What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough with the cable tv MARATHONS:mad:

Ch 14 oxygen: ‘snapped’ from 5pm to at least 12 am
ch 15 wgn: bluebloods from 5 to 10 PM
ch 35: nbc sports American ninja warrior 6pm to 2am
ch 36: food network I was actually shocked to see that, for a few hours anyway, it's something other than diners drive-ins and dives!
ch 39: tru-tv either the carbonaro effect or impractical jokers till 1am

ch 41 E the kardashians i think it’s been on all day & no end in sight!
ch 42 A&E I think storage wars has been on all day and it doesn't look like it'll end until 3 AM
ch 47: comedy central south park until 12 am
ch 48: AMC!! THE WALKING DEAD HAS BEEN ON ALL DAY & WON’T STOP UNTIL 4AM!
ch 52 & 53 TNT & USA. Might just as well name them the law & order networks

ch 54 paramount: bar rescue till 3 am
ch 55 TLC *remember when this was the *learning* channel ? Sister wives till 2 am
ch 56 Discovery *see above* fast & loud all night!
ch 70 headline news some patty hearst special until 10 then forensic files all night
Now even IFC independent film channel, which used to show, you know, films……now has entire days & nights of shows like Mash!

Guess it’s time to look into dumping cable & streaming

One channel had the Borne series of movies and last week someone had Harry Potter movies... not sure if they had the last ones (which I did not see) so I recorded them to check out...

This seems to happen around a holiday (or maybe rating time)... some might have to do with the Olympics....

A lot of people don’t realize extended warranty prices are negotiable. I paid $700 for an extended warranty on my Acura. The entire A/C system had to be replaced after the original warranty expired and would have cost over $1400.

I bought the extended warranty on my Lexus and it looked like it was going to be a complete waste of money. Then, with one month left to go on the warranty, the control arms cracked. It was a $4,500 repair and warranty covered the entire thing. The warranty cost me around $1,600, so it turned out to be a good deal for me.

A true “pet” peeve: Our labradoodle needs to stop and sniff every 20 feet or so. I leave him at home when I want to take a brisk walk for exercise.
Our 11 year old Maltse does that when he's tired, generally after a mile from home. I pick all 13 pounds of him up and carry him. Good luck with the Labardoodle.😁

Inexplicable Windows Stupidity I

Drag-and-drop is every where in Windows, but if I want to put something in the Start Menu, I can't drag and drop:

FntG592.jpg

Not only that, but many things cannot be "pinned" to the Start Menu, and once there, you can't access the icon's properties or, for example, change the icon.

You can do these things with at tedious series of steps, but why can't the computer do it?

Inexplicable Windows Stupidity II

A quick way to open recently used files is a great idea. In Windows 10, you can supposedly do it from the taskbar:

Q1kD0VP.jpg

The problem is that it just does not work. I have not opened those "recent" files that you see in that image for a long time. Not only that, but the pinning has problems, too.

The problem is that it just does not work. I have not opened those "recent" files that you see in that image for a long time. Not only that, but the pinning has problems, too.
I think the problem is that you just need to buy the "new and improved" version of Windows. :LOL:

Two peeves today:
The daily melt and refreeze every day for at least several week now. It is a nightmare to walk and drive each morning.
And those press to seal ziplock-type baggies (the ones with the very narrow, flimsy channel) that are impossible to seal all the way.

Those look heavier. They probably do hold up better.

I agree Yaktrax are kinda disposable, but I do keep a few pair in vehicles and at home. If we ever see winter here I may check out a pair of these. Thanks.
The Yaktrax come off easily and you can lose them. Also, where the rubber is threaded through the spiraled steel, it creates a pinch point and the rubber fails there. I used to buy them at REI and just return them when they failed, but moved on to Microspikes and have been super happy. If you have small feet, there are Chinese knockoffs on eBay very cheap.

OK, I can't take it any longer. Who told the TV weatherman he has to take a step forward, then a step back every 10 seconds? Is it supposed to make the weather more interesting? Every time. One step forward, one step back. Wow, I'm enthralled. Thanks for listening.

Who told the TV weatherman he has to take a step forward, then a step back every 10 seconds? Is it supposed to make the weather more interesting? Every time. One step forward, one step back. .

"But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane..."

In bad winters like this one, I go through a couple pairs of Yaktrax. I am going to try an alternative, so thanks for the suggestions. They are absolutely imperative here in MN. Some winters I don't need them at all, but this winter is very bad.

On a more positive note, one "perk" of still working is a snow day!! We have one today in anticipation of a big system of freezing rain/snow about to hit. Nothing more luxurious than a snow day, especially on a Monday :)

YakTrax-like things are so common in Sweden that some restaurants have little rubber things at the door that you put over your spikes. That's easier than taking the spikes off.

tUo71bZ.jpg

my pet peeve?
dingbats on facebook who constantly want to "sale" an item instead of "sell" it.
same with people who "seen" something rather than "saw" it.
and the complete overuse of the word "amazing".
solving world hunger would be amazing. the coffee barista really is not.

Those same people probably label non-terrifying things as "terrific". :facepalm:

Whoa now. You're getting close to another peeve.

Terrific.... terrifying.... terrible....? They all involve "terror" but as time goes on meanings of words shift. My vacation might have been "terrific" but in the 21st Century that would mean I had a really good time. Thomas Jefferson might ask me "What manner of harm befell you that your vacation would be terrific? And I'd say "No, I mean it was really good, Thomas" And he'd say something like: "Well, back in my day....."

The gratuitous addition of the word "right?" appended to sentences has become pervasive, especially by folks younger than about 40 years old. To some degree, it is replacing "you know". Many folks being interviewed for radio will throw in "right?" after many and sometimes even most of their sentences.

The gratuitous addition of the word "right?" appended to sentences has become pervasive, especially by folks younger than about 40 years old. To some degree, it is replacing "you know".

HA! Well, at least we're making some progress

DH and I walked through a Crate & Barrel last week and were called “guys” by three different staff people: one a 30-something, two of them our age; two women, one man. Next time we will toy with them and call them “guys” right back. Would that be wrong?

DH and I walked through a Crate & Barrel last week and were called “guys” by three different staff people: one a 30-something, two of them our age; two women, one man. Next time we will toy with them and call them “guys” right back. Would that be wrong?

Why would you even notice that? It's very common in many places to use "guys" as a simple, informal, generic term for "ladies and gentlemen."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom