Used items on ebay

The buyer should have updated their address as soon as the move to their new address was a done deal.

I just realized I bought a bunch of used stuff from my second Ebay account, including a "new" folding table that had a dent in the plastic top. The seller wasn't helpful but Ebay gave me a full refund of $46.81 and I got to keep the table.

Attachments

• table-damaged-small.jpg
    table-damaged-small.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
Ebay just increased seller fees by about 2-3% in some categories .

I find good deals on used items ,sometimes buy new stuff.

Been selling alot lately ,not like the old eBay better start your listing at the minimum you are will to take cause no one is bidding anymore, have started an auction at $.99 in many years.

Ebay fees recently went up, but they also eliminated Paypal as the payment system and now do it all in house (they used to own Paypal but they don't anymore). So while you're paying ebay more, you're no longer paying Paypal. I haven't figured out if it evens out or if it has increased overall.

I find good deals on used items ,sometimes buy new stuff.

Been selling alot lately ,not like the old eBay better start your listing at the minimum you are will to take cause no one is bidding anymore, have started an auction at $.99 in many years.

Are the selling fees around $13% including paypal?

I know it's not one size fits all answer but ballpark.

Ebay fees recently went up, but they also eliminated Paypal as the payment system and now do it all in house (they used to own Paypal but they don't anymore). So while you're paying ebay more, you're no longer paying Paypal. I haven't figured out if it evens out or if it has increased overall.

I paid using Pay Pal 2 days ago. Must have just changed that?

I remember when I first started with eBay no one was using Pay Pal. Paid by checque.

That will be fun. I know I won’t be purchasing anything on eBay anymore. Checques take too long to arrive to the seller.

Mostly used car parts for my 67 Camaro. My latest buy was an original GM AM radio.

For years I've driven and worked on old BMWs and Mercedes Benzes. I've bought lots of used electronic parts for a fraction of what I'd pay for new or refurbished items (new items are often unavailable). Probably the last such item I bought was a general body module for my '95 540i (the module controls interior accessories like power seats and windows).

Fancy camera gear, w*rkstation computer, photo paper, tons of expired ink name-brand ink for the thirsty large format photo printer.

A few minor issues with some electronics, but I kept the items and the function just fine for us. Saved thousands over new.

Actually, we tend to buy all camera lenses used, sometimes ebay, sometimes amazon (private seller), or a big rental outfit like LensRentals. Took a couple of big changes on ebay for lenses, with ebay's pro-buyer stance as a fallback, but the lenses ended up being excellent or at least useable.

I paid using Pay Pal 2 days ago. Must have just changed that?

I remember when I first started with eBay no one was using Pay Pal. Paid by checque.

That will be fun. I know I won’t be purchasing anything on eBay anymore. Checques take too long to arrive to the seller.
They've been rolling out the payment change in waves. My account got switched over a month or two ago.

Yes, I remember the check days as I've been selling on ebay since 1997.

The new system is great. No checks. No Paypal. No third party involved. The payment is processed directly through ebay and they send you your money right after the transaction closes.

Used electronics can be very good deals. If you want something, and can stand to wait a few weeks, set up an alert on your item's keywords and monitor auctions as they appear.

The Chinese swap meet that EBay has become is just as sad as what's happened to Amazon. A lot of low quality, slow-shipping items. But admittedly cheap. I preferred it decades ago when all sellers were individuals with low numbers of items.

What I really love EBay for is selling broken technology. I have sold many dead cameras and computer items listed explicitly as dead, and buyers have purchased and been happy with. I am pleased to get some value out of the items, and to keep any part of the dead-to-me items out of a landfill.

I've shopped for an old used smartphone but I was disappointed that the OS versions usually aren't listed. I looked at a list of OS version history to see which I'd settle for and I thought I was prepared to make a smart choice but it's harder than that. I don't need a new phone that badly yet so I'm putting it off.

Battery safety is important to me too but I don't know how to tell which take advantage of the latest safety features. I heard a while back that something new was learned about making batteries but I don't know how to check for whatever that was.

They've been rolling out the payment change in waves. My account got switched over a month or two ago.

Yes, I remember the check days as I've been selling on ebay since 1997.

The new system is great. No checks. No Paypal. No third party involved. The payment is processed directly through ebay and they send you your money right after the transaction closes.

If PayPal and cheques are not used anymore then how does one pay for purchase?

I hope my account never gets updated.

A 2-burner induction cooktop, to use during kitchen renovation.

If PayPal and cheques are not used anymore then how does one pay for purchase?
Honestly, I've only been on the seller end so I'm not quite sure. I'm assuming they have some sort of online payment portal.

I do as well. But I choose PayPal.
Ah, so buyers can still go through Paypal but sellers aren't involved with Paypal at all. Interesting. All payments to sellers now come directly from ebay (for those whose accounts have been transitioned).

I generally just buy from eBay. Too lazy to mess with Amazon. I have bought several used things there and find the sellers to be very honest about condition. Generally its just golf equipment I buy used though...Used clothes? The thought doesnt appeal to me at all....

I recently bought a beautiful and interesting vintage demitasse spoon with a cool Egyptian scarab design... because life’s too short to stir my coffee with a boring teaspoon. ;)

Attachments

• 2536FAE4-072C-4D55-976A-0BCE0C06877A.jpeg
    2536FAE4-072C-4D55-976A-0BCE0C06877A.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 23
Banned permanently

I bought and sold personal items for 25 years with 100% perfect feedback. On the day they sent me a $25 coupon for being one of the early ebay members, they sent me a notice that my account had been permanently banned. I thought it was a fishing email at first. But it wasn’t. They never gave a reason. We think it was over my last purchase which was a pack of Kirkland Sleep aid tablets for $9.99. Ebay sent me a notice that they noticed fraudulent activity on the sellers account and so had pulled the listing from my recent purchase. Based on their statement I asked my credit card to not pay. But ebay never gives a reason, ar second chances. It’s been over a year now and I think their ban has probably saved me money. Ebay is now just a crummy Amazon with a lot more risk. Maybe the Universe thought I needed an intervention? I probably do have more than enough Stuff. Good riddance to ebay.

My most recent used purchase on eBay was a Dell E64xx series laptop. Came with 8GB RAM and Windows 10. Less than $150 delivered. Processor is dual core with 2 threads per core, so more than comparable to the $400 "entry level" laptops in performance. USB 3. HDMI video output.

I've become an author in my old age and I write using Dell D620 pr D630 laptops - I like the screen (tall enough for more than one paragraph of text) and the keyboard. The 4GB RAM limit doesn't matter as I run XP on the writing computers because I've written a number of utilities for that and I choose not to repeat that work for Win 10.

Love this thread, my recent purchase was my high school yearbook from 1982, in perfect condition, with no marks. I think it was $20. A perfect transaction. A good friend just bought $45,000 worth of primarily Corvette and other Chevrolet parts from a guy who had a large warehouse. My friend’s only source of income is selling those parts on eBay. Yesterday he had a good day and sold $4000 worth of parts. He estimates he’ll gross over $500,000 on his $45,000 purchase. At 55 years old, he’s got a long way to go for FIRE. Me? End of next month...

Back
Top Bottom