What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

The local news and their obsession with a new college football coach. I get it, football is a big deal in flyover country...but COME ON already, we get it... there is a new coach, life is going to be SO MUCH BETTER NOW!!!! Yes, I can turn off the TV, but that doesn't change the fact that coverage is over the top.

Look, I enjoy watching sports (to some extent but I don't make active plans to catch a particular game) but to some folks, it's like a religion that has gone off the rails.

I figure if journalists were good at math or science, they would not be journalists. One of my favorite news bits goes something like, "The incident took place about a mile (1.609344 km) away."

People that throw trash out of their cars. It’s bad enough when they are driving down the road, but some people, for whatever reason, eat their takeout sitting in the car, in a public parking lot. They then promptly throw the trash out of the window and drive off. Have a little respect. I’m sure they wouldn’t appreciate me emptying my trash on their front lawn.

People that throw trash out of their cars. It’s bad enough when they are driving down the road, but some people, for whatever reason, eat their takeout sitting in the car, in a public parking lot. They then promptly throw the trash out of the window and drive off. Have a little respect. I’m sure they wouldn’t appreciate me emptying my trash on their front lawn.

The people that do things like that probably don't have front lawns.

"Just throw that trash in the back of the pickup, we'll take care of it when we get back to the shop."

(guys drive to the shop)

"Dude, the trash is gone. Cool!"

People who toss trash out the car are trash.

My pet peeve today is Apple.

I updated to OS15 on my phone. Every day, sometimes more, I get a "reminder" to update my Apple Pay app. NO. I don't use it. Just STOP reminding me.

People who take their food out of the break room microwave with time remaining and don't cancel it so it keeps showing 12 seconds or whatever instead of the clock.

Gougers. I booked an AirBnB over Christmas and saw the rates, including the cleaning and "service" fee were tripled. Yea, I know capitalism, supply and demand and "whatever people will pay" justify the gouging.

I guess on that basis, ambulance drivers should charge a million dollars a mile. :LOL:

My pet peeve today is Apple.

I updated to OS15 on my phone. Every day, sometimes more, I get a "reminder" to update my Apple Pay app. NO. I don't use it. Just STOP reminding me.

That’s weird. I did the update, I got the reminder once.

Oh no! Today they took away all those fascinating Medicare Advantage plan ads! Now how am I gonna "check my zip code"? Say it ain't so, Joe (and JJ, and Bill, and ...).

Just to relieve a little stress, I've been on the phone with Vanguard for an hour and 13 minutes, much of that on hold. All I want to do is move money from my IRA brokerage account to my bank. I have talked to 6 people, so far. First the money showed as available for withdrawal, but the amount didn't show when I tried to transfer. I sold yesterday, so yes, the money is available for withdrawal, but it doesn't show in the account. OK! Next it turns out the IRA is not setup with my bank, so the last 10 minutes O've been waiting on hold for them to find the form to allow my to link that account with my bank. While I'm at it, I'm going to link them all. I suggest to others when the retire and will start withdrawing from accounts that they check to make sure all there accounts are linked to their bank. I found I had only linked my taxable account. It turns out you have to link each account separately, only 5 more to go.
Ah finally got the account linked but need to wait for them to process.

One hour 28 minutes to get this done.
I told the agent I would gladly pay 0.01% more to get quicker service.
I don't really feel any relief. :(

I suggest to others when the retire and will start withdrawing from accounts that they check to make sure all there accounts are linked to their bank. I found I had only linked my taxable account. It turns out you have to link each account separately, only 5 more to go.

Can you transfer the money from the IRA account to your regular Vanguard accounts? And from there to your bank account?

Occasionally I see an empty Wendy's or McDonald's container or wrapper, bag, etc on the road in front of the neighbor's house which is occupied by tenants. The trash sits there for days, or eventually blows away. The tenants all walk past it every day. I guess no one wants to be the 'garbage man' who picks up the other slob tenant's trash. I can't stand to see it there, so I eventually go out and get rid of it. Some people can be such slobs.

Can you transfer the money from the IRA account to your regular Vanguard accounts? And from there to your bank account?

I probably could have, not sure though. I think I have the bank linked, but need to wait for the email. Still have food in fridge, so we should be OK. :LOL:

We had a business on a marina selling shrimp. Near our sales stand someone whipped out a small portable grill and cooked their lunch, when finished they just dumped the grill out on the marina parking lot. I yelled at them from my sales stand, they just yelled back. I soon got a customer, and sold 2lbs of shrimp to her. During that time the grill dumper yelled that he would never buy that shrimp it is rotten. The customer paid and left. An hour later she returned and told me the shrimp was no good. Funny thing is the other 60lbs out of that cooler was all good. I just gave the gullible lady her money back. If I had it to do over, I would have called the police on the litterer.

Just to relieve a little stress, I've been on the phone with Vanguard for an hour and 13 minutes, much of that on hold. All I want to do is move money from my IRA brokerage account to my bank. I have talked to 6 people, so far. First the money showed as available for withdrawal, but the amount didn't show when I tried to transfer. I sold yesterday, so yes, the money is available for withdrawal, but it doesn't show in the account. OK! Next it turns out the IRA is not setup with my bank, so the last 10 minutes O've been waiting on hold for them to find the form to allow my to link that account with my bank. While I'm at it, I'm going to link them all. I suggest to others when the retire and will start withdrawing from accounts that they check to make sure all there accounts are linked to their bank. I found I had only linked my taxable account. It turns out you have to link each account separately, only 5 more to go.

One hour 28 minutes to get this done.
I told the agent I would gladly pay 0.01% more to get quicker service.
I don't really feel any relief. :(

Fidelity would have allowed you to do all of this online including linking the banks to all your accounts with a single check box. I just did it a couple days ago.
The wave of technology is to remove the human factor. I am trying to embrace these as they evolve. Sometimes it just makes life easier. I go under the assumption that phone options will eventually go away so I might as well learn to use the online options.

Fidelity would have allowed you to do all of this online including linking the banks to all your accounts with a single check box. I just did it a couple days ago.
The wave of technology is to remove the human factor. I am trying to embrace these as they evolve. Sometimes it just makes life easier. I go under the assumption that phone options will eventually go away so I might as well learn to use the online options.

Yes, and I could have at Vanguard but the path is so hidden that I was on hold over 15 minutes while the agent went find out how to do it.
Now that I think about it, I hope I can remember the path to link my other 5 accounts. :facepalm: EDIT: I just checked, I can get there through a link put in my messages at Vanguard. I know no other way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Yes, and I could have at Vanguard but the path is so hidden that I was on hold over 15 minutes while the agent went find out how to do it.
Now that I think about it, I hope I can remember the path to link my other 5 accounts. :facepalm:

At Fido you go to transfers and it asks from where to where. If the bank isn’t linked it asks do you want to link this bank and then there’s a check box to link the bank to all accounts. Takes less than a minute.

Me too. This breaks federal law.

Grrr...... I took the grand kid to McDonald's the other day as a reward for helping me decorate the house for Christmas. Even though most restaurants in my area have reopened their indoor seating, the MDs still has their dining area closed, including access to the all important bathroom. After going through the miserable drive-through line we ended up racing home for the toilet.

Sorry, if they can't at least open the bathrooms, I will keep my money and Mickey D's can keep its overpriced food.

Went to McD's last night. Needed to get a gift card for a b-day present. The drive through line was long but with two lanes it usually goes pretty quick.

Not last night...

From getting in line to getting our food... 36 minutes!

They had two lanes open for ordering, but once it got back to one lane, the first window was out of order so everybody had to pay and get their food at the second window. Of course, there was a wait for my chicken sandwich so they said they'd bring it right out if we just pulled ahead to space #4.

20 minutes later they brought out our food. We arrived at 4:18 p.m. and got our food at 4:54 :mad:

At least we got the gift card. :LOL:

Starting to see face masks on the ground of parking lots again. Not that they disappeared completely, but the number of them has ratcheted up in recent weeks.

In checking the IRS online system today to verify a line item from last year I discovered that according to it they have no record of receiving our tax return last year.

My bank then made me pay a 5.95 charge to go from the free 6 months online retrieval to 12 months. Of course the check was cashed by IRS about a week after mailing it all in so they had to receive the paperwork.

Tried to confirm the credit on IRS via online system then gave up on their VRU. Tomorrow’s peeve may be a doozie.

Back
Top Bottom