Ugh - Toilet Problems

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I've been struggling with my toilets since shortly after we put them in about 8 years ago. They have a double flapper mechanism and I've had to replace that mechanism on both toilets twice now. I just replaced the flappers on one of the toilets for the third time and it's not curing the leak. No problem, right, I'll replace the entire innards of the toilet after the holidays.

Then, earlier this evening, DW calls me into the other bathroom and there is water at the base of the other toilet. A little investigative work and sure enough, it's leaking at the base. Either the ring is leaking or it somehow cracked. Ugh.

I know at some level, all this can be repaired, but I'm fed up. After the holidays, I'll call a plumber and have two new toilets put in. Thinking that I'll go with a Toto. If anyone has a recommendation for a more reliable brand/model, I'm all ears (eyes :) ).

I had one toilet (out of 3) that was giving me grief ever since we moved here in 2015. I finally had enough of it, since my repairs didn't do any better than yours.

So in 2019 I just went down to Home Depot, picked up a new complete toilet and installed it myself. It's really an easy job. No problems since then.

A "more reliable" brand than what, Toto or what you have? You didn't say what you have now.

Personally, I find keeping it simple is best. A simple $180 Delta or American Standard or equivalent that can take a standard Flowmaster fill valve and standard flapper is what I like. Easy to repair, parts available out the wazzoo, all for less than $20. 10 minute swap out for the valve, 1 minute for the flapper.

All the others with their special flappers and pressure flushes just ask for trouble.

Base leak could be a crack. That would be tough, but it happens, usually because someone torqued down the bolts too much. The most likely cause is it was installed with some new-fangled all rubber seal. Those are crap. Or a wax ring with a horn that wasn't set right. More crap. Nothing is better than 120 year old technology: a simple ugly and sticky wax ring without that stupid horn, and going easy on the bolts. Yeah, it is messy, but it worked great for your great grandfather and still works good today.

That's my opinion and I'm (wax ring) sticking to it! :angel:

Last edited:
I prefer Eljer (by American Standard)

Easy DIY project.

The house we bought four years ago had the taller commodes in the two main bathrooms. Wasn't sure about them at first but really like them now.

A "more reliable" brand than what, Toto or what you have? You didn't say what you have now.

I have an American Standard "Optum VorMax". It has a two flapper design that has been nothing but problems.

https://www.americanstandard-us.com...-Elongated-Toilet-with-Seat/WHITE-707AA101020

So, more reliable than an American Standard - which I thought was a great brand. I've had Toto's before and had no problems with them but if there's something else worth looking at, I'm interested. I put the one toilet out of commission and will deal with this after the holidays.

Easy DIY project.

Probably, but I'm done. Plus, I need to do something I didn't when we redid the bathrooms here - change out the shut off valves.

The house we bought four years ago had the taller commodes in the two main bathrooms. Wasn't sure about them at first but really like them now.

Agree, we like the taller models, which these are, as were the ones in our previous house.

Toilets are pretty simple. Surfaces must be clean where washers meet the smooth porcelain. Do not use toilet "cookies or cakes" as they are caustic and eat at the soft rubber seals. I forbade my tenants over the years to use them or the toilet repairs were on them. I had maybe 10 toilet calls in 24 years; although I would replace parts in between tenants, who were generally long term tenants.

Use some food coloring in bowl and tank, different colors, to confirm what is leaking and will show a crack. A crack will occur only if bolts were installed too tight, or not sitting square on floor. Door shims can be used to stop rocking. Brand of toilet makes no difference, but I'm a firm believer in the Fluidmaster fill valve, and Korky flappers.

Thinking that I'll go with a Toto. If anyone has a recommendation for a more reliable brand/model, I'm all ears (eyes :) ).

I will just briefly answer your question. Toto makes the very best toilets.

You can replace your old junk with Toto on your own. Check out youtube how to do it. I would not buy anything besides Toto. ;)

Last edited:
+1 for Toto. We had builder-grade toilets in our current home for 20 years. Replaced a few years with Totos, and will never go back.

Last two bath remodels, we used American Standard Cadet Pro toilets. The internal mechanism is simple, effective, easy to adjust, and easy to replace. Nice height. No problems in over 6 years. It also comes in a 14" rough-in version. This helped us eliminate a large gap between the toilet and the back wall in one of the remodels.

I know at some level, all this can be repaired, but I'm fed up. After the holidays, I'll call a plumber and have two new toilets put in.

Yes, this. We have Kohlers, but would look at Toto next time. Don't mess around with fixing, just BTD.

I recommend the Totos. When we moved into our current place, we spent the first 8 years replacing the innards of three toilets repeatedly. Then we got frustrated and bought the Totos, and I cannot even tell you what their insides look like because I have not needed to open the tank lids in 13 years. They've been worth every penny!

I have an American Standard "Optum VorMax". It has a two flapper design that has been nothing but problems.

https://www.americanstandard-us.com...-Elongated-Toilet-with-Seat/WHITE-707AA101020

So, more reliable than an American Standard - which I thought was a great brand. I've had Toto's before and had no problems with them but if there's something else worth looking at, I'm interested. I put the one toilet out of commission and will deal with this after the holidays.

When we redid our bathroom we put one of these in... it has worked almost flawlessly... the only time I have had a problem is when I did not push the handle down far enough and only one flapper opened... still flushed but not with the same power...

When we redid our bathroom we put one of these in... it has worked almost flawlessly... the only time I have had a problem is when I did not push the handle down far enough and only one flapper opened... still flushed but not with the same power...

Shhhh. You don’t want to jinx it.

Unfortunately, mine have been terrible. I put the cheapest I could find in my daughter’s house when we fixed it up for her when we bought it and that thing is still working more than 10 years later. The only thing that went bad is the soft close seat.

In my case, I was just about to rebuild everything in the one toilet but tonight when the other one started leaking, that was the last straw. There’s no way I’m picking one of these toilets up (to get to the ring) and not throwing it away. And since I’m going to have a plumber out to do it, they’re both going and I’m going to get the new shut off valves that I should have done when we redid this house.

Personally, I find keeping it simple is best. A simple $180 Delta or American Standard or equivalent that can take a standard Flowmaster fill valve and standard flapper is what I like. Easy to repair, parts available out the wazzoo, all for less than $20. 10 minute swap out for the valve, 1 minute for the flapper.

All the others with their special flappers and pressure flushes just ask for trouble.

Yep, exactly what JoeWras wrote.

All I've ever needed to do to any was replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400A or swap out a Korky flapper maybe every decade or so.

We have 6 Kohler's with the higher seat on them in the present house with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
You don't need a plumber to do this. It is simple DIY job.

Just measure how far are screws holding old toilet from the wall so you buy toilet that fits well. You can order Toto to be delivered to your local Home Depot. Pick it up and install it. You will be amazed how powerfull flush Toto has even with 1.28 GPF. The minute you flush it you will see that Toto knows how to build toilets :). It works better than old toilets using 7 gallons of water.

https://vevano.com/blogs/bathroom-resources/toilet-rough-in-dimensions

Last edited:
I installed 4 new toilets at our place a couple of years ago. 2 Totos. 2 American Standards. All are holding up well. One of the American Standards developed a leak a few weeks ago. Put on a new wax ring and all is well. Very easy.

I like the Totos better. Seems like they have more flushing power. Also, I had installed wainscoting in our powder room that reduced the distance from the toilet to the wall. Toto has parts that allow for changing the back distance for an existing toilet. Got one of those and increased my back distance.

Changing a toilet is easy - I use the wax rings with the plastic horn. Seems to me that the plastic horn helps to keep the wax ring aligned when pressed into place.

Changing a toilet is easy - I use the wax rings with the plastic horn. Seems to me that the plastic horn helps to keep the wax ring aligned when pressed into place.

I'm the hornless guy, and I'll tell you why in a minute. But first my disclaimer: the horns (usually marketed as "reinforced") help in 90% of the cases, but really screw things up in 10%. If you feel better using them, go ahead, but check one thing before you do, and "dry fit" the horn to the flange before going further.

That "one thing" is to make sure the flange is not a repair flange. If you live in a new house, that's probably not a problem. Seems like most people on this board do. Repair flanges change the geometry and frequently the horn doesn't fit well inside because the repair is a slip-in with a smaller diameter than standard.

Again, dry fit the horn first before proceeding with toilet installation.

Yea if you find flange is broken and flange is either cast iron or has glued plastit to plastic it is time to call plumber.

Though minor flange damage can be handled with those neat screws. :) "Eastman 40210 Nylon Closet Bolt-Pair, White, 2.5 Inch". They are square on the bottom so screw holds even in flange with some damage.

I had those handy when I replaced my old 7gpf for Toto 1.28gpf.

Last edited:
Have bought Kohler from Lowes for 3 bathrooms here.

I prefer Eljer (by American Standard)

Easy DIY project.

Second that. Also a one piece has less places to leak. Replace shut off valve if it looks beat up or has deposits on it. Plastic the floor if removing toilet, or but old toilet in contractor bag before going thru your house with it

Back
Top Bottom