What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Wow, this is a great pickup technique. I'm gonna quit bar hopping and buy a red shirt to patrol Target.

:LOL: These type of things only seemed to happen to me *after* I was in a committed relationship with DW. Though she thinks I was just too shy and naive before we started dating to notice :).

Take along a shill to berate you in front of prospective dates, while you calmly smile.

Reminds of the "pickup" technique where the "wingman" goes and chats up a woman, but then gets slightly rude and obnoxious with her, and the "pilot" comes over to the rescue :).

A friend of mine told me that she ordered a burger at a McDonald drive-through, and the order took longer than usual. And she found there was no burger in the burger! She said she already got on a freeway by the time she started eating the burger, so she didn't go back.
Had a filet o fish sandwich from there a while back that had only about a one inch pat of tartar sauce and they forgot the cheese...WTH...you want more pay why:confused:?

I use to treat myself to lunch when I have to drive into work...Del Taco fish taco combo was 6.99 pre Covid has jumped up to 8.99 now. For that price it's even less appetizing... especially when they screw it up...

Like OTA TV (with commercials), it depends on what you mean by "free." You pay with cash or you pay by being subjected to commercials which the sponsor hopes will be profitable.

Or one of those "free" meals where you are subjected to an annuity salesperson's pitches.

And don't get me started on all the pop up ads on Internet sites.

Unless the performer and the venue are providing their services gratis, one way or the other, someones gonna pay! :(

I do agree with you that a TV monitor running ads in close proximity to the performer does seem a bit over the top. What ever happened to just having some printed ads in the program?

They've had these free concerts for years now, and this is the first time I have seen them turn on the bigscreen TV ads during the concerts. They used to just have an announcer pop up on the stage before the first show and say "I'd like to thank our sponsors X, Y and Z", and then a lot of blurbs for the local vendors, volunteers, etc. This intro lasted about up to 5 minutes sometimes, but that didn't bother me at all, because you knew you could then just relax into an hour or two of talented performers, without a bright glaring TV screen next to them.

Last edited:
I was approached by a lady in a grocery store who rudely asked me about a certain &$^%$!! item. I told her politely that I did not work there. She replied "You look like somebody who does." Her tone clearly indicated it was an insult. Later I had what the French call L'esprit de l'escalier - thinking of the perfect reply too late.

This is for all the people that are confused as working at a store...

The way I dress nobody will ever confuse me as being an employee :LOL:

Nobody's had a pet peeve since early September? I'm happy to complain:

When one fellow tenant fills up ALL of the washers with their laundry. Couldn't leave just one for other people?

Early dawn and people walking or running with their backs to the traffic with dark clothes, no light, no reflective clothes and no clue what is coming up behind them. People riding bicycles facing traffic with dark clothes, no reflective clothes, no head light, no tail light, no mirror, and blowing through stop signs.

At least when the sun comes up they can be seen unless the car driver is texting or otherwise distracted.

Cheers!

I was in the checkout line at the market, and there was a lady in front of me.
Instead of moving forward she just stopped and plugged up the lane so I could not move my cart forward.
I suspect she is related to the people who go up an escalator and stop dead at the top.

I was in the checkout line at the market, and there was a lady in front of me.
Instead of moving forward she just stopped and plugged up the lane so I could not move my cart forward.
I suspect she is related to the people who go up an escalator and stop dead at the top.

See bold. That would be DW, only at the bottom. Her mom gave her a fear of escalators at a very young age, and it lasts til this day. More than once I have walked into her getting on because she just froze at the bottom.

I'm sure mentioned already, probably repeatedly. People who don't know what the turn indicators on vehicles are for. "What is this stick on the side of the steering column I wonder?" With all of the voice recognition in cars these days maybe if people could just say 'right turn', 'left turn', 'lane change left', or the turn indicators could be linked to the GPS unit so at least we'd get signals when that is being use for map directions. I'm always just left muttering to myself, 'if only there were some way that people could indicate which way they were going to go'.

I'm sure mentioned already, probably repeatedly. People who don't know what the turn indicators on vehicles are for. "What is this stick on the side of the steering column I wonder?" With all of the voice recognition in cars these days maybe if people could just say 'right turn', 'left turn', 'lane change left', or the turn indicators could be linked to the GPS unit so at least we'd get signals when that is being use for map directions. I'm always just left muttering to myself, 'if only there were some way that people could indicate which way they were going to go'.

Some people are apparently unaware that there are other drivers on the road with them, and that if we all communicate well and work cooperatively with each other, we can all be safer. Of course, some people take that approach to life in general.

Of course, same as it's ever been. People are concerned with themselves, their families, their friends and their pets.

Everyone else comes next.

Early dawn and people walking or running with their backs to the traffic with dark clothes, no light, no reflective clothes and no clue what is coming up behind them. People riding bicycles facing traffic with dark clothes, no reflective clothes, no head light, no tail light, no mirror, and blowing through stop signs.
It drives me nuts when people run with traffic, because if I'm also out running I'll be going against traffic so I can better see cars coming and jump out of the way if I have to. When we meet one of us has to move into traffic more. I'm the one who can see traffic so it's safer if I do it, but I don't like that I have to put myself in more danger because the other runner is doing it wrong.

Agree on the clothes too. A friend of mine complained about a car running him off the road in my area once. It was dusk, and he pretty much always wears gray.

On a long trip for a couple days and there are numerous people who inadvertently bump that "stick" on the side of the wheel. Easy to spot them because they are the ones where the blinking light only turns on as they enter their turn.
It's to signal your intention to turn! We already know you're turning so why not put the blinker on earlier?

It drives me nuts when people run with traffic, because if I'm also out running I'll be going against traffic so I can better see cars coming and jump out of the way if I have to. When we meet one of us has to move into traffic more. I'm the one who can see traffic so it's safer if I do it, but I don't like that I have to put myself in more danger because the other runner is doing it wrong.

Agree on the clothes too. A friend of mine complained about a car running him off the road in my area once. It was dusk, and he pretty much always wears gray.
Running/walking against the flow of traffic and riding a bike with traffic is the law for a reason. All these people who don't cooperate are putting other lives at risk. When someone does anything that puts me in jeopardy I am not too concerned about their safety. They are responsible for their own bad choices.

Cheers!

In my first decade of w*rk I moved all over, from one nuclear plant or utility office to the next. Invariably, someone would advise me to be careful when driving because people don't use their turn signals around here. :LOL:

The people on bikes with no flashing lights or reflectors at dusk and night amaze me for all the wrong reasons. I have flashing red light on the rear of my bike and I use it even in daylight.

Our new neighbor has a dog that barks all freaking day. If we have our windows open at night it wakes me up in the morning. If I go out in the yard, the stupid thing barks every time I make a sound.

I finally reached my limit with the barking dog and, despite my fears, I sent an email to our new neighbors. Welcome to the neighborhood, hope you're enjoying your new home, congratulations on the new baby, and by the way, your dog barks all the time. :) To my surprise they took it much better than I was expecting. They have been making an effort to control the barking and keep the dog indoors more. I still hear it on occasion but as long as it's not constant it doesn't really bother me. Also, heading into fall and winter we're outside less and have the windows closed so that helps too.

Ironically, we've been sending several emails back and forth since then, getting to know each other better and chatting about the history of the area. Who knew... :)

That could have gone a lot differently.

Back
Top Bottom