What is the most difficult position in sports?

48Fire

Full time employment: Posting here.
So this morning, dreaming of soon to be ER, I think I will have time to wonder about more things, debate them endlessly, and fritter away the hours that make up a dull day :):)

I am seeing the struggles of Mark Sanchez, and his 26 turnovers in each of the last two years. I am thinking I would likely turn the ball over nearly every time I touched it either from fear, can't throw long, can't throw accurately, can't run faster than anyone on the field. That may be the most difficult position in sports in my mind. When you watch on TV, you see the birds eye view, and you can see guys who are open, etc. On the field, you see big guys, hear them coming at you, and can't really see very well. Plus, you have to be on the move during all of this. I don't think I could even complete a screen pass.

Any others?

Ice hockey goaltender, especially in overtime or shootouts. You alone are the only thing standing between victory or defeat for your entire team. One softie and you let down the whole team.

Agree on hockey goalie. I played amateur/recreational level goal for over 45 years. (finally gave it up at age 55 because I just couldn't get up anymore after going down! got embarrassing.)

Players make all kinds of mistakes and it doesn't show. Goalie makes one mistake and you're the goat! Plus, there's so many morons that just want to 'intimidate' you.

Javelin catcher... :D

Slot receiver: a good one has to be a body-sacrificing maniac to catch quick passes over the middle, knowing you are about to get leveled.

Agree on hockey goalie. I played amateur/recreational level goal for over 45 years. (finally gave it up at age 55 because I just couldn't get up anymore after going down! got embarrassing.)

Wow! That's awesome. I have long given up sports like that. Only golfing now. Even Thanksgiving Day football is risky for the knees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mentally speaking, making a 15 foot birdie putt to win a tournament would be very challenging with all the spectators watching. Or if you are a tour player who is broke, making the 15 footer on Friday to make the cut so you can get paid something on Sunday would be very nerve wracking too.

Being a knuckleball MLB pitcher

I would say baseball catcher (even if the pitcher is not throwing knuckleballs). He has the physical wear and tear on his body, especially knees and back, gets hit with foul balls, gets run over by runners, and has all the hazards of being on offense such as baserunning and getting hit with pitches. And he has a mentally demanding job, handling the pitchers and basically being an on-the-field "manager" of sorts.

I'd have to say official, regardless of sport. It's a no win situation -- at best you are ignored, at worst you are fleeing from a hostile crowd.

At least the losing players get *some* respect.

I would say baseball catcher (even if the pitcher is not throwing knuckleballs). He has the physical wear and tear on his body, especially knees and back, gets hit with foul balls, gets run over by runners, and has all the hazards of being on offense such as baserunning and getting hit with pitches. And he has a mentally demanding job, handling the pitchers and basically being an on-the-field "manager" of sorts.

Only exceeded by home plate umpire. At least the catcher gets some time to rest on the bench.

Good point. I was considering some summer income after ER doing some umpiring, but not sure if I can take the punishment. Maybe I can just work the bases.

Gotta be the spectator.

Seems all spectators know exactly what is being done wrong, and how it should have been done.

Been to any sports bar lately?

Back
Top Bottom