What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, samclem, that reminds me of a buddy of my DH's, who shared an email account with his wife. The guys all played poker together, and would use email to set up the next game.

Also, having the brain power and judgment of 12 year old boys, they would also send inappropriate things via email to each other. And thus the rest of them received an email titled "dear poker people, do not send anything to this address ever again", which I still chuckle about, years later. He got his own email address.

Meadbh said:
Shared email addresses.
Wow you sure picked a hot one! I must admit that, if one of my contacts has a shared address, I just delete them from any lists, except maybe Christmas cards.

The reasons are more varied than I imagined! I have a lazy friend who lets his wife screen his mail. I just think it is the height of arrogance.

Coffee prices are up so of course the geniuses at marketing are shrinking the size of the coffee can while at the same time increasing the price. Once was 39 ounce can, then 34 ounce, then 33, now is down to 30 ounces.

Certified Mail. I know, that safer and all, but a time waster.

Christmas season and I've been getting strangers ringing hoping I'd let them in the lobby. So, today I get a ringer and I just ignored. Well, this was a real person, the postman. So, I get one of those cards to say, pick up the certified mail at the post office. I got to the post office but the mailman isn't back from his route yet to I gotta try again in the morning. At least the line wasn't that long :facepalm:.

OK.... just happened to me again....

When some software update CHANGES my homepage without my permission :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This has been happening more lately... and I look to see if they are trying to do it when they ask me for an update as that is sneaky also... if you do not check this box in the middle of a paragraph we will change your settings... REALLY...

Coffee prices are up so of course the geniuses at marketing are shrinking the size of the coffee can while at the same time increasing the price. Once was 39 ounce can, then 34 ounce, then 33, now is down to 30 ounces.

Ah! I have found some satisfaction. Price-Rite had their own version of the 34 ounce can, and for only $4.99 ! So I bought one and am hoping it is as good as the microsized overpriced stuff at the other stores.

A simple little landscape project around a new shed I had put in this fall. I just wanted some natural flagstone steps that match some similar stones this landscaper installed for me last year. They bring wrong color and wrong type. Why can't things go as planned?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

MIL recently died due to a lengthy illness. DW has 4 siblings. Since they all are aware that I manage our investments DIY style @ VG, several of them asked for my advice as to what to do with their 6 figure share of the inheritance. I told DW to tell them that she (we) were going to sell all stock/bonds in her part and park the cash in a savings account for further consideration at a later date. Also DW recommended that they read Bogleheads Guide to Investing.

As of today, none have taken any action on the inheritance and none has even purchased the book. Sorta what I expected.

I told DW to tell them that she (we) were going to sell all stock/bonds in her part and park the cash in a savings account for further consideration at a later date...

As of today, none have taken any action on the inheritance ...

Actually that might be a positive. Having a bunch of cash sitting in an easily accessible savings account could be a "I wanna buy" temptation difficult for many to resist.

Yesterday our internet, cable, and telephone went out. No big deal, happens a few times a year.

But Suddenlink doesn't have a status line phone number. So thousands of people call tech support to find out what's going on, and there are therefore hold times of over ten minutes.

Even when service is fine, users will call in to verify that problems they are having are local their own equipment.

All they'd have to do is have a dedicated "status line" with a message on it. It would answer with a recording "We are experiencing problems, and hope to have the system fixed by 10 AM" or "There are currently no system problems reported."

Be careful what you wish for. I'd previously signed up with our electric provider for phone updates on outages. Yesterday I received no less than 20 calls saying that my power was out, then how long it would take, then telling me that power was restored. Best part? Power never went out!

All they'd have to do is have a dedicated "status line" with a message on it. It would answer with a recording "We are experiencing problems, and hope to have the system fixed by 10 AM" or "There are currently no system problems reported."

Update:

Because I'm a feedback-aholic, I sent an email to Suddenlink with my suggestion. I got a call back from someone there thanking me, and giving me a dedicated number to call if I have any future suggestions.

I really waste too much time sending feedback to companies.

Restaurants that serve salads with giant pieces of lettuce. I realize it looks pretty, but you look ridiculous trying to eat a salad that way. I love the arugula salad at Panera but they don't chop the arugula at all, they are whole leaves. It's aggravating.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I really waste too much time sending feedback to companies.
I've cut way back. Every time I rented a car at Avis I'd get a 10 minute survey to fill out. I did it a few times, now I don't.

I think companies want to be seen as responsive to customers, so they put out these surveys. It's just marketing, I don't think they use the info. Lots of studies have shown that suggestion boxes in businesses actually reduce morale--people who put in a suggestion get mad when things don't change.

If a company wants my feedback as part of a genuine effort to improve their business, then they'll give me something valuable for my time used to provide feedback. That goes some distance to proving it's more than just window dressing and is really worth something to them.

I've cut way back. Every time I rented a car at Avis I'd get a 10 minute survey to fill out. I did it a few times, now I don't.

I think companies want to be seen as responsive to customers, so they put out these surveys. It's just marketing, I don't think they use the info. Lots of studies have shown that suggestion boxes in businesses actually reduce morale--people who put in a suggestion get mad when things don't change.

If a company wants my feedback as part of a genuine effort to improve their business, then they'll give me something valuable for my time used to provide feedback. That goes some distance to proving it's more than just window dressing and is really worth something to them.

Yeah, several years ago there were a couple of chain restaurants that gave a free dessert or appetizer good at your next visit if you completed a phone survey concerning your latest dining experience. I think Chili's and Famous Dave's did this for a while. Now all you get is a "chance" to win something for completing the survey. Unless we are guaranteed to get something, why bother unless is was a bad experience.

I used to routinely get surveys from the Wall Street Journal with a crisp $5 bill in them. The accompanying letter said something like "If you don't need this, perhaps it can brighten the day of a child you know."

That always made me feel good so I responded to their survey.

Vanguard... I'm usually an fan but I tried to do my 2015 Roth conversion today and they wouldn't let me because I did a partial recharacterization of my 2014 Roth conversion back in March 2015. The rep said I couldn't do another Roth conversion until 2016. I'm pretty sure they have it wrong. We'll sort it out tomorrow

Vanguard... I'm usually an fan but I tried to do my 2015 Roth conversion today and they wouldn't let me because I did a partial recharacterization of my 2014 Roth conversion back in March 2015. The rep said I couldn't do another Roth conversion until 2016. I'm pretty sure they have it wrong. We'll sort it out tomorrow

I've been trying to transfer 2 rollover IRAs into my Vanguard account for almost a month now and they are dragging their feet. I guess they don't want my money. I've had Vanguard for my ROTH for 10 years without problem but this is really getting on my nerves. I guess Vanguard isn't ALWAYS good.

I've been trying to transfer 2 rollover IRAs into my Vanguard account for almost a month now and they are dragging their feet. I guess they don't want my money. I've had Vanguard for my ROTH for 10 years without problem but this is really getting on my nerves. I guess Vanguard isn't ALWAYS good.

They are pitiful on that. In fact I renewed a CD until this January just so I could avoid the paperwork last year because it was the second rollover and I couldn't physically touch the money. Next month I can just get the check from bank and mail it to Vanguard and skip all that crap.
But their brokerage is worse. I had to call their desk to make a transaction today that any other brokerage would allow. They say they don't allow manual purchases of variable interest securities. Then I had to lay the phone down on the arm rest to let him read the highlights of the prospectus that I had practically memorized prior to calling. I would drop them but I fear more paperwork, and probably would have to sell my illiquids to do it, which I will not do as I worked too hard to get them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad has been trying to rollover his 401k to Vanguard and can't get the concierge to call him or email him. Hasn't heard from them in a week. He's talking about trying Fidelity now.
I had an old rollover that I moved to Vanguard after reading the raves about them. The concierge took care of everything but it took over a month to get the transfer done. It was an "in kind" transfer so it wasn't like I had to wait for anything to be liquidated. I haven't had an easy time getting a return call. I have to call and leave messages a couple of times to get a call back.

My dad has been trying to rollover his 401k to Vanguard and can't get the concierge to call him or email him. Hasn't heard from them in a week. He's talking about trying Fidelity now.
I had an old rollover that I moved to Vanguard after reading the raves about them. The concierge took care of everything but it took over a month to get the transfer done. It was an "in kind" transfer so it wasn't like I had to wait for anything to be liquidated. I haven't had an easy time getting a return call. I have to call and leave messages a couple of times to get a call back.

Words "rollover" and "transfer" are used synonymously but aren't. A rollover is when you put your paws on it. A transfer occurs between institutions. Anytime I have used a rollover it was painless and quick. Anytime I have used a transfer its a pain and something is screwed up. Just last month I personally had to send the document request to original company as they said they never received the request from bank. I know they did because a rep saw on screen time and date it was sent.
With a rollover to Vanguard all I had to do was get the check and have it written out in care of me through Vanguard Fiduciary Trust Co. I put a little sticky note on it telling them which fund I wanted it deposited to and on the check also and it was available in less than 5 days...Eliminating the "gophers" saved me heartache. Unfortunately it went so smooth I decided to rollover another one and that is when I found out you can only do it once every 12 rolling months. So I elected to just renew CD and avoid frustration and paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My pet peeve is getting phone calls looking for a deadbeat who shares my (very common) name. They generally assume I'm a thief, even though they just picked my number out of a phone book.

Today I had one where she hung up on me because she thought I was being rude for asking her questions about how they got my number.

I take solace in the fact that she must really hate her job, while I'm FI and only working because my job is fun.

Well, after three conversations with my Flagship rep today... one this morning to discuss the situation, another this afternoon to complain about the lack of a resolution (squeaky wheel gets the grease) and a third one where they had a resolution, conceded that I was right and did the Roth conversion.... the situation is finally resolved. Given the S&P index went down today I came out ahead by over $1,000 so in a backasswards way they did me a favor.

The thing that bothers me is that 95 out of 100 people in a similar situation probably would have accepted what the rep told them that you couldn't do another conversions until 2016 and pushed back hard like I did to get the right answer.

Last edited:
Church Parking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The members of the Lutheran Church across the street.
One car parked immediately to the north of my driveway, one car parked immediately to the south, and more in front of and behind them.

I can't see a damn thing in either direction when I leave.

The kicker is that there's a big parking lot to the south & to the east of the church but they refuse to use it because they're too damn lazy to walk a little further. And yes when I finally got out of my driveway safety, I drove through both lots & they were 80% empty.

Seriously, how can people be so stupid/ignorant enough to park that close to a driveway, when they see another car parked on the other side of the driveway & not realize that the person who lives there is going to have to back out into the street completely blind ?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom