Weird things people eat around the world

Click on the photo of tony bourdain to get a funny video regarding durian fruit...

My first introduction to durian was Anthony Bourdain in SE Asia trying to taste it and talking about how hotels would disallow it because the smell permeates everything and it can smell like sewer gases are leaking into the hotel.

Great show...both his original Cooks Tour and No Reservations.

For those who have missed it, Tony travels the world, eating both interesting and disgusting food products while offering a touristy perspective of the local culture.

Best of all was the iguana tamales in mexico. Seems they were burned on a grill, cut up...but still with some of the bone and burned skin on the meat, then made into tamales and cooked until almost done. :p

On tasting it...
“Unbelievably horrible. I just want to die.. I mean really bad. I want to dip my head into a bucket of lye, you know, pull my eyes out of their sockets and jump off a cliff.”

Oh....iguana tamales.....when folks wanted to have you for a special meal in the little village where we lived in in Mexico, they always had iguana tamales....just thinking about them makes me homesick. Another favorite way for iguana was to roast it on a spit until it swelled up like a football with really crisp skin.

Another thing from the village where we lived.....we had an invasion of grasshoppers. Early in the morning, everybody in the village could be seen with a brown paper bag gathering up grasshoppers when the early morning dampness made them a little slower and they could catch them easier.

They kept them in the paper bag, closed up, for 24 hours, until they had excreted everything they had eaten, then they fried up a big bunch of garlic and sauteed the grasshoppers until crispy and garlicky. At first, we said...EWWWW......then we tried a few.....and the next morning at 7 a.m. we were out with our own paper bags.......those grasshoppers were GOOD, and an excellent source of protein.....

LooseChickens

Just as long as you dont go putting any mayo on them...

Funny, we used to do the same thing with steamer clams in new england...put them in salt water with some cornmeal to eat. They'd 'lose' all the sand, nasty stuff and whatnot and eat a bunch of the cornmeal, making them plump and sweet.

Mmmm... chapulines. Those fried grasshoppers are pretty tasty. Most flavorful bug I've ever eaten in Mexico.

Edit: Just found this picture: Image:Chapulines.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I may have eaten the grasshoppers served at this exact same stand in the market in Tepoztlan!

I've been to Mexico several times but never get a chance to try these. Sounds like a seasonal thing.

Anyway, the equivalence in SE Asia would be crickets stuffed with peanut. Cicadas too. All delicious.

Mmmmm - I had a turtle burger in Grand Cayman once. It was pretty good.

I've been to Mexico several times but never get a chance to try these. Sounds like a seasonal thing.

Anyway, the equivalence in SE Asia would be crickets stuffed with peanut. Cicadas too. All delicious.

I think the grasshoppers are a regional thing, maybe even specific to certain towns/villages. The indigenous folks are the main consumers apparently. The only place I recall seeing them was Tepoztlan in Morelos State (outside of Cuernavaca) and in a Mexico City open-air market (la Merced or something?). The flavor is like shell-on shrimp, with a little extra crunch.

My wife was a kid she used to eat termites and grasshoppers all the time. Toss em in the frying pan and it was good eats. They would go out in the hills and catch a bunch of them, then bring them back and cook em. Of course that was back when they were starving refugees and had little else to eat besides a small serving of rice. They are definitely a good source of protein!

Last edited:

What weird things do we eat here in the US? Besides Spam...

Potted meat. Look at the ingredients sometime and tell me who eats this stuff. (It's in the supermarket near the "Vienna Sausages" --I think the Austrians are going to sue someone for attributing that "food' to their nation).

And squid jerky.

I love that. Goes especially well with beer or sake.

How about any of the assortment of shrimp flavored crackers and cookies (those are actually pretty tasty!)?

Yes, pretty addictive.

By the way, Ladelfina, corn dogs are regular fixtures at convenience stores in Japan.

What weird things do we eat here in the US? Besides Spam...

Potted meat. Look at the ingredients sometime and tell me who eats this stuff. (It's in the supermarket near the "Vienna Sausages" -- and speaking of those: I think the Austrians are going to sue someone for attributing that "food' to their nation).

Our kid covers just about any fruit slice with li hing mui powder-- yecch. Plum, licorice, salt, sugar, & food coloring. It's part of her "please send this stuff to me when I'm on the Mainland" list.

But it's probably better than crack seed...

She can probably get pretty close by just mixing 9 parts alum with 1 part sugar... I find li hing mui not bad, but a little goes a long, long way.

But now you got me jonesing for some poi. Or lau lau pork. Big plate lunch with two scoops rice and a mound of macaroni salad. Zippy's saimin. Anything...

That's a great picture.....and those ARE grasshoppers...unfortunately they are identified as "crickets" in the Wikipedia image.......

They really are seasonal, and only available during "grasshopper season".....but when the grasshoppers appear, everybody chases grasshoppers, because they are SO good.....crunchy, garlicky, and as addictive as peanuts.....

At another time of the year, tiny little sardine type fish would appear in the little bay, I forget what they were called, and everybody would swim out with nets and stand on the little boats that were moored in the bay and cast out nets and catch them. They fixed them the same was as the grasshoppers, and they were really good as well. I've tried to think all day of what they called them, but the name just escapes me.

LooseChickens

Ok, I am pretty much game for trying anything. Most things mentioned on this thread, I have tried or would try. The bugs are a bit scary, but if I saw others enthusiastically eating them, I would dig in also.

One thing I saw in Beijing was grilled scorpions and silk worms on a stick. It was the absolute 1st stop before dinner on the 1st day of the tour. I did not want to chance being sick for the next 7 days, so I declined (I think the most expensive thing along the street vendors that day was about $1.50 US). I have promised myself to get in line next time I get a chance at those....

So, what would I NOT eat? Did you see the Anthony Bourdain segment, I think it was in Ghana, where they killed a wild boar. Butchered it and because water is lacking, they do not wash any of the parts before throwing the pieces of meat on the fire. One part or the hog, that he was told was a sought after delicacy was the uh ... no way to put this gently, ... rectum and connecting tissue ... they sorta squeezed the uh ... contents out as best they could and threw it on top of the fire. Tony B. mentioned that he thought that piece would at least be best well done, but they cooked it 'al dente'. I give Mr. Bourdain a lot of credit... he ate it, not because he was curious, or anything, but because the people he was with were honoring him with the delicacy and they worked hard putting meat on 'table'. He ate it
.... I am [-]almost[/-] 100% positive I would have passed on this.

But now you got me jonesing for some poi. Or lau lau pork. Big plate lunch with two scoops rice and a mound of macaroni salad. Zippy's saimin. Anything...
Give these guys your credit card and tell 'em that FedEx flies west as well as east: Zippy's Online : Online Ordering

Ironically the mailing address for the website is about a block from my tae kwon do dojang, so it really is just as easy for them to ship to Japan as it would be to ship to Maine or Miami...

Give these guys your credit card and tell 'em that FedEx flies west as well as east: Zippy's Online : Online Ordering

Ironically the mailing address for the website is about a block from my tae kwon do dojang, so it really is just as easy for them to ship to Japan as it would be to ship to Maine or Miami...

"Unfortunately, we are unable to ship frozen foods outside of the United States. "

Sigh. <rumble>

"Unfortunately, we are unable to ship frozen foods outside of the United States. "
Pathetic, isn't it?

When you consider the number of AJAs living here (35-40% of the census?) and the number of Japanese visitors who "discover" Zippys, there's a lot of potential revenue on your islands.

I'll bet plenty of frozen yummies come to Hawaii from Japan. I suspect the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau could fix this up with the Japanese consulate in a heartbeat.

Maybe Eddie Flores should open an L&L in Tokyo. With an ABC store on the corner...

Corn dogs in Japan.. interesting! I remember seeing fish hot dogs in an Asian supermarket as well; didn't sample them. The Japanese seem to be front-runners in terms of food 'engineering'. The packaging and food form factors are wild!

"Weirdest" things I have eaten:
Pajata: baby cow or lamb's intestines while they are still full of 1/2-digested milk (before they have started eating hay/grass/solid food). Kinda like a ricotta sausage... cut 'em up and make a tomato sauce and serve over rigatoni.

Sanguinaccio: a kind of chocolate blood pudding traditionally made with pig's blood and eaten with bread or cookies. I actually had a cake-y version that tasted kinda like poorly-made brownies but w/raisins instead of nuts. A little funky but not terrible; you could taste the iron.

Anecdotally, in Sardinia there is a wormy cheese. I have managed to avoid this.

There is the custom in Molise, as in other parts of Italy such as Sardinia, to allow small flies to lay their eggs in cracks in the cheese. These eggs hatch into maggots, which eat and transform the cheese into something even more pungent. The cheese is then called “case’ d quagl”, and it is eaten worms and all, a delicacy for those who can stomach it. I was lucky enough to try some of Mario and Carmella’s cheese that had been infested by the worms. “Oh how fortunate you are,” Mario said to me and his young son Pietro, who also had a wormy piece.

I have accompanied Mario to one of the markets where he sells their cheeses. Elderly men chatting nearby were at first wary of the higher-than-average price Mario charges. They made snide remarks to Mario about the cost of his cheese, but one by one he was able to convince each of them to taste a sample of the cheese. Their expressions changed. “Ah,” one said, “this is like the cheese I used to eat when I was a child.” Then another asked Mario if he had any with worms. “No,” Mario said, “I save that for myself.” Each man walked away with large rounds of cheese, to take home and surprise his wife.
Daniel Gritzer » Blog Archive » It’s All About the Cheese

I would have a hard time with bugs; I would really have to be starving.

More on the worm cheese:
Apocalypse Fiction Magazine -- Issue Five -- January, 2002

Although elsewhere I saw an Italian saying that you were to eat the cheese once the maggots had abandoned it.. and that offering the worm-ful version was a joke to pull on tourists or the unsuspecting. I don't know what the real story is, and I don't think I want to.

Last edited:
CFB,

The item on the site: Giant Water Bugs.

I am wondering... what the heck are the conversation's going on it the consumers' mind?

Mmmmm, Just like mom used to make. :p

"Weirdest" things I have eaten:
Pajata: baby cow or lamb's intestines while they are still full of 1/2-digested milk (before they have started eating hay/grass/solid food). Kinda like a ricotta sausage... cut 'em up and make a tomato sauce and serve over rigatoni.

Fried intestines are reasonably common in Japan, called "horomon." You can get them at any yakiniku place. No particular flavor to them, you just fry them up nice and crispy. But no milk or other contents inside.

I think I would pass on the maggot cheese until after at least the first glass of wine.

Had some barbecued mamushi (Japanese viper) once. It actually did taste rather like chicken.

Also had some whale sperm that was getting passed around at a party once. Did not taste like chicken. Not bad, actually. Squid "miso" (fermented squid guts) is also pretty good -- somewhat similar to Sam's fish paste.

Back
Top Bottom