What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

^ Furthermore, I really hate those people who bite down when I'm sucking their fingers!

If their fingers are in your mouth, why would you care if they bite down? I'm confused.....is there something of yours in their mouth?

oh my....

Children don't get a complete pass IMO. I got an Unsatisfactory in class participation in first grade because I didn't want to hold the hand of a kid who took thumb sucking to a whole other level when we did a line dance. I was never one of the kids who didn't want to hold someone's hands for a dumb reason but I drew the line at that kid. The Alley Cat was my favorite song but I was willing to sit that one out.

Having fun with Spam callers when I have time... I answer most calls and when it's a spam call, I'll hang up if it's "automated" but if it's a live/real person, I'll often listen to their pitch for up to ~30 seconds and then give them a quick smart a$$ response before I hang up...

This morning I got several.

One was a Medicare company trying to sell me braces... They asked if I'm still having back or knee pains? I said no, not anymore, and hung up...

The next one said they were from "some" law firm and said, I'm sure you have been expecting our call to discuss your recent large cash award... I said no I haven't, but just send it to me, and then hung up.

Then another was from "Cheap Insurance"... After their little sales pitch, I told them I already had insurance and I liked paying more and then hung up.

It gives me some satisfaction just wasting a little of their time.

Last edited:
If their fingers are in your mouth, why would you care if they bite down? I'm confused.....is there something of yours in their mouth?

oh my....

It's a complex symbiotic relationship that I, myself, have a difficult time understanding.......either that or I formatted my original post incorrectly. :LOL:

Last edited:
Adults that suck their fingers when they're eating. Ever hear of a napkin? Is it really necessary to stick your entire finger in your mouth, suck as hard as you can and make that disgusting smack noise when finger exists mouth?

People who do this are slathering their fingers with their own spit. Its even better when they then use that spit finger to tough everything else in sight.

If you're an adult, stop sucking your fingers. Its disgusting.

Perhaps they are getting warmed up to play a game of "switch"

I can't watch Cops, Live PD, Jail, or any other law-enforcement related shows anymore.
Ridiculous :mad:

People who tailgate and weave in and out of traffic lanes, constantly passing every vehicle in sight, only to end up at the next light maybe having gained 1 car length at best.

Thank You!
If this forum hadn't proven to be so valuable to me over the years, I'd state what I wish would happen to each & everyone of those people.

Self labeling by some as scientists.
Last few years I ran into several folks, all in the chemistry business of sorts. A few working on AA, a couple working on or having BS, one with MS degree in various areas of chemistry. They all referred to themselves as scientists. Frequently.

Seems a bit presumptiuos and uppity.

My early encounters with scientists were Phd holders in physics, math, geophysics, oceanography, marine biology, geochemistry etc.. I w*rked for and with a few dozen. None ever called themselves as scientists, they were noted as such by others.

Last edited:
Watched an older tv show yesterday and a twin engine plane was trying to outrun an old beatup truck in the desert. Can't these writers come up with something more realistic?

Watched an older tv show yesterday and a twin engine plane was trying to outrun an old beatup truck in the desert. Can't these writers come up with something more realistic?

I always love the scenes where the guy is running away from a German Shepherd/Doberman, or somesuch. Runs for five minutes, looks back and the dog's still the same distance behind. Yeah, right.

Was it a Wright Flyer? :)

Sorry, that's twin-prop, not twin-engine.

My kid flies a trainer that cruises at over 300 mph...currently practicing formation flying...wingtips within 30 feet.

Last edited:
My pet peeve - researching to buy something on Amazon, and I need more info than is available. I submit a question.

Evidently in the Amazon system, anyone can answer - and commonly get - answers "I don't know" or even worse - some one say "yes" and someone else says "No".

Then Amazon asks me to rate my satisfaction to getting an answer.....

Self labeling by some as scientists.
Last few years I ran into several folks, all in the chemistry business of sorts. A few working on AA, a couple working on or having BS, one with MS degree in various areas of chemistry. They all referred to themselves as scientists. Frequently.

Seems a bit presumptiuos and uppity.

My early encounters with scientists were Phd holders in physics, math, geophysics, oceanography, marine biology, geochemistry etc.. I w*rked for and with a few dozen. None ever called themselves as scientists, they were noted as such by others.

Is a chemist not a scientist? That’s news to me. I have a BS in Chemistry and an MS in Polymer Science & Engineering. I spent my entire career in research in the coatings business. When people ask me what I did for a living I am more likely to answer “scientist” than “chemist”, because while I used the scientific method every day, the work I was doing in the lab only tangentially involved chemistry. I wasn’t synthesizing the molecules (my teammates did that), I was formulating and testing the performance of various coatings.

Sounds kind of science-y, doesn’t it? If I don’t feel like identifying as a chemist or scientist, when people ask what I did for a living I tell them I made paint and watched it dry. When that got too exciting, I made paint and put it outside to watch it weather.

I was sort of a scientist for the first decade or so of my career (my title was "Senior Scientist" and I did physics research).

Nobody in my facility ever referred to themselves as scientists or used titles. Everybody just used first names and if asked about their work would say something related to their interests like "I do laser stuff" or "I'm a materials person" - that kind of thing. If someone introduced any of us as a scientist we'd get kind of embarrassed since it sounded too highfalutin'.

Maybe some scientists care about titles, but none of the ones I worked with ever seemed to.

I was sort of a scientist for the first decade or so of my career (my title was "Senior Scientist" and I did physics research).

Nobody in my facility ever referred to themselves as scientists or used titles. Everybody just used first names and if asked about their work would say something related to their interests like "I do laser stuff" or "I'm a materials person" - that kind of thing. If someone introduced any of us as a scientist we'd get kind of embarrassed since it sounded too highfalutin'.

Maybe some scientists care about titles, but none of the ones I worked with ever seemed to.

At work, none of us cared about titles or degrees or referred to ourselves as scientists. My company title when I left was also Senior Scientist.

But when someone outside of my place of employment asked what I did, I would reply as in my previous post. I don’t know why you think scientist sounds high fallutin’; it’s not my intention when I use it. It’s what I did: science. I wasn’t a manager, or a salesperson, or an accountant or in marketing. I did science in a lab wearing a white (paint-splotched) coat and safety goggles.

FedEx delivery is costly, and the driver should take 20 more steps to place the package on the covered front porch.

Driver should not lie and type in "Left at front Door" when pckage was left at garage door.

I did receive pretty good customer service when I called. This is not the first time, and I expect it won't be the last. Who knows, maybe my feedback will help the next driver find the front door?

FedEx delivery is costly, and the driver should take 20 more steps to place the package on the covered front porch.

Driver should not lie and type in "Left at front Door" when pckage was left at garage door.

I did receive pretty good customer service when I called. This is not the first time, and I expect it won't be the last. Who knows, maybe my feedback will help the next driver find the front door?

Since we started leaving a snack box at the front door for our delivery people, we have had excellent service. :D

Driver should not lie and type in "Left at front Door" when package was left at garage door.

Be thankful your package even makes it to your house. FedEx repeatedly delivers my neighbors packages to our front porch (rural area, both addresses clearly marked on our mail boxes). Granted, the numbers are close (6911 vs 6917), but they've got one job to do.... Deliver the package to the right address. :)

So, once a month or so I have to drive over to the neighbors and deliver the package myself. I guess it's an excuse to talk to my neighbor.

Thankfully, USPS and UPS both seem to deliver to the correct addresses.

Our squirrels would really like that.
:LOL:

:D:D:D Oddly enough, our squirrels stay in the "way back" (heavily wooded portion of our property) and I rarely see them around the front of the house. When we lived in Atlanta, it was an everyday battle dealing with those damn tree rats. We have bird feeders in the front and back yard, but they don't come around. We do bring the snack box in at night because I am sure the racoons would LOVE to take a snack or two. :)

nice idea! What do you put in the snack box?

Is a chemist not a scientist? That’s news to me. I have a BS in Chemistry and an MS in Polymer Science & Engineering. I spent my entire career in research in the coatings business. When people ask me what I did for a living I am more likely to answer “scientist” than “chemist”, because while I used the scientific method every day, the work I was doing in the lab only tangentially involved chemistry. I wasn’t synthesizing the molecules (my teammates did that), I was formulating and testing the performance of various coatings.

Sounds kind of science-y, doesn’t it? If I don’t feel like identifying as a chemist or scientist, when people ask what I did for a living I tell them I made paint and watched it dry. When that got too exciting, I made paint and put it outside to watch it weather.

In all my past 53 years of experiences, am 73, just discounting stuff before age 20, only people in the chemical and biochemistry fields self identified as scientist. Most were lab techs or students working on their degrees. Only one of the bunch had MS.

Never found any others in a wide range of hard sciences who self identified as scientist. Media folks seem to call scientists those people engaged in and having expertise in furthering knowldge.

Last edited:
My dad referred to himself as a chemist. Had a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and worked in a quality and environmental control lab for an oil company.

Although chemistry is a science-based field, I think of researchers as scientists.

My dad referred to himself as a chemist. Had a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and worked in a quality and environmental control lab for an oil company.

Although chemistry is a science-based field, I think of researchers as scientists.

Maybe this is the distinction I was missing? My degree was chemistry, my career was spent in R&D. We were doing research to invent technology that would be developed into products to be sold to paint companies, who would formulate paints to be sold to the public. Certainly not as socially critical as developing vaccines, but our products were the cash cow for the company.

If I’m working in the research lab I can call myself a scientist, but if I’m doing QC I’m a chemist.

I sincerely didn’t realize that “scientist” somehow carries more weight than “chemist”. Maybe that’s because all of the chemists I worked with were allowed to call themselves scientists?

The chemist who taught my DDs AP Chemistry left industry to become a teacher. She probably wouldn’t refer to herself as a scientist anymore because she is teaching and not doing any research.

If I could draw a Venn diagram of chemists/scientists here, it would show that not all scientists are chemists, not all chemists are scientists, but I spent my career in the intersection.

I always thought being a scientist required you to wear a white lab coat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom