What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

You can thank the new head of the Post Office for that. It won't get any better as long as he's in charge.

Nothing to do with that. Netflix has slashed the number of DVD distribution centers so there is no longer one in every major postal area.

People who use acronyms that no one else knows. I was walking my OQS yesterday when some JFN came over and called me a GYMO. What?

For a while now, many TV shows and movies are becoming more and more cell-phone centric, with the actors constantly fiddling with them. And now we find the actors are texting information vital to the plot, so DW and I are constantly saying "what did he just type." A bit aggravating.

For a while now, many TV shows and movies are becoming more and more cell-phone centric, with the actors constantly fiddling with them. And now we find the actors are texting information vital to the plot, so DW and I are constantly saying "what did he just type." A bit aggravating.
In the old movies, to advance the plot they often showed letters or notes, many times written in cursive. Remember "Casablanca", where Rick is waiting in the rain at the Paris train station for Ilsa when Sam gives him a note, the ink of which starts to run in the rain? That was alright, but they often did not hold the scene long enough to read such notes properly.

It's even more aggravating for us, as we're non-cell phone people. As DW is the TV watcher in our house, she found a way around this, though. This year she's been watching The Flintstones, I Love Lucy, Laverne & Shirley, Perry Mason, The Andy Griffith Show and the original Scooby Doo series from the 60s and 70s. Nobody's using a cell phone in those shows. Or vintage game shows like Password, Super Password or Sale-Of-The-Century. If she wants to watch something more recent, she'll watch The Golden Girls, Diagnosis Murder, Matlock, Murder-She Wrote, Cheers, or Frasier. Once in a while a cellular phone will make an appearance on those newer shows, but at least nobody's texting. :)

Speaking of tv shows and movies why do so many actors whisper?
If the writers can't write good dialogue then work harder!

Pet Peeve- People that blame everything on the corporations, the Rich, the Successfull, instead of realizing these are all just people trying to get ahead in life. Sometimes it is easier to blame others instead of looking within. If they got ahead, and we didn't, they must be cheating or dishonest in some way!! Jealousy is an emotion that hits all of us in some way.

Coffee shop hogs. I'm finally retired from customer service, have time to sip a latte and read a book, and the cafes are full of people parked in front of their macbooks. Their cups are empty and their plates were cleared a long time ago. Just give me a space for half an hour!

Pet Peeve- People that blame everything on the corporations, the Rich, the Successfull, instead of realizing these are all just people trying to get ahead in life. Sometimes it is easier to blame others instead of looking within. If they got ahead, and we didn't, they must be cheating or dishonest in some way!! Jealousy is an emotion that hits all of us in some way.
Ugggg...my pet peev people who think corporations are people...

Last edited:
weather apps and weather forecasting in general

I have 2 weather apps on my phone. Today was clean up day. Record high tides and storm surge took out many piers on the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay over the past 36 hours. Water rose in the creek behind our house and got into our garage for the first time in the nine years we've lived here. Nothing was water damaged, but a few things needed to be dried out. As the day progressed and I retrieved numerous pier decking boards from my beach along with salvaging a kayak and a small fiber glass skiff from the flooded creek behind my house. Before fully putting everything away. I checked both weather apps numerous times. If there was going to be even a 10% chance of rain on either app, the plan was to fully put everything away before heading out to dinner then checking on some pets. We were gone from the house for 4 hours. The CJ8 was uncovered as was the riding lawnmower, the gator, a rolled up carpet, my leaf blower and my nice DeWalt 12" sliding compound miter saw. I pulled into the driveway (in the rain), pulled out my phone and stood there (in the rain) verifying both apps still stating 0% chance of rain. These apps should literally be banned as should most weather forecasters. Why do they even try? We should be able to sue them. They should have to have warning labels like cigarettes. No better than tarot card readers. Pathetic.

My pet peeve is still loose dogs with idiot owners. We were walking our leashed pup on a big Oregon beach which normally has lots of free running, but well behaved dogs. I noticed a woman unleash a large dog about 100 feet away and my spidey sense said, watch out. Sure enough, that damned dog immediately charged to attack our dog. He was met with a face full of pepper spray. Of course, she called the dog off vigorously and then apologized profusely afterward, right? :LOL: Nope, she did nothing and walked away without a word. I may have verbalized my disappointment in her behavior. :angel:

My pet peeve is still loose dogs with idiot owners. We were walking our leashed pup on a big Oregon beach which normally has lots of free running, but well behaved dogs. I noticed a woman unleash a large dog about 100 feet away and my spidey sense said, watch out. Sure enough, that damned dog immediately charged to attack our dog. He was met with a face full of pepper spray. Of course, she called the dog off vigorously and then apologized profusely afterward, right? :LOL: Nope, she did nothing and walked away without a word. I may have verbalized my disappointment in her behavior. :angel:

When folks have their dogs on the beach, leashed or unleashed, are they all compliant cleaning up the doggy crap deposited by Fido?

I hope by "pepper spray" you meant bear spray in the large can. It's expensive compared to those little cans of "personal protection" spray, but much more effective. And an unleashed, approaching dog deserves the warmest of welcomes!

Last edited:
My echo dot has taken to randomly sending me a notification (green ring on it) that it has something I might like on Amazon shopping. I checked Alexa and I have all notifications for Amazon shopping off.

When I first got an echo dot I used it for streaming, asking questions, and a few other things. Now I pretty much just use it for turning lights on and off outside of the automated times. It's about time to look for a replacement for that, or just do them by phone.

Don't get me started on giving Alexa a command, and having it follow up with "By the way...", which is never a tip I'm interested in.

Driving 18 miles RT for take out and get home with it wrong!

People who make grocery shopping a family site-seeing outing.

It’s three days before Thanksgiving. Of course the store is going to be crowded. Do you really need to bring extra people to stroll with you? I’m not talking about the parents with youngsters; sometimes you don’t have a choice but to have them with you. I’m talking about the woman with her husband and two teenagers, walking around and gawking as if they’ve never been in a grocery store before.

People who make grocery shopping a family site-seeing outing.

It’s three days before Thanksgiving. Of course the store is going to be crowded. Do you really need to bring extra people to stroll with you? I’m not talking about the parents with youngsters; sometimes you don’t have a choice but to have them with you. I’m talking about the woman with her husband and two teenagers, walking around and gawking as if they’ve never been in a grocery store before.

How about two shoppers with drive carts in an isle just sitting there chatting for a long time blocking the whole isle. Saw it this morning.

I shoulda but wasteful people rant into this thread. Today my pet peeve is the email I received telling me a return to the office is in the near future. No thank you. Especially with my DW working around lots of people with compromised immune systems on top of individual "special needs". I am going to make a hard case against it knowing those variables. My FIL has had a cough ever since he caught COVID. I just don't feel MegaCorps are really thinking this all the way through.

Grrr...... I took the grand kid to McDonald's the other day as a reward for helping me decorate the house for Christmas. Even though most restaurants in my area have reopened their indoor seating, the MDs still has their dining area closed, including access to the all important bathroom. After going through the miserable drive-through line we ended up racing home for the toilet.

Sorry, if they can't at least open the bathrooms, I will keep my money and Mickey D's can keep its overpriced food.

Grrr...... I took the grand kid to McDonald's the other day as a reward for helping me decorate the house for Christmas. Even though most restaurants in my area have reopened their indoor seating, the MDs still has their dining area closed, including access to the all important bathroom. After going through the miserable drive-through line we ended up racing home for the toilet.

Sorry, if they can't at least open the bathrooms, I will keep my money and Mickey D's can keep its overpriced food.

I know a couple of fast food restaurants near us haven't opened the dining rooms and the cause has universally reported as "labor shortage." Went to a Wendy's a few days ago and they had TWO people working the entire store. :(

I was asked to pull up to the railing when I went through the local McDonalds drive thru today. Nobody ever brought the coffee I was waiting for out so I went in after 8 minutes and told someone who got one cup, I said two so he walked off. I stood there a couple minutes before leaving without the coffee. I won't ever pull up again. I'll nicely explain they forget my last order and when I get it I'll be happy to pull up, until then I'm waiting.

Apps that alert you of an upgrade. Once a day. When you need to use the app and don't have time to upgrade it right then. I installed a wifi module for my garage door opener. Works great. The last few days when leaving I open the app to close the door as I'm leaving and there it is. Upgrade your app. No. I'm going somewhere and can't do it right now. I'll do it later. Only can't find it anywhere in settings. Guess I'll have to do it sitting in the car and be late for wherever I'm going.

Few weeks ago: reporters who can't divide, who never use "per capita" numbers.

Recently I read about waste or recycling problems in the U.S. and Germany, with Germany having "only" 3/5th compared to the U.S. ... but America has 4x the population! On a per capita basis, Germany was doing far worse.

I've seen this over and over - reporters need math classes.

Few weeks ago: reporters who can't divide, who never use "per capita" numbers.

Recently I read about waste or recycling problems in the U.S. and Germany, with Germany having "only" 3/5th compared to the U.S. ... but America has 4x the population! On a per capita basis, Germany was doing far worse.

I've seen this over and over - reporters need math classes.

And in some of these instances the reporters know full well how to do math. They don't because they have an agenda in mind when they write the article.

Constant barrage of emails from vendors with whom I have ordered online. Once I order something online I immediately get daily emails from them hyping their "specials" which I then need to "unsubscribe" from and tell them why I am "leaving". Annoying.

Back
Top Bottom