Tipping for the holidays

Luvtoride

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just read an article in Kiplingers Personal Finance by Lizzie Post (Emily Post’s great granddaughter) about tipping for the holidays. It discussed some new services that should be considered for holiday tipping due to the pandemic such as grocery delivery.

I’ve tipped my postal delivery person (even though they are restricted and not supposed to accept cash tips) and trash collectors for years and have gotten good service. We also tip our cleaning lady an extra service fee each year.

Are there any other “new” frequent service providers you are planning holiday tips for? Amazon or UPS delivery people? What amounts?

I just read an article in Kiplingers Personal Finance by Lizzie Post (Emily Post’s great granddaughter) about tipping for the holidays. It discussed some new services that should be considered for holiday tipping due to the pandemic such as grocery delivery.

I’ve tipped my postal delivery person (even though they are restricted and not supposed to accept cash tips) and trash collectors for years and have gotten good service. We also tip our cleaning lady an extra service fee each year.

Are there any other “new” frequent service providers you are planning holiday tips for? Amazon or UPS delivery people? What amounts?

How would this grocery delivery thing work. They already get tipped for each and every delivery on top of the delivery charge. It's my understanding you don't get the same delivery person so you just give the random one that deliver Christmas week a big tip. That seems lame.

Let Kiplingers give them a bonus tip.

These threads pop up every single year. Tip who you want, thats all. I know people will go on and on about how they shouldnt have to tip this person or that person, etc etc. Tip who you want, the end.

Typically, I give the butler, my valet, our pilots, the chef and his staff, my personal assistant, the maids, both captains, and our tennis instructor and golf pro each a crisp new twenty dollar bill right before Christmas.

But seriously, remember those who give you good service throughout the year during the holidays.

Typically, I give the butler, my valet, our pilots, the chef and his staff, my personal assistant, the maids, both captains, and our tennis instructor and golf pro each a crisp new twenty dollar bill right before Christmas.

But seriously, remember those who give you good service throughout the year during the holidays.

You forgot the pool boy and the dog walker. :LOL:

There are lots of people who make our lives easier or more pleasant, who don't get paid all that well, so we always tips well - especially so since Covid made life tougher for many of them.

At Christmas we tip all those people double or triple the last time we expect to see them before Christmas. And we tip our mail person and trash guys at Christmas as well. We've done both for years, why not?

Last edited:

our lawn cutting and maintenance crew, our snow removal crew, garbage/recycle drivers, postman, house cleaner, newspaper delivery guy. we are able to be outrageously generous with them and a host of local and national charities. Merry Christmas!

Our garbage collection comes at 6AM. The driver does not get out of truck. It is all mechanized. Moreover we have three different trucks/drivers/bins. One for recycle, one for compostable, and a third bin for landfill garbage.

Our mail goes to a box. Never see mailperson.

So no, we do not tip these people.

I believe that tipping has gone too far. It is not about being frugal. We give very generously to a number of causes. We just believe some people tip as an ego booster.

There are lots of people who make our lives easier or more pleasant, who don't get paid all that well, so we always tips well - especially so since Covid made life tougher for many of them.

At Christmas we tip all those people double or triple the last time we expect to see them before Christmas. And we tip our mail person and trash guys at Christmas as well. We've done both for years, why not?

If you have a lot of money and it makes you feel good, why not.

However, on the other hand,if I take my wife out to a very nice dinner and it totals $100 I am a bit bothered that I am suppose to tip our waiter $20 for very little work. We are easy.No drinks or desert.
How about the people who work their butt off at fast food places?
The restaurant should pay the waiters a wage based on their job difficulties and required skills. It should not be the customer’s job to pay their employees.
The whole system is ridiculous and soon it will be 33.3% because social media built it up.
I owned a flooring business. I paid my installers a good wage. It was not my customers responsibility. This entire restaurant situation is a manufactured deal that has no logical reason.

Our garbage collection comes at 6AM. The driver does not get out of truck. It is all mechanized. Moreover we have three different trucks/drivers/bins. One for recycle, one for compostable, and a third bin for landfill garbage.

A former neighbor knew the postman's name and gave a gift every year. For me the mail just appears in the box. The Emterra guys come around in multiple trucks and I'm not sure if they are the same ones from week to week. I wouldn't mind tipping but I wouldn't know the sub from the regular.

If you have a lot of money and it makes you feel good, why not.

However, on the other hand,if I take my wife out to a very nice dinner and it totals $100 I am a bit bothered that I am suppose to tip our waiter $20 for very little work. We are easy.No drinks or desert.
How about the people who work their butt off at fast food places?
The restaurant should pay the waiters a wage based on their job difficulties and required skills. It should not be the customer’s job to pay their employees.
The whole system is ridiculous and soon it will be 33.3% because social media built it up.
I owned a flooring business. I paid my installers a good wage. It was not my customers responsibility. This entire restaurant situation is a manufactured deal that has no logical reason.
This is a thread about tipping at the holidays, not the pros and cons of tipping.

We just believe some people tip as an ego booster.

Yeah. And, of course, some people don't tip as an ego booster. It takes all kinds.......... And situations vary.

This is a thread about tipping at the holidays, not the pros and cons of tipping.

Sorry. I was directed here from another thread and did not realize.
Bah humbug on me.

I use to gladly tip 20 at Xmas to the woman who use to cut my hair. Now since covid my wife cuts it.
I also tipped at Xmas the guy who delivers our newspaper by car early in the morning.That is not a job I wish on anyone.

A former neighbor knew the postman's name and gave a gift every year. For me the mail just appears in the box. The Emterra guys come around in multiple trucks and I'm not sure if they are the same ones from week to week. I wouldn't mind tipping but I wouldn't know the sub from the regular.

that's why we call the refuse company and get the names of the the regular garbage and recycle truck drivers and mail gift cards to them at their facility.

Read your previous post. (Rather than answering the question posed by the OP) you made a general statement and explained why you like to tip generously, and then expressly asked why some might choose otherwise. You shouldn’t be surprised when other people follow your discursive example and then indirectly answer your question.

Last edited:
We have a "snack and drink" table set up on the front porch with bags of Lays and candies and bottles of water and an invite on the inside of the mailbox for all delivery people to have a snack and sip - :)

Merry Christmas!

We tip the folks who keep up the property at the Condo. We tip the staff at church. We tip the USPS carrier (the official amount allowed by USPS is $20!). We tip the News carrier.

In short, we tip those folks who "serve" us and do so professionally and cordially. We like to reinforce good service. YMMV

The only people we always see for a service are the gentleman that does our lawn service and the young couple who help with a cleaning service (once a month). Both are conscientious and go beyond what we expect. The young couple have been struggling throughout the past year when they had to stop for about 5 months to take care of a sick parent but recently started back up last week. We will give them both a Christmas bonus. Any other service like mail, refuse pickup, and recycle pickup have been different people so we don't tip.

Cheers!

Minimum wage for restaurant servers is already at $12.55/hour, and as of January 1st increases to $15/hour. That's a decent wage for unskilled work. YMMV, but I see no need to tip on top of it.
That's in Canada. In the US, the tipped minimum wage is still $2.13/hour, the same since 1991. And yes, employers are supposed to make up the difference between that and the regular minimum wage if the total wage with tips comes to less than the regular minimum wage, but in practice anyone who asks their employer to make up the wage will usually find they are suddenly not getting any hours on the schedule.

That's in Canada. In the US, the tipped minimum wage is still $2.13/hour, the same since 1991. And yes, employers are supposed to make up the difference between that and the regular minimum wage if the total wage with tips comes to less than the regular minimum wage, but in practice anyone who asks their employer to make up the wage will usually find they are suddenly not getting any hours on the schedule.

Which is the federal minimum and the amount varies by state. In my state it’s $13.69 and higher in some cities. This is the standard minimum wage regardless if the job is tipped.

As an early retiree, I view my economic place in life as one of good fortune. As such I don't quibble about this rounding error in my economic picture.

So no, we do not tip these people.

I believe that tipping has gone too far. It is not about being frugal. We give very generously to a number of causes. We just believe some people tip as an ego booster.

Brett, I'm not sure how comparing giving charity to worthwhile organizations equates to tipping (or in your case NOT Tipping) people who provide services to you throughout the year.

I think as many here have stated, sharing some of our good fortune directly with those who provide services to us throughout the year doesn't seem to be "going too far" or be providing an "ego boost" to those of us who do choose to give tips for the holidays.

I guess I got the answer to my original post.

Back
Top Bottom