What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve today is internet sites that require people to log in at Facebook before commenting on articles. I refuse to do business with Facebook. When I find that I cannot comment on some articles, I leave those sites.

Well, that might be OK since the useless comments (most of them) are my pet peeve and accordingly just ignore them. But your comments might be quite alright. :D

And Facebook? Oye...don't get me started.

My pet peeve of the day is the superiority complex some people display by feeling the need to correct small grammatical errors made by others in a condescending manner. We all make mistakes. None of us are superior to another. Either let things slide or correct them in a helpful manner if they are your child or employee.

As the writer of the article correctly states:

It’s hard to take someone seriously when they use incorrect punctuation.

Thus, people who might otherwise have very valid points run the real risk of having their message overlooked........therefore it's self-defense and in one's best interest to be accurate.

There are numerous engineers hereabouts.....how many have said about their submitted projects "Well, it's only out by a couple percentage points", or a physician who said "It was only an extra zero on the dosage amount"?

There's also a well known case where a misplaced comma in a legal document, which changed the entire contract, cost one company a substantial amount of money.

Last edited:
Thus, people who might otherwise have very valid points run the real risk of having their message overlooked........therefore it's self-defense and in one's best interest to be accurate.

There are numerous engineers hereabouts.....how many have said about their submitted projects "Well, it's only out by a couple percentage points", or a physician who said "It was only an extra zero on the dosage amount"?

There's also a well known case where a misplaced comma in a legal document, which changed the entire contract, cost one company a substantial amount of money.

+1
When I was hiring people for jobs where communication was key, any resumes with more than one grammatical or spelling error went in the recycling bin.

As the writer of the article correctly states:

Yes, I agree it is best to be accurate. However, few always are and there's no reason to be condescending to those who make mistakes.
Are you saying engineers are always accurate? I had a career testing flight systems and satellite software systems. I found plenty of errors and worked with the engineers to resolve them. No false superiority complexes and no condescending attitudes. It was a team working together. Doctors often make mistakes. Lawyers love the mistakes a doctor or pharmaceutical company makes.
We all have our talents, gifts and skills. But nobody is superior to another nor should they be condescending to another. That's just arrogance.

.. there's no reason to be condescending to those who make mistakes.

Perhaps then, we should scrap the entire thread...after all we don't want to appear condescending towards wait staff who say "No problem", or who don't rapidly expedite bill processing, or drivers who make inappropriate decisions such as texting....etc...etc.

That aside, I merely linked to a website....no condescension intended on my part.

Perhaps then, we should scrap the entire thread...after all we don't want to appear condescending towards wait staff who say "No problem", or who don't rapidly expedite bill processing, or drivers who make inappropriate decisions such as texting....etc...etc.

That aside, I merely linked to a website....no condescension intended on my part.

You shared your pet peeve and I shared mine. If you feel the need to go to extremes, that's your choice. I don't believe for a second your last comment, but I hope it's true. I've just found having mutual respect goes a lot further towards a success in whatever your goal may be.

PPOTD today: After living in my house for over seven years I'm still getting mail for someone else, which in itself isn't so bad considering I've been negligent on writing "not at this address" or similar on the envelope and sticking it back in the mailbox. But lately, the frequency has increased quite a bit and now it's starting to include mail that is both X-rated and racially biased at the same time. USPS says there's nothing they can do.

PPOTD today: After living in my house for over seven years I'm still getting mail for someone else....

Don't feel bad. We were in the previous house for 16 years and still we'd get mail addressed to the previous owner. We sold it in 2002 and the guy who bought it from us is probably still getting junk mail addressed to me. Hope he likes computers and R/C airplanes....:D

We did find a way out of that though. Buy a brand new house in a location that was previously an apple orchard. Not once have we received mail for someone else with our address on it.

Don't feel bad. We were in the previous house for 16 years and still we'd get mail addressed to the previous owner. We sold it in 2002 and the guy who bought it from us is probably still getting junk mail addressed to me. Hope he likes computers and R/C airplanes....:D

We did find a way out of that though. Buy a brand new house in a location that was previously an apple orchard. Not once have we received mail for someone else with our address on it.

My home was built on land that was once a peach orchard. Google Maps still doesn't recognize it after 9 years.

Mail is a funny thing at times. I occasionally get mail addressed to "Estate of Braumeister" and I also get emails addressed the same way. No idea how that got started.

Alas, reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. :LOL: :facepalm:

My pet peeve today is gifts that are not acknowledged .

+1 We might be in the minority on this, but

When I was still able to arrange a sitter for my mother, and get dressed to go to a wedding, and my Dear Wife goes shopping for shoes, dress,gown, hair done , nails done , pocketbook , and then cram cash into the envelope, I dont get a thank you note, let alone the wedding picture thank you. I have followed this up with the parents who threw the weddings. I get "oh we did everything for them, we left that part up to them". Oh really. Well then you failed in raising them to be polite and thankful. Im sure they will enjoy my money on divorce lawyers, they werent grown up enough to get married and know good manners.

Totally agree. Ungrateful nephews and nieces and now grandkids can't even text a thank you message for a birthday card with cash in it or a Christmas gift. DW says it is just the way it is now. I bite my tongue.

I quite agree. This is just basic good manners. Fortunately most of my relatives seem to have brought up their offspring well enough to write thank you notes. The branch of the family where this does not happen no longer gets gifts from me.

People who try to "save" beach or pool chairs at a hotel or resort by putting towels or personal items on them early in the morning.

PPOTD today: After living in my house for over seven years I'm still getting mail for someone else, which in itself isn't so bad considering I've been negligent on writing "not at this address" or similar on the envelope and sticking it back in the mailbox. But lately, the frequency has increased quite a bit and now it's starting to include mail that is both X-rated and racially biased at the same time. USPS says there's nothing they can do.

I still get mail for the person who sold the house in 1987!!! Plus the 2 other owners after him...

A lot are mailing for professional seminars etc. that I cannot send back, but sometimes I get something that is important... once I got a check for a good amount of money... I was not paying attention to the name on the envelope and opened it up... wondered what the check was for and then saw their name... sent that back, but who knows what happened to it..

We all have our talents, gifts and skills. But nobody is superior to another nor should they be condescending to another. That's just arrogance.
one thing that is a plague is smartphone auto correct which is often wrong. In that case, they would be condescending to the device!

Edit: the lack of a leading capital after a bracket is a problem with Apple.

That shot wasn't very pleasant, but I would have taken 3 in place of every stinking Anthrax shot I had to take. Not only to mention all the side effects from the God-forsaken vaccine. :mad:

I've never had so much as a sore arm from anthrax. All my friends have reactions so I know I'm the odd ball here, but it's a non-event for me. I don't know why my reaction is so mild in comparison to others.

That shot wasn't very pleasant, but I would have taken 3 in place of every stinking Anthrax shot I had to take. Not only to mention all the side effects from the God-forsaken vaccine. :mad:

As many know, the anthrax vaccine often leaves a hard nodule under the skin, it can take quite a while for it to go away. One of the SEALs I worked with told me of a SEAL in his unit that got the nodule pierced and wore a ring through it. That's messed up.

People making up new and unnecessary and annoying terms. The latest one which bugs me is 'price point', which apparently simply means 'price'. I'm sure the folks who use 'price point' have a rationale for using it. Yeah, I get that the price can be set at various 'points'. Everyone gets that! Geez!

People making up new and unnecessary and annoying terms. The latest one which bugs me is 'price point', which apparently simply means 'price'. I'm sure the folks who use 'price point' have a rationale for using it. Yeah, I get that the price can be set at various 'points'. Everyone gets that! Geez!

Except that “price point” is a legitimate term in business, with a specific meaning. So you can be peeved that the term is inappropriately used, but you cannot legitimately be peeved that it exists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom