What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Maybe try downloading the Brave browser and see if that works for you? I use it on my Chromebook with no issues.

Yeah, already tried it and half a dozen others. None will w*rk. Thanks.

When I've attempted to use DDG, it doesn't provide a "browser" as such but want to append to another browser as nearly as I can tell. In any case, I've never successfully been able to set up DDG on my computer. Full discloure: My computer is ancient - perhaps 9 years old and I've been unable to add OTHER browsers as well - they say they are incompatible with my system.

Any advice or suggestions to install DDG?

Thanks and aloha.

That is strange... when you go to duckduckgo.com, do you see the "Download duckduckgo browser" link? If so, what happens when you try to download and execute the installation package.

Also, what version of Windows (assuming that is your platform) are you running on that 9 year old computer? The current browser versions probably do not like Windows 7 anyone.

That is strange... when you go to duckduckgo.com, do you see the "Download duckduckgo browser" link? If so, what happens when you try to download and execute the installation package.

Also, what version of Windows (assuming that is your platform) are you running on that 9 year old computer? The current browser versions probably do not like Windows 7 anyone.

Actually I use a mac 10.10.5 and try downloading the DDG for mac. I forget exactly what happens but IIRC essentially "nothing." I've tried half a dozen other browsers and they "download" but then say "can't be used with mac version 10.10.5" or similar language. With DDG, It was sorta like nothing happened when I clicked on the install pkg. It's been a while. Too lazy to try again just to see what it looks like.

I guess I'll just have to BTD and buy a computer. It seems silly to buy a new computer when this one w*rks okay (except it won't let me add anything!):cool:

I have been using FireFox browser for years and am very happy with it. Unlike that other browser, FireFox is focused on spying on me. It works great with DuckDuckGo.

I have been using FireFox browser for years and am very happy with it. Unlike that other browser, FireFox is focused on spying on me. It works great with DuckDuckGo.

Yeah, I just now tried it again and got the same message. My computer version is too old. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and BTD.

The strangest thing happened to me the other day.

We were on our way home from our final visit to DS and DD before a trip driving from Texas to Florida the next morning. On the way home we stop by a gas station to fill up from ~1/2 tank for the road trip early the next morning.

I do my usual thing of scanning my card and getting the gas started (or so I thought). Then my routine is to walk around the truck checking things out, tires, etc. I get back around and the gas seems done and the total is $44. A bit higher than normal but I didn't give it much thought. Put the nozzle back in the pump and go home and go to bed.

When we are pulling out of the driveway the next morning, I notice that the tank is only 1/2 full. Very strange since I topped it off the night before. I start thinking that perhaps I didn't reset the pump and the $44 that I saw was from the previous customer and that's why I didn't get gas after all.

A couple days later when we are done our road trip and back in Florida I import my transactions into Quicken and my credit card includes the $44 charge from the gas station! WTH?

I still have no earthly idea what the heck happened and how the pump could charge me $44 but I didn't get any gas. I disputed the charge with the credit card company and they said that they have given me a credit but it hasn't shown up yet.

Has anyone ever had anything like that happen? First for me. Very odd.

ETA: And no, it has no connection to the older Americans drinking too much thread. :D

pump calibration failure

I had the exact opposite happen on a road trip in alabama. pump worked but meter hung. we paid cash knowing that it was at least 20 bucks for the 22 gallon tank in the Delta 88. Told the attendant to get the meter serviced.

The strangest thing happened to me the other day.

We were on our way home from our final visit to DS and DD before a trip driving from Texas to Florida the next morning. On the way home we stop by a gas station to fill up from ~1/2 tank for the road trip early the next morning.

I do my usual thing of scanning my card and getting the gas started (or so I thought). Then my routine is to walk around the truck checking things out, tires, etc. I get back around and the gas seems done and the total is $44. A bit higher than normal but I didn't give it much thought. Put the nozzle back in the pump and go home and go to bed.

When we are pulling out of the driveway the next morning, I notice that the tank is only 1/2 full. Very strange since I topped it off the night before. I start thinking that perhaps I didn't reset the pump and the $44 that I saw was from the previous customer and that's why I didn't get gas after all.

A couple days later when we are done our road trip and back in Florida I import my transactions into Quicken and my credit card includes the $44 charge from the gas station! WTH?

I still have no earthly idea what the heck happened and how the pump could charge me $44 but I didn't get any gas. I disputed the charge with the credit card company and they said that they have given me a credit but it hasn't shown up yet.

Has anyone ever had anything like that happen? First for me. Very odd.

ETA: And no, it has no connection to the older Americans drinking too much thread. :D

I don’t have an explanation but I always pump until the pump handle clicks off and then squeeze the handle until it clicks off again. That signals full tank at least for my car. Then I divide my trip meter miles by the gallons pumped to get the mpg for the last tank used before resetting it.

Any chance at all someone on the other side or in front/behind you noticed you didn't seem too alert, and moved the pump to their car and pumped $44 into their car and put the nozzle back in your car after it shut off?

Another possibility is that you had a lot less in the tank than you thought, and the pump shut off prematurely but still put $44 in.

If your gas was at half a tank and you had half a tank the next morning then something was fishy...

I do not think this can happen on the pumps now but I worked at a gas station in high school... some guy complained that (at the time BTW) that there was no way that our pump was correct... he put something like 22 gals in a car with an 18 gal tank... and said he was not near empty.... we asked how much he thought he owed and that is what we charged him...

We think, like you did, that the pump did not reset from the prior user... but he actually got gas so it is different than your post...

Young cashiers are getting worse. Had bill for $5.51, gave her a twenty dollar bill and 51 cents. She says her register displayed change of $14.50. I asked how that is, since the change should be $15.00.

Baffled, after some more discussion she gave me $15.00.
And so it goes.......

Young cashiers are getting worse. Had bill for $5.51, gave her a twenty dollar bill and 51 cents. She says her register displayed change of $14.50. I asked how that is, since the change should be $15.00.

Baffled, after some more discussion she gave me $15.00.
And so it goes.......

That's because in the USA we only teach math. In much of the rest of the world the kids are taught all the maths.:D

Seems no arithmetic is taught.

Why doesn't Walmart sell US road atlases in their stores? I can't find hard copy maps in brick and mortar stores. Had to order from Amazon and wait until tomorrow to get it.

Why doesn't Walmart sell US road atlases in their stores? I can't find hard copy maps in brick and mortar stores. Had to order from Amazon and wait until tomorrow to get it.

I'm surprised they still make them at all. Nowadays everything's on the cell phone or the satellite thing in your car. I loved those old Rand McNally road atlases. I still have one from 2008 and 1993.

Every once in a while I order some from AAA. Free, since I am a member. But I really can't remember the last time I opened one.

Every once in a while I order some from AAA. Free, since I am a member. But I really can't remember the last time I opened one.

That's what I should have done. I've ordered individual states from AAA before, but never thought that they had atlases. I ordered the "Adventure edition" from Amazon.

Quote:

I never leave the filler nozzle unattended. Too many things to go wrong - and this is a new one to me. YMMV

Last edited:
Switched DW from Red Pocket to ATT. Back 2 years ago she had to upgrade her phone since 3G was being discontinued and her phone wouldn't work. RP had a good deal on iPhone SE so bought that. Two years have passed and she could now switch her phone plan. So she called RP and got the code to port out her number. Went online to sign up for an ATT prepaid yearly plan like I have. Nope, her phone was still locked to RP. Called RP and after 2 days got them to unlock it. Then back to ATT. Three more frustrating days and finally got her phone activated. Had stumbling blocks every step of the way. Spent hours on my phone with different reps getting switched back and forth, dropped calls, hours on chat. ATT prepaid plans will not be serviced at an ATT store, only on phones or online chat.
What the heck is wrong with ATT? Can't do a simple thing like give them money. Her card was repeatedly refused and she finally had to use my credit card to fill her account.
Only reason we went to ATT is that is the only carrier where our cabin is.
And don't even get me started on the foreign reps ATT uses, can't understand them trying to speak English.

Back
Top Bottom