What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I finally reached my limit with the barking dog and, despite my fears, I sent an email to our new neighbors. Welcome to the neighborhood, hope you're enjoying your new home, congratulations on the new baby, and by the way, your dog barks all the time. :) To my surprise they took it much better than I was expecting. They have been making an effort to control the barking and keep the dog indoors more. I still hear it on occasion but as long as it's not constant it doesn't really bother me. Also, heading into fall and winter we're outside less and have the windows closed so that helps too.

Ironically, we've been sending several emails back and forth since then, getting to know each other better and chatting about the history of the area. Who knew... :)

That could have gone a lot differently.

Nice to hear the dog issue is being worked on. My daughter had a similar issue in her suburban neighborhood and it was difficult to resolve, but it finally was resolved with the neighbor moving!. Have you met your new neighbors in person yet? (just curious since you mentioned email contact)

What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

A couple of weeks ago we got coupons in the mail for our local Hardee's™ fast food joint. So this past Friday we clipped the coupons, drove to the restaurant and were greeted by one car in the lot and a sign on the drive-thru speaker box which stated: "Due to staffing issues we will be closed for the remainder of the day." So we ended up going to the grocery store deli and getting take-out to eat at home.
So Saturday at 1pm we figured we'd try again, since we still had the coupons clipped. This time there were three cars in the lot but the same sign was on the speaker box. Then we drove a mile or so down the street to Wendy's™. They had a sign on their drive-through stating: "Due to staffing difficulties we will close at 1pm today. We will re-open for dinner at 4pm."
The only other fast-food burger joints in town, McDonalds™ and Culver's™ were open but both had drive-through lines with at least 20 cars in them.
We ended up getting a Little Caesar's™ regular pepperoni pizza and bringing it home. :banghead:
Before this gets political and subsequently banned, I'd just like to say that my pet peeve of 2021 is that apparently nobody wants to work in fast food anymore.:confused:

A couple of weeks ago we got coupons in the mail for our local Hardee's™ fast food joint. So this past Friday we clipped the coupons, drove to the restaurant and were greeted by one car in the lot and a sign on the drive-thru speaker box which stated: "Due to staffing issues we will be closed for the remainder of the day." So we ended up going to the grocery store deli and getting take-out to eat at home.
So Saturday at 1pm we figured we'd try again, since we still had the coupons clipped. This time there were three cars in the lot but the same sign was on the speaker box. Then we drove a mile or so down the street to Wendy's™. They had a sign on their drive-through stating: "Due to staffing difficulties we will close at 1pm today. We will re-open for dinner at 4pm."
The only other fast-food burger joints in town, McDonalds™ and Culver's™ were open but both had drive-through lines with at least 20 cars in them.
We ended up getting a Little Caesar's™ regular pepperoni pizza and bringing it home. :banghead:
Before this gets political and subsequently banned, I'd just like to say that my pet peeve of 2021 is that apparently nobody wants to work in fast food anymore.:confused:

I don't blame them. My very first paycheck job was at a fast food place in 1975. It sucked and I quit after about 4 months.

Nice to hear the dog issue is being worked on. My daughter had a similar issue in her suburban neighborhood and it was difficult to resolve, but it finally was resolved with the neighbor moving!. Have you met your new neighbors in person yet? (just curious since you mentioned email contact)

No I haven't met the neighbors in person, and don't know if I ever will. Even though we share a property line, we access our respective properties from two different directions. We also have a bit of wild brush and forest between us. Not enough to block the view from our house, but enough we can't see each other while out in our yards.

It's funny, I just told my wife yesterday I felt like Grandpa telling the youngin's about the good old days. Sheesh, when did I get so old. I didn't realize how many things I've seen change over the last 30-40 years until I'm telling someone new to the area.

Not being able to find specific information by searching for it on the internet. You can find thousands of websites that have *related* info, but you can't get the answer to your question unless you get lucky and find it buried inside a website. Doesn't seem to matter how perfect you make your keyword search parameters.

John Galt if you're still using google or yahoo for searches then try DuckDuckGo. DDG doesn't adjust your search results using the analytics like g or y does.

Not just fast food it seems. We went to our local Cracker barrel last evening around 6pm. Walked in to hostess station and no one there,so we just stood there for 3 to 4 min. Finally one of the waitresses coming by saw us and grabbed some menus and seated us. We sat and were about to leave when one young lady came over and ask if we had been waited on, and took our order. She brought our coffee and bread, then we waited & waited again. My wife who is a lot more patient than me ask if we should just leave and we were getting up when I saw the girl heading our way. She delivered our food, said sorry and left. We knew the food had been sitting under the heat lamp for a long time from the skim on top of my beans and the crust on her mashed potatoes. I told DW to come on and leave but she didn't want to, so we each ate a little. As we left the cute little cashier ask if we enjoyed our meal so I told her no. She said oh sorry maybe it will be better next time.:mad: It might be better next time but not at this one. The food service industry as a whole seems to really be gone to the dogs, in a lot of locations we have travelled to this year.:blush:

I recently returned from a short road trip. On thing I did not like is fast food joints that have their Drive-Thru open but keep their main inside facilities closed, including the rest rooms. Really? Can't they at least rope off the seating and serving areas and allow their paying customers to use a rest room?

I have seen terrified parents with small children in tow, desperately wondering how far it is to the next rest stop. Even when they find another place with open rest rooms, it's another stop that should not be necessary. Come on, McDonalds, Burger King, etc. step up and help your paying customers on a long drive. This is especially bad on long drives through sparsely populated areas where the next rest stop or gas station may be 20-60 miles further down the road.

Note: gas stations, regular sit-down restaurants, even Mega Super Stores in the same counties have their rest rooms open. Thank you WalMart, Krogers, etc. No thank you to the fast food joints that leave their customers in the lurch.

Oh, don't get me started on States who close Rest Stops during the off season with no notice on the Next Rest Top ## Miles sign.

Last edited:
Note: gas stations, regular sit-down restaurants, even Mega Super Stores have their rest rooms open.

That must be very dependent on geography. When we did some long road trips last year we found the opposite to be the case. Many gas stations had their rest rooms closed, while few fast food places did. In any case, we rarely saw a fast food place all by itself -- there were others nearby where we could use the facilities.

When you call a company, work your way through the maze of options of the menu, then when you think someone is finally picking up, THE CALL GETS DROPPED. Uggh

Buying groceries "on sale" only to discover you paid full price when you get home.

It doesn't help to watch the monitor as most items have cryptic abbreviations and show the regular price until the transaction is complete. The sale discounts aren't applied until the end, making it nearly impossible to see which items they link to. There's no way to see the actual price paid until you have the printed paper receipt.

I could probably take the items back to the store and ask for my money back, but the nearest store is 30 minutes away. It's simply not worth the time and gas to make that trip a second time. I also don't want the hassle of dealing with customer service. If they post a price, that's the price I should pay.

Our local Safeway grocery chain seems to have gotten worse with this lately. It's confusing enough that they have a "regular" price, then a "member" price, then a "digital coupon" price. Naturally, you don't get the coupon price just for being a member.

You have to physically cut the coupon out of the weekly paper ad or "scan" it with their useless "improved" phone app. Of course, the phone app always says "item not found". Don't even bother scanning the sale price in the store, if it works at all you'll probably get a discount on diaper wipes when you scan your ice cream container. As for those "reward points" I supposedly earn with purchases, I've never seen a discount for any of them. The new app is so horrible I stopped using it and only clip sale prices online, but even that is confusing and unreliable.

The whole situation feels kind of scammy to me, but I don't make the rules. For that matter, the whole idea of sales and coupons are annoying. There should just be one price for everyone.

Years ago, we lived in Michigan 27 years ago, they had a law that if a scan gave a price higher than the price on the shelf or item, he store had to pay you 5 times the error. My wife made good use of it.

I just looked it up.

https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-359-81903_20942-134114--,00.html

1. How much money do I get back when a scanner charges me more than the price displayed for the item?
You are entitled to receive the difference between the displayed price and what you were charged, plus additional compensation ("bonus") of ten times the difference. The bonus must be at least $1.00, but it may not be more than $5.00. If the seller does not pay the difference and the bonus, you may sue for actual damages or $250.00, whichever is greater, plus attorney fees of up to $300.00.

WOW, maybe I should send her back to Michigan! :LOL:

I spent an hour and 37 minutes, trying to get info about where to find how much in dividends I have received YTD in my IBKR account and how they calculate margin. It took 3 phones calls, I got incorrect info on the first call and I knew it was incorrect, on the second call I finally gave up because the accent was such that I kept having the agent repeat over and over until I could understand. I'm sure he speaks better English than I do his language, but that didn't help solve my problem. The 3rd call even though it took 40 minutes, I got the info I needed. More than 1/2 of that hour and 37 minutes was on hold. :facepalm:

People who drive the wrong way in parking lots and then have the gal to flip you off as if it's your fault. Also people who ignore stop signs in parking lots..and drivers who like to honk when you are at a no turn red..."yeah buddy honk all ya want I will not break the law so you can get to starkbucks 1 minute faster."

Spam calls while driving. I was expecting an important call from DW while driving today and it is my Fidelity rep wanting me to come in and "review my investments". I told him to piss off and never call me unless it is about a real issue. :mad:

Black pepper. I have no use for it, it only upsets my stomach and makes me sneeze. It was always on the table next to the salt so why cook with it? It doesn't dissolve in water. And don't put it on something and call it cajun. Cajun cooking is much more complex than just putting black pepper on something. If you want to spice up your food there are many other ways than using black pepper.

Netflix - It used to take 3-4 days from the time I put a DVD in the mail to when I would receive the next DVD. In the past few months it takes 3-4 days for them to inform me that they have received the DVD I sent, then an additional 3-4 days to inform me that they are sending my next selection and should arrive 4 days later. 10-12 days turn around time is not acceptable.

Cheers!

Netflix - It used to take 3-4 days from the time I put a DVD in the mail to when I would receive the next DVD. In the past few months it takes 3-4 days for them to inform me that they have received the DVD I sent, then an additional 3-4 days to inform me that they are sending my next selection and should arrive 4 days later. 10-12 days turn around time is not acceptable.

Cheers!

Badger, I didn’t know that Netflix still used DVDs!? Why don’t you stream like the majority of subscribers?

Black pepper. I have no use for it, it only upsets my stomach and makes me sneeze. It was always on the table next to the salt so why cook with it? It doesn't dissolve in water. And don't put it on something and call it cajun. Cajun cooking is much more complex than just putting black pepper on something. If you want to spice up your food there are many other ways than using black pepper.

It's different when you cook with it versus adding it on top of a cooked dish. I like it. Both ways.

Badger, I didn’t know that Netflix still used DVDs!? Why don’t you stream like the majority of subscribers?

Last time I checked (DW is the TV watcher), many things are available on DVD that aren't streamed.

And just like black pepper, you can do both.

-ERD50

Yes, Netflix has DVDs. I use both the DVDs and Streaming. Some movies and TV shows are not available on streaming and only on DVDs.

Cheers!

I used to feel the same way, until the DW bought a cheapo salt and pepper grinder set and it came with salt and peppercorns. Man it was on of the most fragrant, tastiest pepper I ever tasted. I mention it all the time to any of my various table mates over the past year. There are big differences in black pepper I have found.

Yes, Netflix has DVDs. I use both the DVDs and Streaming. Some movies and TV shows are not available on streaming and only on DVDs.

Cheers!

That's one of the useful little secrets about Netflix. In the past I have subscribed to the DVD's to get a few foreign shows, and some movies and TV series that are no longer being streamed. After a month of two of watching what I can't get otherwise, I shut it down.

Lately, I have found that if I am patient, the public library can get me most of what I want on DVD.

Last edited:

Cheers!

You can thank the new head of the Post Office for that. It won't get any better as long as he's in charge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom