Used items on ebay

SmallCityDave

Recycles dryer sheets
What's the last used item that you bought on ebay or what used item(s) do you buy on a regular basis on ebay?

When ebay first started they were known for the used items that were sold on their platform but it's so rare that I buy anything used on ebay it's been well over a year my last item was a tv seriers on dvd.

I bought an old-time cookie press like this one. The one I've been using for 45 years finally broke this Christmas. I make spritz cookies every year for Christmas - hundreds of them. My family would have a heart attack if I didn't make these at Christmas. This year my 7-yr old granddaughter (who is totally into dinosaurs) wanted dinosaur cookies. So I pinched and pulled on the camel shaped cookies and turned them into brachiosaurus :LOL:

Attachments

• cookie press.jpg
    cookie press.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 69
Plastic birdcage Christmas ornaments that have a small metal spinner in the center that we had as kids in the 1960's. Definitely used. Love having them on the tree!

Last edited:
I bought a used (2002) book this week. I have always been pleased with my ebay purchases (new or used). Granted, most purchases are in the less than $50 category.

Here is a link to the associated Amazon listing. I think I paid $7, inclusive of shipping, on ebay.

-gauss

Last edited:
Two math books that were originally from libraries. Before that, it was some time pre-2019. Probably a shirt or a Roper Whitney #7 punch or a duffel bag. Years ago I bought a microscope and a backpack. I look for used stuff on Ebay semi-regularly but rarely find something I want. Usually the shipping makes it too expensive.

I like eBay, but mostly purchase items that are no longer produced. The last items were a Playschool Elmo (new) and a car emblem.

I’ve sold more than a hundred items on eBay, never bought anything...

I avoid selling on eBay wherever possible. Selling there is expensive and they are very high-handed and arrogant when dealing with the sellers -- forgetting who pays the bills.

Much of what I buy is small Chinese stuff like camera accessories, electrical items (banana plugs came last week). But I will buy used cameras, lenses, etc. and occasionally some kind of stereo equipment. At least 90+ % of transactions are problem-free. Sometimes I get an item that is not as good as I had hoped. Once in a great while there is a problem, but eBay's obnoxious behavior toward sellers works to my advantage there. My feedback today says 860 total, 113 on sales. Most of the sales were long ago, though.

A Panasonic Toughbook, a couple weeks ago. For those who don't know, it's a ruggedized laptop, often used by police, etc. I use it in my garage with my CNC machine, which throws off a lot of chips, so the environment-proof seal is useful.

Saved $1000's vs new. And it's something not available locally.

I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay 20 years ago. I think it was Meg Whitman that came in and tried to turn eBay into a direct competitor to Amazon. The site went from being a true auction experience (which I liked) to mostly just hocking the same stuff other online retailers were already selling, with most sellers abandoning the bidding in favor of fixed prices. You can still find cool stuff on eBay, but when I search the site now it's mostly new products that don't even use the auction format that made eBay popular back in the day.

Looking back through my eBay history, I haven't bought anything used there for at least three years.

Fairly recently, I bought a used point and shoot camera with 30X optical zoom that was like new at a very nice price. The seller had purchased the camera last year for vacations but didn't use due to plans cancelled from pandemic. Thus, camera was like new.

In the past but one of my favorite ebay purchases is a mechanical keyboard (using that as I type). Once again, condition was like new. Seller didn't like because the click-clack noise too loud. Funny, as that's what I like about the keyboard, along with the tactile feel.

I usually shop on Amazon, but good things can be had in Ebay if taking the time to look.

Last thing I bought on ebay was a used Timeshare. It was about $1,300 a long time ago.
We got many years of use out of it, and then I gave it back to the resort.

It was worth it, but glad we got rid of it.

If you want to know where all the used stuff is being sold now, ask your kid. My kid is selling used clothes (and playing arbitrage games with thrift stores) via:
https://www.depop.com/

I still occasionally buy used scientific equipment on Ebay. Last was some spare parts for my spectrophotometers a couple of years ago. At one point I also bought a lot of machine tooling there - but again a few years back. In the last year I've picked up some used bike parts, but that's about it.

I purchased many used items on eBay. I-Arden are the main ones Cayuse these are soooooooo expensive new.

I never did get a bad iPad because of this. The one I am using on this forum is used.

The last used item I purchased is a used unlocked Verizon network AirCard WiFi receiver.

I bought a used Pex crimper and when I got it , I found one of the crimping surfaces was chipped. I complained and got a full refund. So, two of the three surfaces still work just fine. I think it was oversight by the seller not fraud.

New items are usually bought on Amazon.com as they make the purchasing experience so easy and delivery is so quick.

Things like furniture and appliances are often purchased used on Facebook Marketplace. I'm amazed at the services that are also available on there and the wide range of items listed. We especially have seen very high line furniture listed so cheap because millennials don't appear to cherish family and fine furniture.

Baseball cards, very recently. Kind of like calling a painting "used". I decided to try to fill in some missing cards of my favorite players.

Before that, I bought one or two used HO model buildings for my train layout a few years back.

I buy new and used parts for my 88 Pontiac, auto and lawn tools.

Most of what we buy on ebay is used.

Recent purchases:
- A Disney graduation pin for our daughter (she graduated over 2 years ago but never got a pin and recently mentioned that she'd like one)
- A "new" modem when we dropped our cable service
- A used book
- An inkjet printer. Ours died but I still had a few costly cartridges for it. Rather than waste those, I found a printer that used them for $15

The last big item I bought was a Lladro statue called "Shall we Dance" for DW. I paid $260 for it, and saw others for sale for between $1400 and $2100.
DW was thrilled as her useless SIL got the one her FIL had:LOL:

We buy many new, used, refurbished items on Ebay and have been doing so for over 20 years. I have purchased camera lenses, cameras, electronics, espresso makers, power tools, Bose headphones, sneakers, and many other items. Many retailers and manufacturers use Ebay as one of their online platforms (Such as Bose, Asics America, Rebook, Focus Camera, Adorama, BHPhoto). Our Ebay purchases outnumber ones from Amazon by about 8 to 1. We do price comparison shopping and Ebay normally wins the battle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom