What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I am checking out at the grocery store and the clerk asks me, "Did you find everything?"

Why else would I be in line checking out? If I hadn't found everything, I'd still be shopping...

blueskyk, do you feel that the cashier should be aware of your shopping habits, which apparently are quite different than EarlyBirdly's shopping habits.

Q: Did you find everything you needed?

A: I found the duct tape and the rope...Do you sell axes, plastic sheeting and shovels? Oh, and I also need bleach and some quick-lime. Do you have those?

EarlyBirdly, why would you ask the cashier if the store sold axes, plastic sheeting, shovels, etc..? When you are checking out is probably not the best time to ask because if you then learn that the store does have those items, you would have to get out of line (which is a hassle, especially if people are in line behind you) to get the items and then get back in line. Or, you could check out twice.

Last edited:
As a crossing guard, do you have any type of enforcement "stick" with regard to unsafe driving near a school? Seems you are in a bit of a grey zone--not a cop (with power to arrest), but employed by a government entity to enhance safety. Just wondering.

We work for the police department but our "power" is very limited. The only thing I'm allowed to enforce is keeping children in the crosswalk. We are not allowed to direct traffic or tell drivers what to do. When I'm in the crosswalk with my stop sign if I see a car getting ready to turn I politely hold up one finger, kind of a "now just wait until I'm done" gesture. When they wait until I'm back on the curb I smile and give a Thank You wave.

If we see a driver who presents a danger we can report a description and plate number and an officer will follow up but they have to see an infraction to issue a ticket.

Last edited:
Idiot drivers. I saw this person pull out to pass and realized there was no way they were going to make it. We took the berm, grateful it was clear, as she passed someone in my lane. If we didn't go off the road she would have hit us head on at ~80mph. Really stupid as her Jeep Liberty wouldn't have had the best time against a full size pickup. There was a passing lane a mile away but I guess she was in a really big hurry.

Idiot drivers. I saw this person pull out to pass and realized there was no way they were going to make it. We took the berm, grateful it was clear, as she passed someone in my lane. If we didn't go off the road she would have hit us head on at ~80mph. Really stupid as her Jeep Liberty wouldn't have had the best time against a full size pickup. There was a passing lane a mile away but I guess she was in a really big hurry.

Bad driving has really gotten out of hand everywhere. Last Sunday on the Interstate I take to get to work during the week there was a 131 car pileup with 71 injured and 1 fatality. The actual cause of the accident hasn't been released yet but there was video of the chain reaction further back. Snow covered roads with blowing snow and ice and people still weren't slowing down. Everyone is in too big of a hurry. It doesn't help when one of their hands is holding a phone.

Agreed - would like to hear from law enforcement - are they overwhelmed or indifferent?

Probably overwhelmed. I've been retired for 16 years and haven't been in a uniformed position since 1991 but we were pretty much overwhelmed back then.

One story: Driving up the interstate one day I looked over to the right lane and saw a guy with a book propped up on the steering wheel. So I pull him over and tell him I'm going to write him a ticket for "Failure to pay full time and attention", which is a traffic violation in MD. His response was "But I wasn't speeding!"

Which simply confirms that Ron White was correct:

Every single table in every restaurant I have been to out of the last 5 was wobbly.
EVERY. SINGLE. TABLE.

It’s not just annoying, it results in spills.
Seems there is a market to sell some cheap little wedges to restaurants around the country to solve this very common problem.

A solution for you: $7

wonkey1.jpg

https://www.coolthings.com/wonkey-a-table-wedge-right-on-your-keyring/

Or you could make your own disposable wedges.

People who send you a PM, ask very specific questions. You give them very specific answers and they go to radio silence. A simple thank you is appreciated.

You forgot to mention that the other hand is holding either a breakfast burrito or a mascara brush.

I only wish I were kidding.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...s-alleged-cellphone-was-mcdonalds-hash-brown/

A Connecticut man is challenging his conviction on a charge of distracted driving, claiming he was eating a McDonalds hash brown, not talking on his cellphone. No, this isn’t anything like Dan White’s supposed Twinkie Defense — the guy sounds like he has a legitimate case.

It should be trivial to check his phone to see if it was in use at the time. I'd fight it too.

Every single table in every restaurant I have been to out of the last 5 was wobbly.
EVERY. SINGLE. TABLE.

It’s not just annoying, it results in spills.
Seems there is a market to sell some cheap little wedges to restaurants around the country to solve this very common problem.
It's a simple resolution; when the waiter tries to seat me, I test the table and if it wobbles, I tell them it won't do and ask for another. Oh, and to please check first that it doesn't wobble. I think I may change this up next time and when I am at the hostess desk, ask that they check that the table doesn't wobble before we are seated.

It doesn't have to be in a condescending or irritated voice. Requires no background, history or further explanation. It's just a little request that the table is checked to not be wobbly is all. "Oh dear! Waiter, this won't do at all, the table is much too wobbly for my comfort."

Many areas have "distracted driving" laws, which could include eating while driving.

-ERD50

But how often are they enforced? We have "no cell phone" laws where I live, yet I see people on on the phone while driving all the time.

Receiving a check (for the second time in two months!) from my company's retiree HRA fund for my wife where they apply 2019 funds to 2018 medical expenses/premiums. Yet another check that we will need to return, and like last time, it will be on our time and our dime (postage). Benefits company refused to cancel the previous check despite it being *their* mistake.

But how often are they enforced? We have "no cell phone" laws where I live, yet I see people on on the phone while driving all the time.

Laws here but NO ENFORCEMENT. If we see infractions the police must too.

Saw a guy with a mac book pro laptop on his steering wheel, his neck crooked to hold his phone on is shoulder, pencil in his mouth and was taking notes on spiral bound notebook while driving on the expressway the other day - approx 70 mph. Could tell from 1/2 mile back that this driver was either drunk , had a medical problem or was distracted. I am sure the police see this too.

Same issue as a pedestrian or bike riding - dangerous drivers everywhere. One friend was hit on his bike last year - will probably take another year before he is back physically to where he was. Driver said SORRY!! No police investigation regarding driver's phone but most likely distracted since it was a clear day with very little traffic.

This happened in October- multiple kids killed getting off the bus - most likely distracted driver

Saw a guy with a mac book pro laptop on his steering wheel, his neck crooked to hold his phone on is shoulder, pencil in his mouth and was taking notes on spiral bound notebook while driving on the expressway the other day - approx 70 mph.

I feel somewhat 'comforted' with the fact that, 30 years after leaving Riyadh, I still approach driving with the 'certain knowledge' that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me.

It's an acquired mindset that's proven extremely valuable.

....... 30 years after leaving Riyadh, I still approach driving with the 'certain knowledge' that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me............
Yea, that is what Jamal Khashoggi said, too. :cool:

I still approach driving with the 'certain knowledge' that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me.

Excellent attitude.

But driving in other countries can be a lot of fun, too. When I lived in Rio de Janeiro, most people drove small cars. So if you were on a one-way street with two lanes, it was not at all uncommon during the rush hour to have five cars abreast waiting for the light to change. And if the guy in the far right lane happened to decide he actually wanted to make a left turn, no problem! People would actually let him do so.

It would be a nightmare for the average US driver, but I kind of miss it.

The over use of the trendy term "journey" ....Everything is a journey now..

"my journey to stop eating donuts"
"our journey to decorating the mudroom"
"the nations journey to embracing quilted toilet paper"

Practically the only thing that isn't a journey anymore is a trip from A to B... :facepalm::facepalm:

The over use of the trendy term "journey" ....Everything is a journey now..

"my journey to stop eating donuts"
"our journey to decorating the mudroom"
"the nations journey to embracing quilted toilet paper"

Practically the only thing that isn't a journey anymore is a trip from A to B... :facepalm::facepalm:

Yes!

And the new term for contacting someone is to "reach out" to them.
Ick....

Somewhat related to driving:

Radio commercials that have horns honking in the background. It's not cute and is dangerous when you are driving a car and think you hear a horn as this tends to cause distractions as you feverishly look for the impending collision.

Everyone uses the mnemonic "Spring forward, fall back" as if it's a smart way to remember which way to turn your clocks.

But "Spring back, fall forward" makes just as much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom