning this. I have not heard of this before. I'm going to see if I can find it in my local supermarket. :)

What dietary changes did you make? Simply eat/drink less or go to a specific new diet such as low carb, etc?

There’s been more information recently coming out about the sweetener Allulose.

For sure it’s most interesting. Personally I find it just as sweet as sugar if I simply taste it on its own but much less sweet in coffee or cocoa.
Peter Attia made a comment not long ago about it seeming to actually pull glucose out of his system.

I’ve been intrigued enough to use it recently. Too soon to say if I’ll be a regular user.

For sure it’s most interesting. Personally I find it just as sweet as sugar if I simply taste it on its own but much less sweet in coffee or cocoa.
Peter Attia made a comment not long ago about it seeming to actually pull glucose out of his system.

I’ve been intrigued enough to use it recently. Too soon to say if I’ll be a regular user.
Is it like Stevia?

What dietary changes did you make? Simply eat/drink less or go to a specific new diet such as low carb, etc?

We have been typically spending 2-3 months in SE Asia during winter and 2 months in Italy and Greece, etc. in the fall post retirment.

We did not really follow any specific diet. The change really started out first winter in Thailand. Now,,,we both hate the 'chemical taste' of prepared foods and the 'goopy tastelessness' of most of the fast food. We will order pizza sometimes but that is the extent of it. The one thing we did purposely eliminate was junk food...potato chips, etc.

No change in alcholic beverage consumption. Well, I certainly drank more beer in Thailand/Malaysia and less wine. Don't drink soft drinks, definately never bothered with sugar free drinks or sugar free anything.

Cut out all fast foods (very easy), just about all prepared foods. No doughnuts, etc. If we eat a baked dessert we go for a higher end product-not pre-packaged commercial product.

edit to add: My sister is the complete opposite. Five years older. Keeps getting bigger Major health, back, and joint issues that have robbed her of qualtiy of life and a great deal of mobiliy. Loads of prescriptions, pain killers, etc. Continually being told to cut back. This continues to serve me as a reminder not to go back to my old ways.

Cut out almost all fried foods. We only use olive oil. No white bread in favour of organic multi grain. We now eat so little slized bread that we keep it in the freezer and take it out by the slice. I no longer like white breads/rolls. Seldom ever bother with butter any more. For toast...natural peanut butter. About the only time DW uses butter is in baking.

Seldom have potatoes, even less often fries. Lost the taste for them. Fresh salads, sometimes vegatables with most meals. Salad dressing is typically balsamic or a bit of olive oil and lemon. No goopy store products laden with chemicals and fats...most especially those so called 'diet or calorie reduced ones'. We started paying attention to labels/ingredients. THe longer the ingredient list or the more fats and chemicals the less chance that we would buy it.

We eat much less red meat. Not on purpose, just what we became accustomed to while traveling. More boneless, skinless chicken, and seafood. Pasta in moderation but neither of us like heavy Alfredo sauces.

Los of fresh fruit. We both love cheese...no real reduction in that either.

I cannot say that I ever dieted. It was much more about changing what I ate. I never felt that I was depriving myself. The other thing I did was stop before I went back for more. For about five minutes. Usually that gave my food time to settle and I no longer wanted more.

The first time I really noticed that I had lost weight and was feeling much healthier was after six or eight weeks in Thailand/Malaysia. I was getting more exercise...walking the beach, and eating what the locals eat.

That's it. It was not really a big deal or a big accomplishment. It just happened....by osmosis if you will. We have both lost the taste for some of things we used to like and eat regularly. One other thing...we were both honest with it. If we wanted something 'unhealthy' every once in a while we had it....without making feeble excuses to ourselves.

DW has also lost a little weight but she was always slim. Her huge bonus was in her numbers. She has a physical and work-up every year. With little real effort or sacrifice she saw improvements in both.

The only supplement/vitamin I take or has been recommended is D.

Last edited:
I gave up on sweeteners other than half-n-half in my coffee. No sugar, no nothing.

Back
Top Bottom