What is your "goto" junk food?

Luckily we only watch televised sports during the second half of NFL season (first several weeks games arent’ that good), but we do go a little crazy. Staples during that time that we pretty much never eat otherwise are:
- Ruffles with French Onion dip
- Chile con queso dip with turkey sausage added, eaten with Tostitos as the delivery system
- Chile cheese Fritos
- Boneless lemon pepper and garlic Parmesan wings from the Wing Stop
- Pizza
- Chicken tamales from Trader Joe’s with TJ’s enchilada sauce, lots of cheese, sour cream and jalapeños
- Homemade chicken nachos with sour cream and jalapeños
- Beer

None of the above are consumed the rest of the year. We’ve tried to substitute carrots and celery, nuts, salads, chicken or turkey sausage slices, etc., but keep going back to the preferred items.

Great thread!!! Keep those tips coming in!!! So many actionable options in one place!!!

Bark thins... very yummy. I like the pretzel ones the best but really, all the flavors are delicious.

Salty: Ruffles Baked Potato Skins potato chips

Sweet: Costco's Chocolate Covered Raisins (when they're fat). Right now, during the heat/drought, they remind me a little too much of rabbit droppings. ;)

To those who think of pizza as junk food.......

Wait one minute! :D

If you mean the greasy, over cheesed, badly sauced pizzas from the delivery places, and the factory machine made pizzas in the frozen food section of the supermarket, I agree. I never knew that a mushroom could be sliced that thinly. :eek:

But, please, don't include the homemade pizzas made by many of us here. We use whole grain flours, raise the dough overnight to develop maximum crust flavor, home made pizza sauce with our own choice of seasonings, an assortment of excellent toppings, and just enough cheese to give it a good flavor but not turn it into a gooey mess. :)

Last edited:
Pizza is not junk food, it's full of nutrition! Lots of protein, vitamins and minerals. This is health food for the discerning palate. And when accompanied by a cold brew (second order vegetable) it's an ideal evening meal. :)

I just looked up pizza on MyFitnessPal dot com. One slice of Dominos' meat lovers pizza is 320 calories. It has 28 grams of carbs and 17 grams of fat, but only 14 grams of protein (despite the "meat lovers" name). With 900 mg of sodium, I'd say that for me it is junk food. :D

As for home made: One slice of home made pepperoni pizza is 450 calories. It has 20 grams of carbs, 18 grams of fat, and only 11 grams of protein. The sodium is just 406 mg. Still, 450 calories for just one slice? With my overweight problem, that is a lot.

I still love pizza - - I just don't EAT it.

Agree that mass merchandise pizza is toxic, while also possessing a disgusting taste.

We are similar to Chuckanut. But we by fresh whole grain dough. We limit the cheese and make our own sauce (this time of year we use our garden tomatoes). :smitten: We stick with veggie toppings, except we might add Italian meats from our local Italian deli. We end up with a healthy meal with moderate calories, minimal sodium, and lots of fiber. In other words, health food. :)

I see where you get the dip, but when I go to Hy-Vee Aisles Online, the chips show up in search, but not in the results that appear below, so they can't be ordered. Where do you get those? Always looking for the perfect chip. :) :popcorn:

Homemade dip: sour cream, onion soup mix and chopped clams.
Dip in anything salty: pretzel, chip, Frito, cracker, finger:D

I see where you get the dip, but when I go to Hy-Vee Aisles Online, the chips show up in search, but not in the results that appear below, so they can't be ordered. Where do you get those? Always looking for the perfect chip. :) :popcorn:

Get both at my local Hy-Vee store in south central Minnesota. No time to research now, but O.D. may only be available in the upper-midwest ?

Back
Top Bottom