ugh broken keyboard

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
its with great regret that i can't post or read anything for a while . my keyboard drank some coffee :mad:. i have to send it for service . i am using the onscreen keyboard .

I assume you've got a laptop. If a desktop, you just go buy another keyboard.

We recently broke the hinges on our Chromebook. Since we long since got our $149 usage out of the rig, we just trashed ir.

I'd already stepped up to a $169 Windows II based 'puter which we keep absolutely no data or anything on. My good computer has all the good stuff stored on its hard drive, and we seldom even use it any longer. But the info's there waiting if needed.

I solved this problem with a USB keyboard as imoldernu suggested, then after a decent interval for things to shake out, I remapped the keys so I could go back to using the regular keyboard. It takes awhile for your fingers to learn a new layout, but if you only have a few bad keys, it can work.

Then invest in a keyboard protector —*after my incident, I bought them for all of the laptops in our household.

I don't put liquids next to where I type as the old saying goes, "Not if, but when" there'll be an accidental spill.

My Surface Pro 3 is docked in my home office and at the lake place. I have a real monitor, real mouse, and real keyboard. I drown a keyboard in tea or diet soda once or twice a year, so I keep spares. $4 each at MicroCenter. I have two spares handy right now.

I'm with OldShooter. There was a brief historical period when even so much as carrying a cup of coffee into the computer room was a disciplinary offense, but the things are cheap and ubiquitous now. If a keyboard bites the dust every so often, that's just an excuse to upgrade.

myspacebarisstuckandIcan'ttypeanythinganymore!

I'm with OldShooter. There was a brief historical period when even so much as carrying a cup of coffee into the computer room was a disciplinary offense, but the things are cheap and ubiquitous now. If a keyboard bites the dust every so often, that's just an excuse to upgrade.

Remember that well. Have seen quite a few operators written up for having liquids in the computer room. Of course that was some time ago.

If I start using a laptop for home, I'll plug in a real big monitor and real keyboard and mouse, and just pretend I'm still using a computer box.

I refuse to use a laptop keyboard unless I'm traveling.... they are not standard layouts.

did a similar thing with a decent laptop. bought a wireless keyboard and mouse combination. I expect getting the keyboard fixed or replaced would be more $, but a bit nicer. That was my solution.
qwer are the only keys effected on my keyboard

If I start using a laptop for home, I'll plug in a real big monitor and real keyboard and mouse, and just pretend I'm still using a computer box.

I refuse to use a laptop keyboard unless I'm traveling.... they are not standard layouts.
Of course. I've been doing that for maybe 25 years. Docks, monitors, keyboards, mice plus sometimes scanners and sound systems, home, lake home, and in olden times, at work.

The nice thing these days is my "laptop" is a MS Surface Pro 3, so extremely compact. In laptop configuration it goes with me to SCORE when I am mentoring. In tablet configuration it sits with me in my recliner with morning coffee for reading daily news sites and overnight email. The touch keyboard and/or handwriting recognition are actually quite good but for anything but short emails I wait until it's back in its dock and I have a real keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom