What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Have you tried that rear view mirror thingie yet? :D
If you are asking about the digital rear-view, then yes I have. Didn't particularly like it initially but I may try it again at some point. I can see that it would be useful if I have people or stuff in the backseat blocking my view.

Speaking of such, I really like the panoramic/surround backup camera view(s). Particularly the overhead view... How in the heck do they do that! When I first saw it, I thought I had a drone flying overhead to give me that view.:)

Last edited:
I find it to be a peeve that my new cell phone doesn't do things consistently. When I press the center button to display all the icons, sometimes it displays a screen about changing my ringtone or something.

Also, the left, right, up, down places to click change depending where you are in the selection tree.

The 'off' button is mt favorite. I have to press it a lot to get out of screens I don't want to be in, lol.

My son bought a house 3 days ago, yesterday he checked the mail box, for no real good reason. He lives at 2234 Smith Dr, three house down (a short block) is 2234 Smith Circle. In his mail box was 3 pieces of mail, all for 2234 Smith Circle. Our mail man has had this route for over 20 years. Seems like he would have this figured out by now.

If you are asking about the digital rear-view, then yes I have. Didn't particularly like it initially but I may try it again at some point. I can see that it would be useful if I have people or stuff in the backseat blocking my view.

Speaking of such, I really like the panoramic/surround backup camera view(s).

Particularly the overhead view... How in the heck do they do that! When I first saw it, I thought I had a drone flying overhead to give me that view.:)

Sometimes called surround-view or birds-eye view, a 360-degree camera view is a series of four or more cameras capturing a view of the area on each of the four sides of a car. An image-processing program then stitches those four views together and drops a representation of the car into the middle of it. Computer stuff.....with camera views to interpret.

And a corollary of that is, you can be driving down the road, with not another car behind you, as far as the eye can see. Yet, a car will pull out of a side street, right out in front of you, and take its sweet time.

I was driving in MO towards Branson, there are some big hills on that part. One I measured was 1 mile long going downhill, then it goes back uphill.

I take my foot off the gas at 55 mph and by the bottom I'm doing 80 mph.

So of course when I'm 3/4 of the way down the hill, some idiot pulls onto the highway in front of me. Then starts to go up the hill.

I was lucky to switch lanes and zipped right past him rather than slowing down to 20mph on the freeway !!!

My son bought a house 3 days ago, yesterday he checked the mail box, for no real good reason. He lives at 2234 Smith Dr, three house down (a short block) is 2234 Smith Circle. In his mail box was 3 pieces of mail, all for 2234 Smith Circle. Our mail man has had this route for over 20 years. Seems like he would have this figured out by now.

If there was ONLY mail for Smith Circle, I'd blame the mailman. But, if it was mixed in with mail for Smith Drive, then that's an issue with them sorting it at the post office, and bundling it incorrectly.

My current address is 807. I'm in one of those areas that's rural enough that all the mailboxes are on one side of the road, my side. So the people on the other side have to cross the road to get their mail. My neighbor right across the street is 800, and his mailbox is next to mine. The only other 80X number is a newer house that's directly behind my lot, but with the odd way some large lots were subdivided around here, his driveway is a shared one, and his mailbox is about 400 feet down the road. I'll occasionally get mail for 800. I don't think I've ever gotten it for 805, but have gotten it for some 7XX numbers on occasion.

My old house was 12112. Two doors down, was 12212. The one in between us was 12200. Needless to say, I got 12212's mail quite a bit, and they also got ours. And that mailman had been on the same route a good 30 years or more!

The 12112 property had been in the family since before the Civil War. I have a few old letters that were in a metal box, from the 1920s. Considering nowadays they'll screw up your mail even when it's addressed property, could you imagine the nightmare it would be, if people still addressed them the way they did back in the old days?! I think zip codes first came out in the early 1960s, but I guess if you go back far enough, they didn't even have house numbers assigned yet! Glenn Dale (that spelling came out in the 1960s) was really small back in the 1920s, so I guess everybody knew everybody. So they probably just referred to places as "The Wood House," "The Old Haney Place" or whatever.

Attachments

• IMG_E1936.jpg
    IMG_E1936.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 4
I like the rear mirror camera in my Buick Enclave. The only problem is that some headlights tend to flash due to the Hz rate. It almost looks like a cop with the flashing headlights. Other than that it's great and gives a much wider view than the typical rearview mirror (it is adjustable).

Taking pup for a walk and saw an older gentleman grabbing handfuls of poop bags out of the holder at the entrance of the park and stuffing his pockets.
Silly pet peeve, but still. He lives in one of the bigger, nicer homes on the block and most likely can afford to buy his own, and we live in a good neighborhood.
At least he uses them, when a few folks don't--but that's a peeve for another day!

Taking pup for a walk and saw an older gentleman grabbing handfuls of poop bags out of the holder at the entrance of the park and stuffing his pockets.
Silly pet peeve, but still. He lives in one of the bigger, nicer homes on the block and most likely can afford to buy his own, and we live in a good neighborhood.
At least he uses them, when a few folks don't--but that's a peeve for another day!

I was walking my dog today and there was another dog on a walk across the street, barking at my dog, while his owner talked on the phone and paid no attention. His dog then proceeded to take a dump on someone's front lawn. I watched the guy take out a poop bag, continue talking on his phone, put the poop bag back in his pocket, and walk off leaving the deposit behind.

Someone on the local nextdoor app posted a video of a guy taking out his poop bag, collecting the poop and then throwing the bag full of poop into a neighborhood pond.

His dog then proceeded to take a dump on someone's front lawn. I watched the guy take out a poop bag, continue talking on his phone, put the poop bag back in his pocket, and walk off leaving the deposit behind.

That reminded me of something I heard on the old Johnny Carson show: Someone hits a parked car gets out and starts writing on a piece of paper, "I just hit your car. There is a big crowd gathered around and everyone thinks I am leaving my name and address on this note ... but I'm not."

If there was ONLY mail for Smith Circle, I'd blame the mailman. But, if it was mixed in with mail for Smith Drive, then that's an issue with them sorting it at the post office, and bundling it incorrectly.

My current address is 807. I'm in one of those areas that's rural enough that all the mailboxes are on one side of the road, my side. So the people on the other side have to cross the road to get their mail. My neighbor right across the street is 800, and his mailbox is next to mine. The only other 80X number is a newer house that's directly behind my lot, but with the odd way some large lots were subdivided around here, his driveway is a shared one, and his mailbox is about 400 feet down the road. I'll occasionally get mail for 800. I don't think I've ever gotten it for 805, but have gotten it for some 7XX numbers on occasion.

My old house was 12112. Two doors down, was 12212. The one in between us was 12200. Needless to say, I got 12212's mail quite a bit, and they also got ours. And that mailman had been on the same route a good 30 years or more!

The 12112 property had been in the family since before the Civil War. I have a few old letters that were in a metal box, from the 1920s. Considering nowadays they'll screw up your mail even when it's addressed property, could you imagine the nightmare it would be, if people still addressed them the way they did back in the old days?! I think zip codes first came out in the early 1960s, but I guess if you go back far enough, they didn't even have house numbers assigned yet! Glenn Dale (that spelling came out in the 1960s) was really small back in the 1920s, so I guess everybody knew everybody. So they probably just referred to places as "The Wood House," "The Old Haney Place" or whatever.

People in my town still call my house "Peterson's Place", even though Peterson has not lived here for 35 years.

ISomeone on the local nextdoor app posted a video of a guy taking out his poop bag, collecting the poop and then throwing the bag full of poop into a neighborhood pond.
What I usually see happen is the bag full of poop gets tossed into a neighbor's garbage bin on a day when trash collection has taken place. Only slightly annoying compared to when the bin they toss the bag into happens to be for recycle collection, and dog poop is not on the recycle list.

That happens to us - worse, the other house has the same number but a completely different street name and is 5 miles away. I have returned their mail to the local post office so often, or have spoken to them about our mail/packages being delivered there, that they know me too well by sight :).

He should be glad he doesn't live in Atlanta where there must be 20 streets containing the words "Peach Tree..." :LOL:

He should be glad he doesn't live in Atlanta where there must be 20 streets containing the words "Peach Tree..." :LOL:

Well there are at least 71 streets or roads in the Atlanta area that have some Itaration of Peachtrea in their name:facepalm:--your welcome!:LOL:But on the other hand if your talking to a local for directions and they say "go to the Big Chicken and" -- you are in Marrietta Ga.:popcorn:

That happens to us - worse, the other house has the same number but a completely different street name and is 5 miles away. I have returned their mail to the local post office so often, or have spoken to them about our mail/packages being delivered there, that they know me too well by sight :).

In theory the full nine digit zip code should get that mail right to the carrier route and avoid the problem. In theory….

I don't know how mail is bundled, It it separate for each house? The route the mailman drives first delivers to my son's 2234 Smith Dr. house, then goes to Smith Circle and delivers to 3 Smith Circle houses before 2234 Smith Circle. Is that a sorting problem at the post office. I'm actually very happy with my postman, he has always done a good job for us.

We very rarely go to a fast food option, but a couple days ago DW and I were driving around in our golf cart on a nice warm afternoon. We were in the area of a Wendy's so we thought that a Frosty ice cream sounded pretty good. We went inside and there were probably 8 people in line ahead of us. There appeared to be only two people working behind the counter. One to handle the inside customers and one handling the drive thru window. Each person was responsible for order taking and also packaging up the orders. After 15 minutes we finally got up to the counter to place our order. "Oh, sorry the Frosty machine is not working." :mad:

So we were about a block from a Burger King so we stopped there to get an ice cream cone. We went inside and there were only 2 people in line ahead of us. It was the same set up with only 2 behind the counter, one working the drive thru window and one working the inside counter. The employee was trying to explain something about the Burger King app with the first person in line. This discussion went on for at least 5 minutes. If you are at the counter why not just place your order so not to hold up the line behind you? Anyway, the counter person finally told the customer they had to attend to something in the back and walked away. We stood there another 10 minutes waiting for the counter person to return but they never did. Probably went on there break?? So we left frustrated again.:mad:

That is no way to run a business.

Google search prioritizing ads when I put in a specific business.

Twice now in the past few days, I've searched for a business by name (unique enough in both cases) to quickly get a phone number, and click to call from the search result. Twice I've wound up calling a different business because although I wanted "ABC plumbing" they put "XYZ plumbing" at the top of the list.

I know, I should check but I'm on my phone and just want a darn number and this is annoying.

Twice now in the past few days, I've searched for a business by name (unique enough in both cases) to quickly get a phone number, and click to call from the search result. Twice I've wound up calling a different business because although I wanted "ABC plumbing" they put "XYZ plumbing" at the top of the list.

I know, I should check but I'm on my phone and just want a darn number and this is annoying.

A neighbor of ours was almost scammed the same way. He put in SW airlines, clicked on the number, talked to some one that said there would be a cost to make the change he wanted, and gave them a CC number.

A short while later he thought about it and called SW at the number on his itinerary. There was no cost, and they said they have had many folks fall for the scam. He was able to stop the CC transaction.

Beware

I have been using DuckDuckGo for years instead of Google. It used to be not as good as Google. Today it is a near equal.

A neighbor of ours was almost scammed the same way. He put in SW airlines, clicked on the number, talked to some one that said there would be a cost to make the change he wanted, and gave them a CC number.

A short while later he thought about it and called SW at the number on his itinerary. There was no cost, and they said they have had many folks fall for the scam. He was able to stop the CC transaction.

Beware

Yeah normally I'd be home and use my PC for stuff, but I was out running errands. Just calling a plumber and then a vet, in each case they answered and I realized I had another business.

I have been using DuckDuckGo for years instead of Google. It used to be not as good as Google. Today it is a near equal.

+1 DuckDuckGo handles my searches as I expect them, not as some search engines might want to sell me on them :).

+1 DuckDuckGo handles my searches as I expect them, not as some search engines might want to sell me on them :).

When I've attempted to use DDG, it doesn't provide a "browser" as such but want to append to another browser as nearly as I can tell. In any case, I've never successfully been able to set up DDG on my computer. Full discloure: My computer is ancient - perhaps 9 years old and I've been unable to add OTHER browsers as well - they say they are incompatible with my system.

Any advice or suggestions to install DDG?

Thanks and aloha.

When I've attempted to use DDG, it doesn't provide a "browser" as such but want to append to another browser as nearly as I can tell. In any case, I've never successfully been able to set up DDG on my computer. Full discloure: My computer is ancient - perhaps 9 years old and I've been unable to add OTHER browsers as well - they say they are incompatible with my system.

Any advice or suggestions to install DDG?

Thanks and aloha.

Get a new computer.

Back
Top Bottom