What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That they have taken towels out of bathrooms and put underpowered blowers in. I don't mind when there is a blower that really blasts but some of them are just jokes and it would take hours to dry one's hands.
I hate those things. I end up shaking my hands and using my pants or shirt.

I think I'm the only person that liked those dispensers that rolled out actual cloth towel in public restrooms. (Much) faster than a blower, no paper towel trash. I suspect people thought they weren't sanitary, but there aren't many microbes that can survive a hot, soapy, bleach bath and 30 minutes in a 170 deg F dryer. But I haven't seen one of those machines in a long time.

I was in the British Museum in London, UK a couple of weeks ago and lo and behold guess what they had?! It struck me that I hadn't seen one in ages either. I didn't mind them at all.

The door to the bathroom in the Delta Sky Club at our airport has an attachment that let you open it with your foot from the inside. That's the only place I've seen such a thing, but it shows that they are available.

A restaurant I go to has that on their restroom doors also.

Replacement Car keys

Wow what a racket this had become. A few years ago I lost the key and remote on my Escape and I bought a new key and remote for ten bucks each on eBay, had the key cut for five more and then was able to have the car reprogram both by going through a little sequence outlined in the owners manual.

Recently I lost the valet key for DW's Honda and I find that just having a key cut is $40 to $75. The dealer will not cut a non OEM key, though a locksmith will. Naturally the OEM key is $$$. It is then extra to have the passive chip inside the key head programmed so it will start the car. And if it has an integral remote, programming that is also extra. So, all in, if you lose your key, you are looking at $275 to $500.

I realize this all contributes to more anti theft security, but I have to wonder if taking away the ability to program it yourself and using the laser cut keys is necessary or a racket.

Drivers who don't yield to pedestrians in crosswalk. I'm thinking of shaming them by filming them and posting on youtube.

I remember when I used to cut keys at the hardware store in HS, 59 cents each, 2 for 99.

As far as bathroom doors are concerned, I'm 6'5" tall and I reach up and just use the overhead door closer linkage.

My Pet Peeve is the apostrophe. If ever there was a monument to uselessness.....that little symbol is it. It is located in an inconvenient spot on the computer keyboard. And it is several keystrokes away on any of these new phones.

Is it so difficult to type the word "should not" that you have to insert the blasted blemish for a single letter ?? Wouldnt it be easier if we could get rid of the little bugger ??

And imagine a world where there was no Grammar Police to tell you the difference between your and you're. Finally we could do away with all the contraction confusion around its and it's.

And, "I'm" for goodness sake ?? Have we sunk so low as a society that we need to shorten 3 letters into two and a tick ??

Im going to start a campaign -- no, a Movement.....to Ban the Dam Apostrophe Catastrophe. Theyre not going to stop us. Well show them were serious.

Whos with me ??

Is that some sort of sex based questioning technique ?

ha

My pet peeve of the morning is that no matter how much laundry gets washed, dried, and put away, there is always a whole lot more to do eventually.

Why doesn't it just STAY done? :LOL:

"There, the laundry is completely done and I'll never have to do laundry again". Sounds pretty good, huh?

Speaking of restrooms, I just spent ten days on vacation and used a lot of public bathrooms. Often I could barely spread my feet far enough apart to avoid wading in a puddle of not water.

Yeah, Venice can be terrible sometimes.

You made me Google it, just to see if it was a real word. Never heard of this punctuation before!?:D

Now, to be fair, I didn't make you, I simply provided the incentive. ;) :LOL:

Speaking of restrooms, I just spent ten days on vacation and used a lot of public bathrooms. Often I could barely spread my feet far enough apart to avoid wading in a puddle of not water.
I think urinals are designed by ridiculously optimistic fools. The only urinal I ever saw without a puddle in front of it was in an old inn. The thing stuck out about two feet from the wall and you more or less straddled it. The urinals with a stenciled fly seem to help. :D

Attachments

• urinal-fly-.jpg
    urinal-fly-.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 213
I have my phone programmed to automatically replace any "!?" or "?!" combination with an interrobang. I love it, don't you‽

Our cell phone, (which we recently 'upgraded' from an old freebie from DW's daughter, and which we only carry (although even then rarely use) on trips), isn't that sophisticated..it's a flip phone with very few features...but I do like the interrobang and wish it was more popular.

Hmm, can that symbol be included in a post? I had to look up how to do UNICODE chars on my linux machine, simple, just CONTROL SHIFT as you type the code, release, and magically replaced! So lets see...

‽ << well it looks good on my compose box... code U203D

∴, therefore (U2234), it should work when posted? Optimistic?

preview worked...
and it displays OK on my browser.

And I can even search using the 'find' box on my browser - cool.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom