What do you tell others when you retire early (under 40)?

I plan to say that I've left work having developed a severe ocular gluteal incongruity. Just can't see my a** at work anymore.

I think the poster raises an excellent point. I have been contemplating the same question. I am in my early 40s with 2.5 years until I retire. Having always been financially successful I have felt the jealousy for many years even though we live way below our means. I cannot imagine how many of those same people will react when they learn I have retired by 45.

I am thinking I will tell them that I am "transitioning away from ______ to do ________". Thats all they really need to know, whether its true or not. I think it can be dangerous to let others know you are FI. . .

I don't understand what the big fuss is about with the word "retired". Myself, I can't wait to be able to say I'm retired, and won't care what people think when they hear me say it. Of course, I'm in my late 40's, not 30's, so it won't have quite as big an impact, but still...

In fact, one of the first things I plan to do the day after I walk out the door is update my LinkedIn, and change my title to "Retired" and delete all those connections with people I'll never see nor communicate with again.

"Sabbatical" implies I might go back to work again, which isn't true. I'll be "Retired" and damn proud of it.

What I find more interesting than the actual responses is the underlying philosophies. Seems some folks want to slam the work door shut and nail it closed, while others are more ambivalent; willing, perhaps, to consider an amazing opportunity at any point and also perhaps having a broader definition of "work". I definitely fall into the latter camp while DW falls into the former.

An interesting discussion ... and the old threads are great too.

I may not be fully qualified to comment as I haven't yet RE'd ... but I hadn't given it a lot of thought until I started mentioning to one of my more friendly work colleagues that I was thinking about getting out in the next year or two ... maybe sooner. Then I quickly realized I will need a suitable answer for people at the office since in my role/level/profession (NEO of public co) just about no-one leaves voluntarily - they keep cashing the paychecks and stock comp and some are too bound by the golden handcuffs to go away -- unless and until the Board/CEO asks them to go, their health fails and forces them out or their megacorp is sold to another (and the new owners don't need two of any senior people around).

I am leaning toward the sabbatical or semi-ER answer for the short term. That one is accurate and there is of course enough stress in these jobs to justify it. It also takes health off the table so people don't get concerned. It's also more palatable to most than 'retired' and all of its rocking chair unwarranted connotations.

I am semi retired...have been since 35...going on 5 yrs now :) I tell people the truth, that I could not stand the corporate life and wanted something different. Some try to suggest jobs for me...kind of funny and cute! You don't have to explain it to people if you don't want to :)

Back
Top Bottom