What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who come up to me at the gym and, unsolicited, start talking about themselves. Not a "hey good morning" or "happy Monday"-- these are the "wow my workout is awesome today I'm super strong" or "ugh I took a week off now I am having to work twice as hard" then they go on about themselves. I'm really perplexed as to why people do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I phoned a new-to-me store I wanted to buy something from.

I wanted to know where within the huge strip mall complex they were located. I asked "where are you in relation to {name of big box megastore - anchor of mall}?"

I hoped for "one block east and two blocks south - near the Starbucks" or something.

Instead, I got "well.... if buildings were invisible, I could see {megastore} from here."

?!?

Roads that have 6 different names. You're asking directions and the helpful person says "...then turn right on Beulah...." but Beulah has been renamed "Hosehead Rd" by the time you get to it, and you're wondering where the heck Beaulah Rd is.....

PPOTD are those little stickers that are on apples at the grocery store. Normally apples are unbagged at the grocery stores around here so you can pick your own. Therefore every apple has one of those little stickers on it. I don't mind the stickers with the very small tab that you can grab and easily peel off the sticker. But a lot of the stickers seem like they are super-glued to the fruit. Sometimes there is no tab on the sticker so I can't dig them off without bruising the fruit. Some stick so well that I have to slice the sticker off. You can't even soak them off.
Come on! They don't need to be glued on like that. This one ticks me so bad that I may have even posted this one before in this thread. And with my memory I may forget and post it again in a few months since the problem never goes away.

Last edited:
People who come up to me at the gym and, unsolicited, start talking about themselves. Not a "hey good morning" or "happy Monday"-- these are the "wow my workout is awesome today I'm super strong" or "ugh I took a week off now I am having to work twice as hard" then they go on about themselves. I'm really perplexed as to why people do this.

You probably look real approachable but I can see how that is a PP for sure!

Bizarre billing errors.

DW loves SirusXM radio. We've never subscribed to the service but she really enjoyed the occasional free trials whenever they were offered. As a Christmas gift I attempted to go online yesterday to subscribe to the most basic service they offer. No luck in doing it on line, even with the assistance of a CS rep using the chat feature.

After contacting them by phone I learned the problem was due to multiple accounts and inconsistent spelling of my last name. The CS rep corrected the problem and consolidated all the accounts which allowed me to log on and subscribe - the first charge is scheduled to be $7.19 for the first month of service beginning in January.

Fast forward four hours when I received six emails from SiriusXM within a period of 15 minutes. The first five were confirmations of consolidating my account, changing passwords, etc. But number six was an eye-opener.

The final email was to confirm the transactions to my account earlier in the day. It listed the purchase of seven (7) separate one year subscriptions for two vehicles - three concurrent subscriptions for one vehicle and four for another. The total amount owed: $1,963.27. A far cry from the $7.19 bill I was expecting.

Another call to CS who said it was obviously a mistake and it would be corrected. Logging into my account this morning shows only the $7.19 amount, but I'm going to monitor the charges carefully.

I loved the free trial I had and the occasional free weeks but I've read too many posts about once you given SirusXM your CC info it's extremely hard to get them to stop charging you - especially after you quit their service. That's why I won't sign up with them.

The use of the word "your" for "you are" or the contraction "you're."
"Your" is possessive like in "your house." "You're" is a contraction for "you are happy" (or whatever).

Like this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 1.37.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 1.37.59 PM.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 30
PPOTD are those little stickers that are on apples at the grocery store. Normally apples are unbagged at the grocery stores around here so you can pick your own. Therefore every apple has one of those little stickers on it. I don't mind the stickers with the very small tab that you can grab and easily peel off the sticker. But a lot of the stickers seem like they are super-glued to the fruit. Sometimes there is no tab on the sticker so I can't dig them off without bruising the fruit. Some stick so well that I have to slice the sticker off. You can't even soak them off.
Come on! They don't need to be glued on like that. This one ticks me so bad that I may have even posted this one before in this thread. And with my memory I may forget and post it again in a few months since the problem never goes away.

The bagged apples are usually, but not always, local or tri-state apples grown apples that have been picked recently. The apples with the stickers are for "premium" apples that may be possibly up to two years old. The stickers have been stuck on for a long time and trace the lowly life of the apple though out its hangouts in the orchard, it's ripening history and location during the storage stage and the like.

That person who calls your phone more than once "oh sorry I was calling someone else". Wrong number dude! Please stop calling me especially at 2:30 AM!!
Thank goodness for Blocker app.

They're insecure and are looking for validation.

People my age and older that bitch about "kids today". In the past few days there have been these criticisms: they don't even know how to read analog clocks. They spend too much time playing video games. They have no work ethic. You can't understand any lyrics in their music. No one know how to fix a carburetor.

Guess what? The world is changing. Kids will probably be okay if they can't read an analog clock. If there is ever a need, anyone with average intelligence can quickly learn to read an analog clock. I never learned to use a slide rule, and I managed a career in science.

Some of those bums playing video games grew up to be drone operators or surgeons. The talent honed with the PS2 controller transferred nicely.

Almost all of my daughters' friends and acquaintances are gainfully employed and making their way in the world. No one hears about the good people...it's only the bad ones that make the news.

I hope I don't turn into a crotchety old lady.

You can't understand any lyrics in their music.

I grew up listening to what is now called "classic rock" (50s and 60s). I could never understand my father's continual carping "That's not music; it's just noise."

So today when I hear what the young folks are listening to I just smile to myself and think "Nothing ever changes, does it?" :LOL:

No one know how to fix a carburetor.

Maybe there's an app for that on their smart phones.:)

I grew up listening to what is now called "classic rock" (50s and 60s). I could never understand my father's continual carping "That's not music; it's just noise."

So today when I hear what the young folks are listening to I just smile to myself and think "Nothing ever changes, does it?" :LOL:

Except a lot of today's music "is just noise". :LOL:

Ha! At lunch today my 26 y.o. daughter said something to knock grandpa off his soapbox. He was carping about how the US government spends 4 cents to make every penny, and that's stupid and we don't need pennies anyway. DD chimes in "You're right. My generation could do without most currency because we do our transactions digitally. Maybe when the old farts are out of Congress and my generation takes over, we can make some progress on issues like that".

You go girl!

People my age and older that bitch about "kids today". In the past few days there have been these criticisms: they don't even know how to read analog clocks. They spend too much time playing video games. They have no work ethic. You can't understand any lyrics in their music. No one know how to fix a carburetor.

Guess what? The world is changing. Kids will probably be okay if they can't read an analog clock. If there is ever a need, anyone with average intelligence can quickly learn to read an analog clock. I never learned to use a slide rule, and I managed a career in science.

Some of those bums playing video games grew up to be drone operators or surgeons. The talent honed with the PS2 controller transferred nicely.

Almost all of my daughters' friends and acquaintances are gainfully employed and making their way in the world. No one hears about the good people...it's only the bad ones that make the news.

I hope I don't turn into a crotchety old lady.

Not to be on the grouchy old man side, but some of my sisters do complain about the younger generations... not the kids per se, but the ones working... as one said 'they do not strive for excellence'.... IOW, they just want to do the minimum required...

My sister who was a teacher said she heard a number of times from young teachers 'I do not know why they did not learn it, I taught it'.... well, if they did not learn it you did NOT teach it.... you were just up there talking...

No, it is not everybody.... but the percent that is slacking is growing...

Driving across town, stop at red light. Light turns green, nobody moves. Why? The person at the front of the line is texting.

Not to be on the grouchy old man side, but some of my sisters do complain about the younger generations... not the kids per se, but the ones working... as one said 'they do not strive for excellence'.... IOW, they just want to do the minimum required...

My sister who was a teacher said she heard a number of times from young teachers 'I do not know why they did not learn it, I taught it'.... well, if they did not learn it you did NOT teach it.... you were just up there talking...

No, it is not everybody.... but the percent that is slacking is growing...

This has been going on forever....Even when the pilgrims came over they were complaining about the lazy able bodied youth back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has been going on forever....Even when the pilgrims came over they were complaining about the lazy able bodied youth back then.

Not sure where I read it but I understand the same complaint was lodged by the ancient Egyptians.

Too true.
One version, attributed to Socrates:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. And it's a new pet peeve for me. I don't choose to participate in bashing the youngsters and I think it's a shame that it seems to be a favorite activity of some of my acquaintances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom