water for coffee maker

One of my jobs when I was in charge of coffee quality for Starbucks "back in the day" (a few thousand stores ago) was choosing the parameters for in-store water filtration systems.

On our home turf in the Pacific Northwest simple sediment filters followed by carbon were fine since the water in Western Washington and Oregon is quite soft and good. But by the time we opened stores in SoCal we had to use a softener followed by RO followed by a mineral feeder to get the water from glow-in-the-dark to drinkable.

Downsizing for home: you need to either put in a small RO system (and carefully consider both the initial cost and changing out filters) or buy bottled water for your coffee. If you're happy to drink your hard water (I don't mind it myself) and just use the bottled for coffee and tea you could just buy 1 gallon jugs and refill them at a Glacier or other water machine. Such machines use sediment/carbon/RO and UV to deliver fairly pure water with some mineral content remaining that's ideal for your purposes and at ~25 cents a gallon you can use them frequently and still come out way ahead cost-wise vs. a filtration system.

One of my jobs when I was in charge of coffee quality for Starbucks "back in the day" (a few thousand stores ago) was choosing the parameters for in-store water filtration systems.

On our home turf in the Pacific Northwest simple sediment filters followed by carbon were fine since the water in Western Washington and Oregon is quite soft and good. But by the time we opened stores in SoCal we had to use a softener followed by RO followed by a mineral feeder to get the water from glow-in-the-dark to drinkable.

Really interesting. A cup of coffee is what - 90% water? I always wondered how Starbucks got such a consistent taste across the country and figured they must spend a lot of time on water filtration. Thanks for that kevink.

We have so many water filters!

A whole house sediment plus carbon filter.
A water purification filter for drinking water - General Ecology Seagull IV
And we still put that through a Brita filter for coffee and drinking water! Why? - well the end result tastes very good!

We actually haven’t had to descale anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom