Veteran CNBC anchor Mark Haines dead at 65

Mark Haines was my favorite CNBC anchor man. I watched his show almost every morning. What makes it more personal is that he was my age (actually, he was a few months younger) and his long-time partner, Erin Burnett, is the same age as my daughter.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. When Erin recently left the show it seemed to crush him. Really sad.

Too bad. His family was probably financially okay without the SS up til now.

Sad...you really don't know when. So unexpected.

That's why when people ask "Why retire early?" I say "Why not?" if you can

He was one of the financial talking heads actually worth listening to. RIP Mark, I always enjoyed listening to your perspectives.

Very sad, I really enjoy watching him every morning at 9am. I also liked Erin and now they are both gone from the show.

Thanks so much for posting the link to the "Teary Goodbye" piece----that was precious!

9/11: I dropped my late wife off for chemo...went home...turned on CNBC..just as the first plane hit........Mark's presence and commentary were superb.

I seldom ever watched Mark Haines, I'd tune in early and be doing something else by the time he came on. I had no idea he was such an icon at CNBC. I heard at 1 pm and was shocked. I watched the special last night during the Kudlow time slot and was surprised at how much Mark did in those early years. RIP.

All speculation, but with this much interest (Google Mark Haines Cause of Death) it will come out soon. To me it seems very unlikely that some unremarkable sort of sudden death like MI or stroke was found. Every rock star, movie actor, TV small or large presence the cause of death eventually comes out, and it will in Mark's case too.

Has it been mentioned that he got a post? If not, why not, since an apparently health man died at home without any call to 911 or trip to the hospital?

Was he alone? Was his wife or some other person present? Does he have a housekeeper?

As far as does it matter, what is modern media saturated life other than guiltfree voyeurism?

Ha

Enjoyed watching Mark myself, very unfortunate. It is very unusual that the cause or "reported cause" of death was not mentioned in articles. Even though he was a public person, he might have been a private person. The answer could be simply his wishes were to never release anything because he felt his health to be a private issue.

Some of the CNBC financial commentators on Wednesday morning said that Haines in fact had health issues that he mostly kept mum about, including a back problem--that being one reason he seldom came down to the trading floor to hang with his pals like he used to do in older days. But still...

Being a public person, I think the public has some right to know, if nothing more than a courtesy. Did he have a heart attack, blow his brains out, die in the saddle, I would like to know. I like and respected the guy and would like to know how he died.

Back
Top Bottom