What is this artifact?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Since we have experts of every possible description here, I wonder if someone can positively identify this object for me.

It's a stone (something), over seven inches long, that has obviously been fashioned by someone into its present shape.

When DW was a girl, she walked through the fields after her father had plowed each year and picked up arrowheads and other assorted stone artifacts. They were very numerous in the area, and she has quite a collection. This particular object has always intrigued me, and our best guess is that it was the head of a war club that could be fastened onto a handle. But the fact that one side is flattened has always bothered me and I wonder if it may have had another use.

If it helps any, this was found in southwestern Ohio.

Three photos: top, side, bottom:
top.jpg

side.jpg

bottom.jpg

My initial guess...possibly a hammer head from Indian times...which was laced onto a stick.

omni

I agree, stone axe head. Search for prehistoric stone axe.

I have one of these, given to my grandfather years ago. He found it by a creek. Local lore was that there was a indian battle in that general area(central missouri). Questionable how accurate the lore can be.
I would be very curious to hear what you find out.

Looks like a native tool. Are you on Reddit? The r/whatisthisthing sub could add more detail.

I did a general search, this does look like a stone axe head. War clubs did use stone heads, however they were much smaller.
Axes like this are offered for $ 600, dont know if they get that as a final price. So much for local lore!

Very cool artifact. It does look like a stone ax head. Some of the pictures I looked at the stone has a flat side. Funny most of the pictures were of stones from Indiana.

Southwestern Ohio has a rich history of native presence, so the above ideas are very plausible.

Serpent Mound is in this general area and is a fascinating puzzle of pre-european history.

Native American hammer head. They used these for many different purposes but mostly as maul/hammer. Here is one I got.

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom