Two Age Questions

Think & like to = 90. Grandparents avg. 81, grandfathers avg. 87, parents 82, but parents both had problems unrelated to genetics that shortened their lives.

I'm also not interested in living into my 90s although it's possible given my family history. My great-grandmother died at 93 only a few days after entering a nursing home; she'd lived in hor own house till then (with plenty of support for nearby family). Amazing that she'd never had a Pap smear or monitored her cholesterol level. My Grandfather, her son, lived till he was 95 even though he'd smoked most of his life. His last letter to me before he died ended with, "PS- There is such as thing as living too long".

My financial planning goes out to age 95 (with plenty of funds left) but if I exit this world in my late 80s that would be OK with me.

+1

Grandmothers lived into early 90s - for both of them it was 3-5 years too long. One grandfather died at 80, but that's because he fell out a tree he was pruning - probably would have lived at least 10 more years.

Every day when I wake up it's "So far, so good"......someone asked me, when I was stair walking recently, how old I was....said "I'll be 77 this year.....if I make it".

Age I will get to be.... current age + 20 years

Age I want to get to.... current age + 20 years

I always have wanted 20 more years. Greedy bastard that I am.

Well, if I could continue at my current level of health, mobility, engagement and general enjoyment of life ( currently 68 1/2) - indefinitely. That not being a currently attainable goal I'll grudgingly settle for my parents situation who were still enjoying life in their 90's. But whatever I'm granted at this stage I'm grateful for.

I have zero interest in living into my 90's. Mom, dad, and most of my grandparents made it into their 90's and one lived a few years past 100. After seeing and remembering all of them at those ages, I don't want to go out that way. To much of a sissy. Maybe late 70's or early 80's and I'll probably be done.... Makes calculating my WR easier.

Last edited:
I have zero interest in living into my 90's. Mom, dad, and most of my grandparents made it into their 90's and one lived a few years past 100. After seeing and remembering all of them at those ages, I don't want to go out that way. To much of a sissy. Maybe late 70's or early 80's and I'll be done.... Makes calculating my WR easier.

That's what a lot of people say... until they reach their late 70's or early 80's.

That's what a lot of people say... until they reach their late 70's or early 80's.
Yep, I've heard that from a few too. Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt that I'll be around by then for that to become a concern for me. I am very much aware that burning the candle at both ends for to long comes at a high cost.

Last edited:
I have zero interest in living into my 90's. Mom, dad, and most of my grandparents made it into their 90's and one lived a few years past 100. After seeing and remembering all of them at those ages, I don't want to go out that way.

Lots of people live active healthy lives into their 80's and 90's.

An 86 year old woman enjoys swinging on a trapeze: https://www.wtnh.com/news/unusual-stories/86-year-old-trapeze-artist-breaks-world-record/1694126417

Betty Dodson (sex educator) is 89 years old and still looks great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Dodson

Charles Eugster lifted weights and ran track and field till he died at 97.

And George Burns performed until he was 100.

Of course, my dad died from lung cancer at 54, my first step dad drowned at 39, and my second step dad died of a stroke at 55.

Age doesn't mean much, it's the quality of life that matters. I would rather die healthy at 60, than sick at 80. Healthy and 90 would be even better. :)

Mom died suddenly at age 83 and Dad carried on for almost 5 years on a long downhill slide, dying at 90.

None of this looked like fun.

I would like to die between 78 and 82, after a short illness. A short illness gives you some time to take it seriously and get ready. Or, going out like a light like my Mom looks fairly painless and efficient. Overall, I'd rather go a little too soon rather than a little too late.

I hope that by 78 I'd have done what I wanted to do in life. Having our first grandchild a few months ago make me want to make it long enough to see him launch his life.

Like any of us in a couple, it makes me sad to think of going first and leaving DH alone. The alternative is that if he goes first, I would be alone.

Bummer all around.

Last edited:
One parent and 2 grandparents died before 60. I don't think my odds are good since they seemed to be in good health at the time.

I hope that by 78 I'd have done what I wanted to do in life. Having our first grandchild a few months ago make me want to make it long enough to see him launch his life.
I have a different outlook, as I am still doing things at 80. I just signed up to fly a P-40 for my 81st birthday this year. Also, I hope to get our 23 Ton switch engine running.

Last edited:
+1

Grandmothers lived into early 90s - for both of them it was 3-5 years too long. One grandfather died at 80, but that's because he fell out a tree he was pruning - probably would have lived at least 10 more years.
That sounds like a great way to go! I would love to have it all end falling off a ladder or roof. But what if I don't die?? That would be miserable.

Who knows if family longetivity is a good indication of how old someone will live to.

My mother's family lives to be late 80's to as old as 99 3/4. My mother had incredible healthcare with heart issues and COPD from age 75 to her death at age 91.

Half of my father's family lives to be old and the other half are diabetics--not living too old. I have a 60 year old cousin that looks like she's 80 and can hardly walk. I too have Type II diabetes, but I'm on a pump and very stable. I'm very spry for 68, and planning on making it to 85 or older.

When my diabetic father was on hemodialysis (4 years), he said that every year past 80 gets tougher and tougher to make. He lived to 87.

I will probably live to 85 based on my gut feel. I hope to live to 95 with good health. But if I were to suffer from prolonged, devastated illness, I want to go ASAP, thank you.

Both of my younger brothers died with cancer at ages 49, and 53 which may go against my answers above.

We are doing our financial planning with the goal of living to age 105 and our last check will bounce.
My parents passed at 70 and 80. My DW's mother is currently 96 and HER mother lived to age 101...so it is not crazy to think 105 may happen to one of us. If we do not make it that far, heirs will get additional funds.

DF died at 79, but he stopped "living" at about 60. DM is 91, and she has a personal trainer, and does burpees! She is slowing down, and may not have much longer, but I think I'll take her 90+ if I can enjoy the physical and mental health she has.

Back
Top Bottom